What's new

Monopoly - Skynet Edition (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Sounds cool to me. I love Monoploy and there's a very good chance I'll buy this or get it for a gift.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Performing calculations and tracking things according to a strict set of rules are exactly the sorts of things computers are good at. I love board games, but having to do that stuff manually is pointless. It's not actually a part of the gameplay, it's just another layer of work that stands between me and the game itself. I think this sounds like a great idea.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is there anyone who thinks Monopoly is fun? The ideal version of monopoly would be fully computerized, completely playing itself so I don't need to be involved at all.

Better yet, every copy of that game ought to be replaced by something enjoyable like Settlers of Catan.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
There are already PC versions of Monopoly -- it's pretty old in fact, isn't it? And IIRC a PS3 version was released recently. I guess this is a way of recreating some of the board game element as compared to a purely digital (i.e. electrons and pixels only) version, like the PC and console games.

I used to play a lot of History of the World, but never did try the PC version. Haven't gotten around to Settlers of Catan, though.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/magazine/17-04/mf_settlers?currentPage=all

But part of the reason we don't play much Risk and Monopoly as adults is that those are actually poorly designed games, at least in the German sense. Derk Solko, a garrulous former Wall Streeter who cofounded the Web site BoardGameGeek.com in 2000 after discovering Settlers, explains it this way: "Monopoly has you grinding your opponents into dust. It's a very negative experience. It's all about cackling when your opponent lands on your space and you get to take all their money." Monopoly, in fact, is a classic example of what economists call a zero-sum game. For me to gain $100, you have to lose $100. For me to win, you have to be bankrupt. Gouging and exploiting may be perfect for humiliating your siblings, but they're not so great for relaxing with friends.

German-style games, on the other hand, avoid direct conflict. Violence in particular is taboo in Germany's gaming culture, a holdover from decades of post-World War II soul-searching. [...]

Instead of direct conflict, German-style games tend to let players win without having to undercut or destroy their friends. This keeps the game fun, even for those who eventually fall behind. Designed with busy parents in mind, German games also tend to be fast, requiring anywhere from 15 minutes to a little more than an hour to complete. They are balanced, preventing one person from running away with the game while the others painfully play out their eventual defeat. And the best ones stay fresh and interesting game after game.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
part of the attraction of Monopoly for kids (and for parents to encourage kids) is the counting of the money, and other mathematics involved during the game play. dont mess with it!! As an adult --- I HATE THIS GAME !! (unless playing kids that are learning how to add etc).

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I used to love playing Monopoly when I was a teen, and always preferred playing by the instruction manual. The whole house rules thing, which tends to cause arguments, is why I lost interest in this game (along with UNO).

The only house rule that I was okay with, was once all the properties were bought, with none owning all of the ones of the same color, people have to trade, otherwise the game would go on forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks