Monster Component Video Cables--NO IMPROVEMENT! :(

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianKiser, Aug 1, 2002.

1. BrianKiser

BrianKiser Extra

I finally broke down and bought component video cables for $90 tonight. I got home and plugged them in. After watched parts of several movies (both Superbit, regular, and even a poor DVD copy), I can''t tell a bit of difference! I switched from S-Video to Component using my tv controls, but no difference at all! What am I doing wrong?

Here's my equipment:

Toshiba 3109 DVD player (little bit old)
    Toshiba 57H81 widescreen HD (new)
    Monster Video 3 (salesguy said these were great)

This really bothers me. Please.. any information is welcome.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Brian,
    I'm not sure...could really be a number of things.
    1. Have you calibrated your HD set (by the way, a friend just got one and loves it! - awesome video) Try Avia DVD and adjust settings.
    2. Make sure cables are secure.
    3. Are you running the video at all thru a receiver? New receivers now allow this but it degrades the video.
    4. Let the cables break-in for a few days and see if it still exists.
    5. Check your store return policy and hold on to that receipt. I have found Tweeter and other chains to have reasonable return policies.
    6. Buy some Caig ProGold and pipe cleaners and clean the output connections on the 3109 and the new Monster. This can make a big difference sometimes.
    7. Double check the colors match the Toshiba inputs properly.
    These are few things to check in short order. Call your dealer after this if still no luck and return if possible.
    Hope that helps...[​IMG]

3. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    I don't think that Toshiba has progressive output, which is the advantage people tend to focus on when using component output. I would think you'd see SOME improvement with your player but not a night and day difference.

4. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    I would have to agree with Bob. You'll need a progressive DVD player to see the real benefits. As for cable break-in, I don't think that the voltage provided over the video signal is powerful enough to break it in except for over a VERY long time. There is also a very small difference in video quality from S-video to component.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If the cables provide no benefit to you then simply get your money back while you can, otherwise consider getting a different player to also evaluate. Don't blow the return period.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Brian: When Home Theater magazine compared all 3 connection types on a 50" reference TV, here is what they found:

Composite - Baseline
    SVideo - 20% improvement over Composite
    Component - 25% improvement over Composite

Do you see: it's only about a 5% improvement. And they admitted it took experienced TV reviewers to tell a difference at this level.

We are talking about small bits of improvement, or reductions in problems (color bleed, dot crawl, etc.)

Try this: take a movie with lots of bright colors. Something like Toy Story, Austin Powers, etc. Find a scene and FREEZE THE IMAGE. Now toggle back between SVideo and Component. Look at areas where contrasting colors intersect or are moving across each other. It may take several tries, but you should see a little bit more solid colors and less bloom with the component cables.

If you have Avia/Video Essentials, the video test patterns are also very good for this type of comparison. Patterns with fine-lines should appear a bit more detailed.

But it IS subtile, and you are getting small benefit from the component video cables. If this small improvement is not worth $90 to you, take the cables back.

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

8. JeffMuller

JeffMuller Stunt Coordinator

9. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Hey Brian! How's life in our fair capital?
    Others have given great advice on what component video does to a display - less bloom and deeper colors. Can be hard to notice unless you really look for it. The difference between plain old composite video and s-video is nothing short of eye-popping however.
    It they did nothing for you then a return is in order, maybe try a newer progressive scan player with some cheap AR component cables for a marked improvement?
    -edit- need to learn how to spell. And Lee, your math skills need some honing. [​IMG]

10. Warner

Warner Agent

It does not matter if your signal is progressive or not. A component connection carries three times the chroma resoultion of an S-Video connection, giving you crisper and more vivid color. The quality of your tv may affect how noticeable the difference is. I see that some on this forum have noticed the difference even on a 20" set. I did a comparison on my 36" set and saw the difference, never used S-Video on my 51", only component.

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

12. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Yep, everything is compared to the baseline of composite.
    The Home Theater magazine article also said that this was based on a 50" reference TV. The differences were LESS for smaller screen sizes, larger for bigger displays.
    Yet, there is a thread on "You Think there is no difference between SVideo and Component on small sets" where someone noticed a dramatic difference on just a 20" set.
    The pros, the wont use anything less than component if it's available.

13. Warner

Warner Agent

I'm not questioning the HT mag numbers, but simply out of curiousity, I and perhaps others, would be interested to know how they measured and/or quantified the improvement of S-Video and component over composite.

14. BrianKiser

BrianKiser Extra

It's very strange... I've heard that Component Video cables are really great, yet:

A) I have verified all my connections are secure.
    B) Am using a newer 57" HD widescreen (Toshiba 57H81).
    C) I have verified that I am not running my cables through the receiver.
    C) Have switched between S-Video and Component Video and carefully scrutinized the image pixel by pixel.

Conclusion: I can see absolutely no difference between S-Video and Component Video.

I have ordered both the Arias (sp?) and the Video Essentials DVDs in hopes of fine tuning my video into shape.
    I will probably (later) upgrade to a progressive scan DVD player, although my tv has an option that seems to darken the picture and has an effect "much like progressive scan DVD players" (I'm skeptical).

I am perplexed.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, and please feel free to keep 'em coming. Also, howdy to John from Louisville!

-Brian

15. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

To fine tune your image (and this is coming from a Tosh 43" RPTV user stuck in analog) one needs to check to see that certain parameters are addressed, or at least factored into the sets actual displayed image:

*Dedicated circuit for monitor(if at all possible)
    *More than HD .99 outlets
    *A quality Line conditioning for the monitor
    *Get inside your monitor and line the cavity with Duvo, or at least pitch black felt, and address the CRT's so they are shielded from mirror reflections
    *Clean the mirror when you are inside the monitor(and do it properly)
    *Disable SVM by disconnecting the wire leads on all three CRT's
    *Buy VE or Avia, and spend more than an hour with it.
    *Learn how to get into the monitors service mode to do 64(or the max) convergence. And do it every 6 months or so.
    *Hire an experienced ISF tech who knows your monitor to tune it up after it is seasonsed for 120 days
    * Do not do PC, laundry, or dishwasher duties during playback periods (and halogen lights are especially offending)
    *Install at least 8 Audioprism Quietlines throughout your domecile at points of "offending device intrusion", or at least on every circuit in your home
    *Buy the best component cable set you can afford (I recommend ZU Megular)
    *UNPLUG your CDP when not listening to it (switching power supplies raise hell, even in standby mode)
    *Buy a ground loop device (Jenson, Tributaries, Mondial, or RS Ohm clone) even if you do not suffer from said malady (I am assuming a cable hardwire feed)
    *Make sure you understand all the functions of your DVD player (as many units allow for user controls and modes
    * And always know that RFI/EMI is your systems mortal enemy( whatever measure you can effect to restrict their intrusion into your system will pay great benifits, both audio and visual)

This starter list should get you beyond "it's my damn shitty cable". It is more than a cable before you set the stage. YMMV, and IME.

Power cords , after the stage is set, afford more advantages.... but that is another topic ,another subject :?)

BOK

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Damn Bruce! You did all that? And you didn't line your room in mu metal?

17. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

18. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I'm finding a voice of reason in Chu Gai's posts! [​IMG]
    The cables didn't make any difference you can see. So, take 'em back.
    In the future, you may get a progressive scan DVD player. Then you'll need component cables again, but Monster is unnecessarily expensive. (Guess who pays for all of those ads? You!) You can get good AR cables for $25, and the "cable guys" around here can steer you to better premium choices than Monster.
    But so much is going to make a difference in your picture before premium cables have a visible effect that I'd worry about the cables last.
    Just don't use Amelie as a picture source for setting color! [​IMG]
    Jan

19. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

I just wanted to confirm that on a Toshiba 20" set with component and S-video connectors, I can easily see the difference between component and S-video, with the winner being component (and I used the same DVD player and same brand of cables--Better Cables--to compare).