What's new

Mogambo and 3 Godfathers at Target this week? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
SAN FERNANDO / L.A. TARGET INVENTORY UPDATE
It's not much of an update, but what there is can be found at the end of this posting.

But first:

[c]* * * * *[/c]

Ah shucks, Robert -- you're going to make me blush here...

In any event, no problem; I'm always happy to be of service whenever possible, whether it be revealing old laserdisc production information, new DVD info, or simply where to find product. My thanks go out to you for creating and supporting such a fantastic website!

Anyway, since I was having problems finding these damned DVDs -- as were so many other people -- I just decided that some quick detective work needed to be done.

I wanted to save the HTF folk here from having to go through the same useless experience I had -- wasting your valuable time, energy and especially gas on a journey that would ultimately prove pointless, frustrating and absolutely unsatisfactory.

I sort of hoped that other folks in some of the major areas would post their findings as well -- oh well.

In any event, I unfortunately had to go back to Target today at my wife's request to pick up a gift (I am SO thankful it's only about 3 or so blocks away), and guess what -- that's right, still no copies of 3 GODFATHERS (nor did they get their MOGAMBO's yet, either). They had four empty spaces reserved for 3 GODFATHERS, and the same for MOGAMBO, and their absense was very noticeable.

I did get a really funny result when I asked the DVD clerk if they received their copies of 3 GODFATHERS yet -- he said, "Oh yeah, we got in a bunch of them," and then proceeded to walk me over to where they were. Puzzled -- due to all the empty DVD spaces reserved for the film -- he leads me over to the "G" section, and pulls me a copy of GODFATHER PART II, then starts going for THE GODFATHER. I said, "No, no, no... I'm looking for 3 GODFATHERS" and he said, "Yeah, these are the three GODFATHER films". The look on his face was priceless when I said, "No, the film is called 3 GODFATHERS" and led him over to the empty stacks. He then said, "Oh, those... we haven't got them yet."
Duh, goombah! This was the exact same DVD I asked him about yesterday! Some much for brain retention of information!

TARGET INVENTORY UPDATE: SAN FERNANDO / L.A. AREA

Since I was in Target again anyway, I had this idiotstick "helpful clerk" run me a new inventory search.

Unfortunately, I'm sorry to inform you all, but the San Fernando Valley / Los Angeles area inventory is essentially exactly the same as yesterday -- the only store with any decent stock of 3 GODFATHERS is still the Pasadena location, which still apparently has 12 copies in stock. (What, nobody bought any since yesterday?).

However, today the Norwalk Target popped up with a whopping 3 copies in stock! Hopefully they actually have these 3 copies and it isn't an inventory error. If anyone goes to the Norwalk location, let me know.

As for MOGAMBO, unfortunately I couldn't persuade Target-Lad from running me another search -- he was oh so eager to instead get back to helping the whopping line of people in line waiting for information or to check out. Yes -- the enormous line of... one person -- whom I wound up helping instead of the the useless "clerk." This guy was looking for FIREFLY as a gift, and had some general questions about the DVD and the show, but the clerk was clueless beyond belief. When the customer said it was a TV show, the clerk just sort of waved his hand in the general direction of the TV section and said "I guess it might be over there somewhere." I simply couldn't stand by and watch this pathetic display of customer service -- so I took over completely. I took him over to where the discs were (I saw where they were hiding when I was in the Target yesterday), and since I'm a FIREFLY fans, I was able to answer all of his questions. I even filled him in a bit on SERENITY, and explained how it was essentially the finale to the show, and he picked it up as well -- decided that since he was getting the series, he might as well get the "last episode" as well (widescreen edition -- good choice). At the end of this, he was now really interested in watching FIREFLY for himself... End result: Target 0, Customer Won 1 -- he was extremely grateful for the help, and I was more than happy to be of assistance.

Anyway. Back to business. MOGAMBO. A quick follow-up call to the Granade Hill Target showed that they still have "a bunch of copies" in stock. As for available stock in other stores in the area, you're on your own -- sorry about that.

Again, most Target's SHOULD be getting their stock of both titles in by the end of the week. Again, that's a "SHOULD BE" and not a "guarantee." I'll be checking in again on Friday for you folks, and as soon as I see these titles widely stocked in our area, I'll be sure to let you know that you can finally pick 'em up.

So until then, happy hunting!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I found copies of Mogambo in the North Hollywood Target, Van Nuys Target and Pacoima target. None had the Three Godfathers DVD however. Pasadena is too far to go for one DVD so I'm hoping -eventually- that the local Target will get Three Godfathers stock in.

Your Godfather story was priceless! Reminds me of the time I went to Tower video the Tuesday John Huston's 1952 Moulin Rouge was released and couldn't find it. I went to the clerk and said "I'm looking for the John Huston film of Moulin Rouge which was supposed to come out today and can't find it anywhere" when he snootily rolled his eyes and led me to Baz Luhrman's Moulin Rouge. I don't expect these clerks to have attended film school but you'd never hire someone who didn't know anything about cars to work in an auto body shop, would you?

dave bula

Stunt Coordinator

Of course. Absolutely. Wouldn't want it any other way. The right to express differing opinions was never in question. I certainly wasn't suggesting otherwise.

I was just rather amazed to see that someone else had evidently had such a drastically different experience with Target than I have had. This 3 Godfathers/Mogambo thing is just the latest in a long line of problems with Traget.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
I found both titles on Tuesday in my local Target in Cary, North Carolina. They had it in 2 different places at the store - at first I didn't see them, but then I saw both titles. They had about 5 left of Mogambo and about 9 of The Three Godfathers.

ted:r

Second Unit
I usually only go to Target or Wal-Mart to buy, er, underwear. Never gave their DVD department a second thought. So I suppose their exclusive worked as it got me into the store (Menlo Park, NJ). When I got there I found "3 Godfathers" easily enough in an endcap but no "Mogambo" I searched their other browsers (they don't seem to believe in the alphabet at Target) in vain. Finally I asked a salesclerk and he looked at me as if I were speaking a foreign language (which I suppose I was) until I mentioned the circular. At that point he said all new releases were in the endcap.

Well, next time I need underwear, I'll try again (though since it won't be a new release, heaven knows where they will put it). Else, I'll just wait for "Mogambo" to be released more generally.

One other thing to note: Target had a big display of movies all with the "Full Screen Version" banner proudly (?) attached to them. Yeeeccch....

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

But I think that is one of the problems with Target, and other retail stores. Tomorrow, that same clerk could be working in the auto parts department. These aren't DVD experts you are talking to, just people working a minimum wage job in a large retail store.

Everyone here knows more about DVD than someone who works in a Target or Wal Mart. That is something you should expect when going in any retail store. It isn't really fair to beat up on them as much.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I got both Mogombo and 3 Godfathers this week. I gave Mogombo to my parents so I have'nt watched that yet, but 3 Godfathers was a nice transfer for a 1948 film, the color is excellent. Actully this was the first film I watched on my New Sammy LCD.
It was a fantastic film too and a very good Holiday themed movie, along with a very good John Wayne performance.

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator

I know this quote wasn't directed towards me and my story about the "helpful clerk" grabbing me the standard GODFATHER movies, and then turning into a totally lazy lout, but I just wanted to add something in here.

In the specific case with this one specific Target location, this is one of three clerks (that I know of) who are permanently assigned to the DVD & Videogames area. He's been there for a fairly long time, and doesn't work any other areas. Frankly, he really should be aware of the stock in his area. Especially on Tuesday release date, if he wasn't the one who stocked the "New Release" section, he should spend a few moment to see what the new titles are.

However, with regard to the other Target locations I recently visited, all the clerks I spoke with were very familiar with their stock, both old and new, and a couple specific clerks I spoke with were also extremely familiar with upcoming titles.

And frankly, anyone who works in the same Target location for several months -- or any other job -- should eventually get to know something about the stock surrounding you. You've got to be really lazy, incredibly braindead and unaware of your surroundings, or simply don't care whatsoever about anything to not have some of your work area rub off on your braincells.

Just my thoughts...

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
That's it... I've just about had it with EVERY employee working in the DVD department at the Northridge Target (the Balboa/Nordhoff location)

In honor of their ceaseless devotion towards helping out customers by providing them with the most inaccurate of information with my new "DVD-Ignorant Peddler Should Have Immediate Training" award. I'm tempted to make out a few small buttons to hand out to these twits.

I called to see if they got you-know-what in stock yet (3 GODFATHERS) -- and I was met with the highest degree of idiocy again. After going through the GODFATHER movie routine yet again, I slowly explained that the movie itself was called 3 GODFATHERS and that if they had it, it would be in the first row of their new release section, where they have two space for the movie with little signs on them saying 3 GODFATHERS. "Uh, okay, I think I know what you're talking about."

A few minutes later he comes back on and says they have a bunch of copies in of the movie I want. For some reason I don't believe him -- so I ask again, you have copies of 3 GODFATHERS... starring John Wayne?

Here's the answer I got:

"Who? No dude, it's got Marky Mark in it -- FOUR BROTHERS, that's what you're looking for, right?"

ME: "No -- it's a different film called 3 GODFATHERS."

"Yeah, we got a bunch in stock."

ME: "Wait, do you have 3 GODFATHERS in or not?"

"Yeah... but it's called FOUR BROTHERS, okay, not FOUR GODFATHERS..."

Just to torture myself I call up the Granada Hills store --then again, the employees there were very nice and fairly knowledgeable of their stock. But torture it was indeed...

They indeed received copies of both 3 GODFATHERS and MOGAMBO... yesterday. Very strange indeed, especially since I called yesterday late afternoon and they had yet to received their stock. Turned out they got their DVD stock and apparently put them out at around 7:30pm. They got a whopping two copies in of each title, and all were gone within the hour.

Okay... I think I'm close to officially giving up. I really want a copy of 3 GODFATHERS, but I'm beginning to ge to the point where I almost no longer care about finding a copy. This is just becoming too much work to find a copy.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Am I supposed to laugh:

Or cry? :D

Jeff: We've probably all been through this kind of frustrating consumer experience before (I remember one guy who tried for years to get on Best Buy's list for "Good customer coupons"! :rolleyes:) It sucks. It's sad, really.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Sorry it took me so long to jump in on this thread, but it's been VERY hectic at work this week.

My store still has copies of both titles, as do most stores in the Milwaukee area. Not sure why the LA stores especially had so many problems.

I know this is too late for those of you wanting these titles for Christmas, but hopefully it will help alert Target to the apparent widespread problem with these titles. I urge any of you who shared your "horror stories" about your search for these movies to contact Target Guest Relations at 1-800-440-0680. Explain your experience...the info you leave gets researched and it goes through alot of channels and hits everyone from Minneapolis to the store's management team and everyone in between.

Here is our stock info for each title:
Mogambo: 058-12-1300
3 Godfathers: 058-18-0111

I would also suggest contacting Warners Customer Service, as it does no good for THEM to have an exclusive title available that no one can purchase!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My Target had three copies each of Mogambo and Four Brothers...er Four Godfathers...um, 3 Godfathers! :D

Snagged two copies of 3 Godfathers...one for me and one a friend who's into old Westerns!

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
I got my copies of these at the Columbia, Maryland Target. As of yesterday, they had 2 copies of Mogambo and 6 or so copies of 3 Godfathers displayed in their new release section.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I thought the dvd presentation was excellent. Cinematographer Winton Hoch and John Ford would be proud that their work was so beautifully captured on this video format. Man, those guys sure knew how to film a movie while utilizing the outdoor elements to their fullest potential.

As I stated earlier, this film is one of those movies that will remain a favorite of mine forever. Furthermore, I think this film had one of Wayne's best and most underrated acting performances.

Hopefully, when Warner releases the Ford/Wayne boxset they will include some bonus material about the film and how this was the fourth or fifth version of the same storyline.

Crawdaddy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Quite typical, but not sad. I picked up a copy of "Mogambo" on Saturday at my nearest Target. The 1st clerk didn't know where they were, but the person she directed me to did.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What I think IS sad is when someone like Jeff Krispow (or anyone) tries to purchase a product advertised as an exclusive by such a large retailer and has a hard time tracking one down (especially in such a large metropolitan area). THAT'S what's sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks