What's new

MOD Programs: The Official HTF "Pros & Cons" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I noticed the Warner MOD thread is getting less and less about the movies, and more about the "problems" of MOD again, so, I'm bumping this thread for those who want to continue the neverending discussion on why you think MOD sucks.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I've also noticed that the Warner MODs are becoming more expensive, in that they've really clamped down on the discounts.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
I'll quote from the WAC thread then: "I really wish we could make this forum about the films, film history, and film trivia, and move all the complaints to another forum. Sorry, I just get tired of the complaints, negative attitudes, and dissatisfaction generated by products that the WAC spends so much time and effort to restore and preserve. Yes, in a perfect economic scenario, WB would release all of these films as pressed DVD. However, as mentioned in previous posts, many of these titles would not sell enough copies to provide sufficient profits to... oh, enable WB to continue their preservation and release operations. While the WAC is a wonderful service for film films, we need to remember that it's also a business. WB does not have to release or restore these films- such projects do not sustain the company- so I really hope that, in spite of prices, formats or slight imperfections, we'll feel grateful for the availability of these rare films, buy if we feel the desire, and take the "other" comments to another arena. " Sorry, WAC "spends so much time and effort"? Come again? The evidence is that Warner Archive invests the minimum time and effort on it's Archive releases. As evidence the total lack of extras and the obviously minimal effort in restoration. You're last line gives away the game: film fans get so misty-eyed in their gratitude at getting these films that they don't perceive the reality: it's a minimal investment, maximal charging vehicle. And the model of bunging bare-bones releases with minimal restoration onto MOD's and then charging $20+ a pop has proven so successful that not only are more studios catching on to the idea, but the programs themselves are becoming the exclusive way of releasing everything except the latest blockbusters. Even to the point of putting previously out-of-print titles onto MOD's - it wouldn't surprise me to see titles pulled OOP early specifically to make them exclusive to MOD. The execs have simply analysed the situation and see absolutely no reason to release stuff any other way - not when they have a consumer base ready and willing to pay $20 per movie rather than the $5-10 they were paying for a superior product a couple of years ago. I might be grateful for releases, but I'm also realistic enough to acknowledge I'm being taken advantage of. The MOD programs tap directly into the "must-have-at-any-price" consumer base.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I agree with Nick's comments. I'm not going to spend $20 on movies I've never seen before. It would be great if netflix carried MOD's so I could rent them first. The only MOD's I plan on buying would be the Andy Hardy series and I hope and pray they are released as pressed discs.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Bob_S. said:
I agree with Nick's comments. I'm not going to spend $20 on movies I've never seen before. It would be great if netflix carried MOD's so I could rent them first. The only MOD's I plan on buying would be the Andy Hardy series and I hope and pray they are released as pressed discs.
Actually, a number of Archive titles are starting to show up as iTunes rentals, some of them in HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks