Monkeys and Company Policy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Carmona, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Start with a cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it.
    Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the other monkeys with cold water.
    After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result - all the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon, when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.
    Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.
    Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and place it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm! Likewise, replace a third
    original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth.
    Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked. Most of the monkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.
    After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana.
    Why not? Because as far as they know that's the way it's always been done around here.
    And that, my friends, is how company policy begins.

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

sounds to me like somebody's got a case of the mondays.

kevin t

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Henry,

As a manager, I am often faced with the exact opposite phenomenon: employees who decide to ignore established policies because they think they have a better (read: easier) way of doing a certain task.

While it is true that existing procedures should always be examined for possible improvement, poeple should realize that those procedures were probably established for good reasons.

4. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

^

| lumberg

j/k, brian

5. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Don't forget that we all have to go back to the same monkey business bright and early tommorrow morning.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Kevin that's one of my favorite movies. i think i'm gonna go watch it now...

7. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i felt it was appropriate given the nature of his post and since it is...well monday.

kevin t

8. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Consider that when a Monkey finally gets to the Bannana, that monkey gets to be the one spraying the rest of the Monkeys.

and that, my friends, is how we have managers.

9. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Pardon my french, but Holy Sh*t that sounds a bit to close to the truth.

Funny too.

10. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Reminds me of a sign a colleague at work has: "Logic is Illogica1", meaning you follow policy irrespective of whether or not it makes sense.

11. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona