modest upgrade for paradigm system

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Doug Fogle, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Doug Fogle

Doug Fogle Stunt Coordinator

currently running mon.9 for front,adp-350 for sides and mon.3 for rears.Would like to go direct for sides and have two options: buy 9's or 7's for sides, or move 9's to sides and replace with mon.11 or 90p upfront.My listening is about 60-40 music-movies,and the music listening is about 80-20 stereo-mult-chan.So,I guess I could simplify the question:will either the 11 or 90p give better stereo sound than the 9?I'm happy with the sub I have now so the powered sub of the 90p isn't important unless it improves the overall sound of the speaker over the 9.Sorry for the length and thanks for any kind response

2. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

I'm a big fan of the 11's. Many people say they don't have as much bass as the 9's but I believe them to have much tighter bass than the 9's.

I auditioned them last year and took 'em home. I ultimately ended up with Paradigm Reference 60's because I got greedy [​IMG] . The Monitor 11's are an outstanding value though.

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I'm not sure how much of a difference this upgrade will make. I have Monitor 7's and if I ever upgrade I will probably look at the Studio series.

4. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

agreed. you could probably get studio 60's for not much more than the monitor 11's, and if music is your maine listening, this choice would be a much better option.

5. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I have 11's along with a CC-370, and I just traded in my 5's for a credit, and bought some PSB Stratus Mini's. Now the Mini's are in the Front, the 11's are in the back on 10" stands, and the CC-370 is still in the centre (Argh!)

The PSB's have been the biggest difference in my system for awhile. I'm gonna trade in, or sell the CC-370 next, to buy a PSB Stratus C6i, then Eventually trade in the 11's for some Silver i's or Gold i's that will go in the front and the Mini's will go in the back.

If you're gonna do any upgrading, I would go out of the Paradigm Monitor line. They are great midfi speakers IMO, but if you're looking to upgrade the sound of your music/hometheater experience, I'd try to phase out the ones you have, and go with some better speakers. The Paradigm Studio's are excellent speakers, you may want to give them a listen.

6. Doug Fogle

Great replies.I have two questions:Since I can't replace all speakers at once (wf)how would studios mesh with the monitor 9's sonically? And if using sub,could I go with 40's=I actually read posts saying they were the best in the studio line.True? Or.if using the 9's for now as sides,should I go for towers in the studio line also?

7. Paul Bryan

Paul Bryan Agent

8. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Paul. I auditioned the 60's and 40's and it pretty much ends up being a wash pricewise if you factor in the cost of good stands. I have young children so right off the bat I'm turned of to the idea of bookshelf speakers on stands. I also perceived the 60's to be a bit more "fuller sounding" than the 40's.

It's pretty tough to beat the Paradigm Studio line at its pricepoint although for a bit more I would consider the PSB Stratus line and the Polk LSi series.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Don't stay within the monitor series if you upgrade, because it's really just more of the same, or perhaps a tad better, but hardly worth the money. DEFENITELY go to the studio series, and/or any other solid brand. I have mini-monitors, and will upgrade, but i'd never stay with the monitor series in an upgrade, because it wouldn't net me an improvement in sound, except for more bass, which is MORE thatn covered with and SVS, so it'd really be money for nothing. I don't know what I will end up getting, the studio 20s are a bargain, but the B&W CDM NT 1s are also great, different (very anemic bass), but better detail, and I had Dynaudio Audience 52s recommended to me but i've not gone to hear them yet. I also very much enjoyed a pair of small floorstanders from Rega at about a grand, but they're at a different dealer, so no trade-in possible there.

10. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

Got to agree with most above. An upgrade would be moving up and out of the monitor series. I have Monitor 7s and like them considering my budget but if I upgrade it would be to studio series.

11. Doug Fogle

Okay,went to hear the studio 60's.The only localParidigm dealer had the whole reference line along one wall, all running thru a denon 2802.The source was a cheaper Onyko cd changer,the speakers were flat up against the wall and probably 20 feet apart.Kinda hard to get an impression of them in that kind of setup,and the clerk seemed to have other things on his mind,so I didn't get any option.But,what kind of setup is that for that kind of speaker?It almost seemed like he didn't want to sell any.The saddest part is this is about as close to high end as it gets in northern il.

12. Doug Fogle

Okay,sorry about the rant.John,what is it you like about the polks?