What's new

Modulator suggestions (1 Viewer)

Brandon:W

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking for some help with selecting a modulator. I started this thread but I think it may be better placed in this forum.

Sorry for the double post - I don't think I can move it on my own.

Brandon

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You aren't going to get stereo an a sub $100 modulator. ChannelPlus is a very good brand but their IR targets start at $50 each. Some of the Dayton models (sold at Parts Express) may do stereo. I'm using a pair of Sony MRD-D1's (made by ChannelPlus) to distribute two satellite receivers, a DVD player and a VCR.

-Robert

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

How do you find the video quality of a composit video source? I'm wondering if a S-video source would give better quality. Although when it's converted to coax it may be degraded anyway.

I suppose stereo isn't a deal breaker - for now I won't be using stereo anyway.

So really I want good video (if possible), and a way to control the devices.

And I was just thinking of using a remote extender, for now, to help control the devices from another room.

Brandon

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bluedo has a way to replace a battery in your remote with an IR to RF converter. You can always try those remote extender pyramid type things. My mother-in-law has one and it's OK. My friend had the same and loved it. There are also tons of hard wired ways including the one included with the ChannelPlus 3025. It uses an IR target at each TV and emitters that plug into the modulator.

-Robert

Stunt Coordinator
I like the 4 channel ChannelPlus 5545 modulator. That alone is over $250. And to use the IR capabilities, it's pretty expensive (like you mentioned). With 4 devices: 4 emitters, 1 target, 1 interface = $130. Seems pretty pricey.

I should try those pyramid extenders and see if that will work for me - I am only controlling the devices from one room over, for now. That's only about $30-40.

Brandon

Stunt Coordinator
So nobody else has any comments on modulators? Does anyone else out there use one?

There's just not a lot of discussion about these on this forum and I just want to be better informed.

Thanks - Brandon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks