What's new

Mommie Dearest!!! Extended Cut Special Edition!!! Will it ever come??? (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If I am not mistaken, the only version that I've seen available is the fullscreen. I would LOVE extras, but I just can't wait to finally own the movie!

BTW, the book version is AWFUL. Christina's writing is terrible and VERY boring.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Mine, too. And I agree 100% about the book. Christina's prose is so bad I can't even bring myself to read it all the way through.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, whatever the extras are, don't expect participation from Faye Dunaway. She hates the film and credits it for starting the downward spiral in her career. Allegedly, she refuses to answer questions about the film, sign Mommie Dearest posters and if she has anything to say about it, has the film eliminated from her resume.

The irony is that though the film isn't any good, Dunaway's performance transcends the mediocrity of it all. She's near magnificent. No, no, correct that. She IS magnificent.

DavidBC

Second Unit
Well, whatever the extras are, don't expect participation from Faye Dunaway. She hates the film and credits it for starting the downward spiral in her career. Allegedly, she refuses to answer questions about the film, sign Mommie Dearest posters and if she has anything to say about it, has the film eliminated from her resume.
That's a shame. She's phenomenal in this phenomenally bad movie. Dunaway's insights into the movie, her performance and Crawford herself would have been the only extra that interested me.

Jace_A

Second Unit
The extras consist of a commentary from John Waters and a documentary featuring Waters and drag queen Lipsynka. Paramount obviously knows the audience for this film.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if this transfer will include the music that was cut during the scene where she cuts down the rose bushes.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Well, whatever the extras are, don't expect participation from Faye Dunaway. She hates the film and credits it for starting the downward spiral in her career.
She's totally right! She was the best actress of her generation and NOBODY took her seriously after this. And with good reason....she is a DISASTER of scenery chewing and bad acting. It also began to affect her other work. Anybody ever see Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford as Evita Peron? (shudders)

Jace_A

Second Unit
The film is melodramatic trash (as were many of Crawford's films and was probably the angle the film took to her life) but Dunaway was extremely good in this role. Her career stalled after Network and it was a number of poor choices (including Eyes of Laura Mars, The Champ and The Wicked Lady) and lack of decent roles for older women in movies that caused the resultant career slump. If you look at her IMDB file, she's hardly gone without work, though.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, you're just plain wrong about Dunaway's performance, Will.

I think critic Pauline Kael summed it up beautifully:

"The best thing that can be said about this jumbled scrapbook of Joan Crawford's life from her middle years to the end is that it doesn't seem to get in the way of its star, Faye Dunaway, who gives a startling, ferocious performance. It's deeper than an impersonation; she turns herself into Joan Crawford, all right, but she's more Faye Dunaway than ever. Her performance is extravagant - it's operatic and full of primal anger. She invests the role with so much power and suffering that the campy horror scenes - the nocturnal rampages - transcend camp. Alone and self mesmerized, Dunaway plays the entire film on emotion".

I dread the promised John Waters and Lipsynka commentary. I can hear the shrieking, howling and dishing now! Fortunately, of course, I DON'T have to listen to it.

Jace_A

Second Unit
If you've ever heard a Jon Waters commentary at least you'll know you're going to be entertained (Lipsynka is only on the documentary). Pretty much everyone associated with the film has disowned it because of the terrible reception it received on release due to the vulgarity of the whole enterprise. Its primary reason for continuing in the minds of moviegoers is because of its camp value (and predominately gay audience), not because it is an historical testament to the life of Joan Crawford (which it most certainly is not). I think Waters is the perfect choice for a commentary here.

Jace_A

Second Unit
If you want to listen to Faye's opinion on Mommie Dearest (or, more specifically how she doesn't want to talk about it), download this (and I have no idea how this telephone message made it onto the Internet). She don't much like her ex-husband, either. Given her reputation, I'm actually suprised at how tame she sounds.

Faye's diatribe

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yes, people seem to think that Mommie Dearest was universally panned when it was released, but it most certainly was not. I remember Siskel & Ebert's original review, and they liked it, and were very impressed with Dunaway's performance. I remember Siskel calling her protrayal of Joan Crawford "uncanny."

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark

Wow, it is soooooo not my business to be listening to her private calls, but I say, "Get 'em, Faye." She's absolutely right.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Thank you for that phone message, Jace. That is priceless! Someone in one of my classes said he had a friend who worked at a gardening shop here in L.A. The guy said that one time Faye Dunaway came in and they were out of what she was looking for. He said she threw a hissy fit, slapping the counter with her hand with each word: "I... am... Faye... Dunaway!" Don't know if it's true, but it was an entertaining story. :D

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Wow, it is soooooo not my business to be listening to her private calls
It's not a private call... it's something she left on someone's voice mail. She knew she was being recorded. That person has the right to play it for anyone he wants. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks