What's new

Mommie Dearest!!! Extended Cut Special Edition!!! Will it ever come??? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I have read multiple times that the original cut of Mommie Dearest was twice as long as the current version... It ran somewhere between 3 and 1/2 and 4 hours...

I was just wondering does Paramount ever plan on reissuing this movie as a special edition??? Possibly including this footage???

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
No wire hangers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not Paramount I'm angry at, it's the dirt. Seriously, other than adding to the repertoire of a drag queen's act, what else could possibly be included in this film? Faye as Joan in Torch Song, replete with black face and lurid red hair?

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Every film starts with an initial cut that is very long as all the assembled footage is cut together. Then that process known as editing brings them down to more manageable lengths. A three hour cut of a movie is not neccesarily a better version than a well-edited two hour film. Does anyone seriously believe Paramount intended to produce a three-hour biography of Joan Crawford ? My guess is the version we have is fairly representative of what the filmmakers & studio set out to produce, and thus should be left alone.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Paramount tends to do most things the right way, the first time. As consumers though, we can always ask for more, but shouldn't be upset when we get what the film maker desired.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I think Paramount has lots of better ways they can put their limited dvd producing resources to work than an even longer version of this film.

Claude North

Second Unit
From what I've read, many of the cut scenes featured "quieter" moments that fleshed out the characters and their motiviations. According to Faye Dunaway, she and Mara Hobel shot a scene in which Joan attempts to explain herself and to connect with Christina. Ultimately, the scene was left out.

The film is rather choppy in its final form, so I think it would be interesting to see some of those deleted scenes.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Claude North: From what I've read, many of the cut scenes featured "quieter" moments that fleshed out the characters and their motiviations. According to Faye Dunaway, she and Mara Hobel shot a scene in which Joan attempts to explain herself and to connect with Christina. Ultimately, the scene was left out.
Yes, exactly... Thats why I have been interested in seeing this version... It is suppose to add a lot more to the movie character wise and connect everything together... What we have now is a movie where no scene matches the next... But, I guess that in a way adds to it's camp classic charm...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
From what I've read, many of the cut scenes featured "quieter" moments that fleshed out the characters and their motiviations. According to Faye Dunaway, she and Mara Hobel shot a scene in which Joan attempts to explain herself and to connect with Christina. Ultimately, the scene was left out.

The film is rather choppy in its final form, so I think it would be interesting to see some of those deleted scenes.
I quite agree. But do those scenes exist?

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Oh my...this was unexpected. :eek: But why wait until June? It should be released early May for Mother's day! :wink:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
No details have been released about this edition. It may just be a new transfer without any cut footage.

Will K

Screenwriter
Holy Jumpin' Joan on a box full of hangers! I wasn't prepared for this. OMG. I'm not a queen, but I will be for the next hour or so. Whoo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks