Modern Family - season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Meet the new Lily on Modern Family: [​IMG] Normally I hate recasting mid-series on TV shows, but this time I think it was the right decision. The two twins that played Lily during the first two seasons usually looked absolutely miserable when on-screen.

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

3. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I think it makes sense, actually.. it's hard to stick with a character as baby/toddler to slightly more grown up. I also think it's better for that kid's future sanity that they do it.

4. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

Never watched the Olsen twins from their show, just a few clips here and there. They looked like complete idiots. Must be good investing and planning from their managers and parents that they turned out how then did because neither has any talent. Glad they're aging Lily a little more naturally rather than a Desperate Housewives fast forward.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Season 3 Cast Photo: [​IMG] Season 3 Cast Portraits: [​IMG]

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Modern Family returns for season 3 tonight in an hour-long episode (or 2 back-to-back episodes).

7. Adam Lenhardt

The first half hour was fine, but the second half hour was a series classic IMO. Probably better than any episode in the entire second season but "Caught in the Act". I do think they missed an opportunity by not reshooting the title sequence for each season. It would be neat seeing these three families grow up like that.

8. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Going to enjoy Lily now more involved in the stories. Found both episodes really funny tonight.

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Both were good. I liked 1 better than 2 (just thought it was funnier)...but I love the way the writers can weave the three parallel storylines together like they did tonight in episode 2.

10. Adam Lenhardt

Agreed 100 percent. The new Lily embodies what we were told about the old Lily. I like that she's not a perfect little bundle of adorableness. Every character, even the toddler, has his or her defining flaws.
    I think I gave episode 2 more credit because it was dealing with very mundane subject matter that I found insanely relatable. My mother was so much like Claire when I was growing up, some lines are honest to God verbatim quotes from my childhood. By contrast, it's easy to make an awe inspiring location like Jackson Hole, Wyoming into a special episode. (I do like that they pick up the whole production and actually go to where they say they are for the vacation episodes. There's a huge difference between Wyoming and rural-California-sitting-in-for-Wyoming.)

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Tazed Phil was philarious.

12. Adam Lenhardt

As was Gloria's policy for when she hits something while driving: "Never luuuke back!" I've really enjoyed the way they've played up the divide between the Pritchett personality and the Dunphy personality. Haley and Luke are definitely type-B Dunphy personalities, while Alex is definitely a type-A Pritchett personality. Accordingly, Alex and Uncle Mitchell get along famously.

13. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough

In that moment, I particularly loved how the condition of the baseball card kept deteriorating as Phil squeezed it and reported on its condition. Had me rolling.

14. spshultz

spshultz Second Unit

John Ratzen
    Manny's drive-by had me laughing pretty good!

Oh, and Gloria with a gun? Yowza!

15. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yep, the "bad boys" were very funny. As usual for me, Ty Burrell stole the show with his (funny) devastated demeanor finding out about his oldest daughter.

16. Adam Lenhardt

The drive-by was funny. The drive-by in reverse was hilarious.
    I've always really liked the Phil-Haley relationship. There's a really sweetness and mutual appreciation there; loved the dueling interview cut-aways, with Phil thinking he'd blown it and Haley thinking he was really cool. Loved the credit tag, though, when Phil finds out Claire's known for months and -- instead of being annoyed that she kept such a huge secret from him -- he's just really grateful for those extra months of obliviousness.

17. filthybass

filthybass Auditioning

I absolutely love Modern Family. Who doesn't? I didn't even have any interest in starting this show initially and probably never would have if it weren't for my Communication class that put me into this group. I was pretty sour at first because I wanted Desperate Housewives!! But I have grown to love this show. I don't know who I like more.. Phil or Cam. :) Phil reminds me of a less obnoxious Steve Carrell from the Office...

18. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein
    I like how Claire picked three months as a believable amount of time.