What's new

Monster HTS-2600 Home Theater Power Center vs $9 Power Strip (1 Viewer)

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I decided it was time to finally take the plunge and step up from my basic power strips , I decided on a Monster HTS 2600.

The HTS-2600 retails for $349 but I bought mine off of Ebay for considerably less. Its a basic piece of equipment that absorbs mild power surges and cleans unwanted noise out of the power.
Most important to me is that is serves as a place to connect all of my equipment to and it looks cool.

I'll tell you the truth, i'd never have bought one of these at the full MSRP but after seeing it in person and using it , I now wish i'd bought one earlier.

I have owned alot of HT gear and not too often do I run across something build so nicely, the inside and bottom of the case is painted a nice glossy black, the front is thick brushed aluminum , thicker than anything Denon , Sony , Yamaha or other mid-fi component makers put out.
You only see this sort of quality on higher end stuff like Bryston, Krell and B&K.
The front left has a LED amp gauge and the from right has a LED volt gauge which after some testing are pretty accurate , although the increments are not enough to get exact numbers which is nice because who wants some flashing LEDs on there rack?
The LEDs are bright and neat looking and the Moster Power Center looks nice in my rack.

The 2600 has three boards, on the left is the power protection board, on the right is the EMI/RF board and the small one is the control board.

You can see on the Cyber Power strip that the board is all one unit.

The pictures don't do this thing justice, its built very nicely.

BTW the 2500 is pretty much the same except its $50 cheaper and does not have the Amp and Volt meters.

If your looking for a nicely build power center then you cannot go wrong with the one.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Nice impressions and pics, I am seriously considering buying this unit or the model under it (2500) if I can find a good price on either. Have you plugged you gear into it yet? Did not notice any improvements in picture or anything like that? I am wondering if getting a component style protector like this would be worth it over a decent standard protector, like the one in the link below. I guess if I can find a good price like you did it would. After looking at the 2500 specs the Joule rating is not all that impressive at 1,850 where as the 2600 is 2,960, so I think I will stick to that and see what I can find for prices on it.

http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...r.asp?pin=1901

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Did not notice any improvements in picture or anything like that? >>>>>>>>

No difference that is worth spending good money on IMO.

I am wondering if getting a component style protector like this would be worth it over a decent standard protector, like the one in the link below.
>>>>>>>.
Not for the reasons you have.

After looking at the 2500 specs the Joule rating is not all that impressive at 1,850 where as the 2600 is 2,960,
>>>>>>>>>>>
don't pay attention to the joule rating because none of Monster's units are going to help you if a major surge takes place and as far as minor ones go, most components were made to deal with those.

Buy it because its a very nice place to plug in your components and it looks nice...if money is a big deal to you then just pick up a $15 power outlet and you'll be just fine.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
or you can do wha tI ddi and get a $50 or so Belkin surge protector with unlimited connected equipment warranty and not have to worry about joules

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank

Could you define “major” and “minor” surge? If by major you mean something like a lightning strike than I would not really expect it to stand up to that, and I always try to unplug my equipment during a lightning storm anyway. But I would expect the unit to deal with a surge like the kind that can occur when the power goes off and comes back on again, this is the kind that concerns me most. When the power goes out I always try to unplug my gear as well, but I am not always home to do so, and sometime the power has flickered on and off several times very quickly giving me no chance to do so, I would expect a decent monster (or otherwise) surge protector to be able to handle this.

I have been finding pretty good prices on these units on e-bay, I found a 2600 for $225 on e-bay and I found the 2500 for $190 shipped here. http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sal...&lot_id=349760 Seems like a decent price, as I bet I will drop around $100 on a regular surge protector anyway. Does anyone know if buying this from an unauthorized dealer will void the warranty? Because most companies do when you buy something from an unauthorized internet dealer, I am looking for any such info on there site, so far all I have found is this “We recommend purchasing only from Authorized Monster Dealers, as they provide the highest levels of customer service, support, product information and assortment.” So it seems it does not matter where you buy as they do not mention a warranty void, but I want to make sure before I seriously consider buying it for someplace like e-bay.

Peter_W

Agent
But if you get the unit as a "gift", what is a manufacturer really going to say? I bought mine of ebay, and I like it. I'll do anything to get as clear a picture and sound as possible. Hey, if your going to spend this kind of money for a home theatre, will it really kill you to spend the money for the piece of mind and functions that the units provide?

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
I downloaded and read the owners manuel and it states that the warranty is void unless bought from an authorized relater, that point about getting it for a gift is good though, but I bet they still would not accept it.

Peter_W

Agent
You kidding me? I got the unit as a gift and you won't service the unit under warranty because of it? Remind me not to give your product to anyone as a gift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks