What's new

Modern shows with no Blu-ray release - do you skip? (1 Viewer)

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
While many recent shows are getting Blu-ray releases simultaneous with their DVD release, this isn't always the case, even if the show is produced in HD. So far I know I've definitely skipped buying Legend of the Seeker and Leverage on disc because they won't sell me it in HD; there's a couple of other shows I was waffling on but was able to rule out rather expeditiously because of the lack of HD (Castle, FlashForward).

I'm curious as to whether I'm alone in this preference. :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
If it's a title that I know airs in HD, was shot in HD, I really don't want the DVD. In the case of "Legend" it's even more laughable in that HD versions of it have been available to legitimately purchase elsewhere (Sony PSN for the PS3 had it I believe) so it's just a crock. I won't buy HD filmed shows in non-HD. It's just a no-sale.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Oh definitely. It is difficult (for me) to justify the purchase of a program in Standard Definition that I viewed via broadcast in High Definition. I did cave and purchase Season 1 of Legend of the Seeker, but the purchases are few and far between in those cases.

Some of the shows I've passed up (at least so far) are: Better Off Ted, Castle, and Reaper. All of these would have been automatic purchases on Blu-Ray.

- Walter.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't buy bluray.

I consider bluray a kind of flash in the pan, the rest of the seasons I have of shows are in regular DVD format, and I can't see paying more money for bluray when a standard DVD will look perfectly fine to me for less money.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Definitely skip. I'd have been glad to have bought Community on Blu-Ray, but I won't buy the DVDs. I can just stick with my HD recordings.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Thanks for your answers, everybody. I feel better knowing I'm not being crazy. ;)

LCD22

Screenwriter
Probably will soon enough.

I've skipped Burn Notice and Flashpoint as there's nothing planned for their previously released (or announced) DVD season set on BD. I may make an exception for the "Sam Axe" prequel, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks