What's new

Monster Cable vs. Blue Jean Cable????? (1 Viewer)

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
Well I don't know if this goes along with anything...and take this as you may...

But my friend's system he was running the Monster Subwoofercable and Y adapter to his B&W Sub. I don't remember which model cable, so I can't speak for it, but it was a tanned color, definitely on the higher end side of monster cable.... But anyways, I ordered and SVS sub and bought the BetterCables cable and he was wanting a longer cable (incase of moving the sub at some point), so I got him a bettercables cable as well. Well, all we did was switch the cable and when we checked the calibration on the sub, it was 3db hotter than it had been. The only thing we did was change the cable, so we changed it back to the MonsterCable and it was at it's normal calibration level. Put the BetterCables Subwoofer cable back on and it again got 3db hotter. I can't really explain that...but maybe there is truly a difference when it comes to shielding and what not with subwoofer cables...?!!?

All in all, I don't think I will ever get a MonsterCable unless I get a massive discount, the BlueJeansCables are just the same quality and a far cheaper price. I can't warrant any reason to buy Monster. Though like I said, if you work for a BestBuy or someplace and can get the $50 monster cable for $20, then it's definitely worth it! But they are almost the "Bose" of audio cables...except their products are good. lol Sorry couldn't resist that.

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
A/R (Acoustic Research).....mine work, I paid a "reasonable" amount, am very happy with how everything sounds and looks. And I'm sure they have a decent "budget" too. :D With Cables...the most important thing is the Connector/Cable interface. The rest of it with-in reason is vanilla. I ain't gonna hear it.....30+ years of Rock & Roll Concerts, Race Cars and Bikes, and Aerospace work flat guarantee it!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
OK, would someone please explain:

to me?

I don't have my component video cables "bundled together" anyway. :)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If we assume a velocity of propagation of 0.8 (electricity moves slower than the speed of light in a medium other than a vacuum) we can calculate what distance corresponds to 10 nanoseconds which is about 8 feet. So one way of looking at these claims is that cables are cut so they're accurate to within 8 feet. Timing errors can also result from a bad sync pulse (one with poor shape) and that's generally due to excessive capacitance. However virtually all video cables have a capacitance of around 16-17 pF/foot.
Myself, I'd see this as a potential problem in either very long lengths of cables (like those hideously long runs you find in stores that've got a hundred or so displays for you to look at where the signal can get weak (there are devices out there that can provide a good strong sync signal) or in situations where one is running gigabit networks.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Chu- I kind of thought so. Stupid marketing-speak. Let me add on to what you said to make it very clear:

So one way of looking at these claims is that cables are cut so they're accurate to within 8 feet of each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks