What's new

'Money Monster' Review (Clooney, Roberts) (1 Viewer)

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
In Money Monster, George Clooney and Julia Roberts star as Lee Gates and Patty Fenn, a financial television show host and his producer, who are caught up in a bizarre, on-air hostage situation when a man named Kyle Budwell (Jack O'Connell) storms the set of Lee's show, Money Monster. An investor in a company called Ibis Clear Capital, Kyle lost his entire life savings when the company experienced what they call "a glitch" in their investment algorithm. Now Kyle wants Ibis' CEO, Walt Camby (Dominic West), to explain what happened to his money, and he's prepared to go to any lengths to get some answers.

In the scenes that follow, Money Monster more or less delivers what you might expect from a hostage thriller, as Kyle — your prototypical "little guy" who's been victimized by a greater evil (in this case, the big banks) — is driven to commit drastic acts out of sheer desperation. That being said, director Jodie Foster and writers Jamie Linden, Alan DiFiore and Jim Kouf do manage to mix it up by throwing a few curveballs at the audience, livening up the drama with frequent and funny jabs at the state of both mainstream journalism and social media.

3.5 out of 5

Click here to read my full review.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My film grade is 4 out of 5. A very entertaining film in which Clooney and Roberts display their good film chemistry again. Being only 95 minutes long helps the film too. I didn't know Jodie Foster directed the film until I saw the end credits.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Though predictable, I liked 'Money Monster'. The Booth Bijou gives it 4 out of 5 stars.

Mark

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
IMO, you can say that about most of the films I enjoyed over the years. The number of them that are not flawed are few and far between.

Yeah - but some are more flawed than others. I think "MM" had bigger plot holes/stretches of credulity than I'd like.

For instance: Kyle's entrance to the TV set. Some weird guy skulks about in the background of the set and no one calls security? Seriously?

And there are plenty of other instances. Like I said, I enjoyed it, but tighter logic would've made it better...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah - but some are more flawed than others. I think "MM" had bigger plot holes/stretches of credulity than I'd like.

For instance: Kyle's entrance to the TV set. Some weird guy skulks about in the background of the set and no one calls security? Seriously?
I think that's the most believable part of the movie. It's human nature that people see something potentially bad and don't react because everyone else isn't reacting or worried. To be fair to the characters, the odds were much more in favor of someone being lost over someone trying to hijack the broadcast with a bomb and a gun.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's funny how certain plot holes bothers people more while other such holes are totally ignored.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think that's the most believable part of the movie. It's human nature that people see something potentially bad and don't react because everyone else isn't reacting or worried. To be fair to the characters, the odds were much more in favor of someone being lost over someone trying to hijack the broadcast with a bomb and a gun.

In today's climate, terrorism is always on the mind - and even more so in NYC.

I just think it's an incredible stretch that some sweaty, shifty-looking guy pops up with suspicious boxes and no one thinks "hey, this might go bad"...

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member

My take was that Roberts character and everyone else in the control room initially thought Kyle was part of Clooney's show.

Mark

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
As this is currently an Amazon Black Friday week deal for only $8, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it. Professional reviews were tepid. So I searched the forum, and came up with this thread. Thanks guys, you sold me on the movie. It sounds like it's worth the eight bucks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As this is currently an Amazon Black Friday week deal for only $8, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it. Professional reviews were tepid. So I searched the forum, and came up with this thread. Thanks guys, you sold me on the movie. It sounds like it's worth the eight bucks.
I bought this BD from Amazon at that price point too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks