What's new

MLB on XM question (1 Viewer)

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
I am not quite ready yet to jump in to the satellite radio game, but one thing that did push me one step closer was the addition of MLB on XM.

My one question that I haven't been able to get answered anywhere is this: If I listen to the Atlanta Braves on XM, am I listening to the same broadcast I would here in Atlanta on WGST AM (or WKLS FM)?

Here in Charlotte, I used to be able to pick up WSB AM from time to time, but when they moved to WGST, it became hopeless. And sadly, despite the generally excellent coverage of the Braves Radio Network, there are no member stations in my area with sufficient effective radiative power for me to pick them up reliably.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Robert --

If you're a baseball fan, you need XM. Just three weeks ago I listened to them daily, live from the Winter Meetings. The shows are pretty diverse -- the morning show is funny and informative, the baseball beat show is Charlie Steiner talking with beat writers from the major baseball cities, "The Show" is Rob Dibble and Kevin Kennedy (I think they kiss too much ass), then the late afternoon and evening are either up to the minute game recaps or call shows (The morning show, and "The Show" both take calls too.)

In regards to your question. The feed for all games are the home teams feed. So, for example, when Atlanta is playing Houston in Atlanta -- Atlanta feed. When Atlanta is playing Houston in Houston -- Houston feed. Exceptions to that are ESPN showcase games, that are done by ESPN broadcasters, and the playoffs. The playoffs are great because you get hometown AND away feeds AND national. 3 feeds per game for the playoffs and the series.

You won't find a more complete selection of talk and games than XM (besides having the MLB exclusive). They even have the majority (not all) of the Spring Training games.

Great, great stuff.

Doug

Frank_M

Stunt Coordinator
That is awesome. I've been toying with going to sat radio... and baseball would be THE reason I'd make the jump.

Guess I need to read the forums to pick the best receiver for me. I need something portable and that I can plug into the car.

Just a few weeks until pitchers and catchers!

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Frank. I bought the SkyFi II for my wife (I already have XM in my Yukon via a factory radio) and she loves it. It is very easy to install, but looks very "gadgety". A caddy snaps onto an air vent and the radio sets in the caddy. A wire runs from the caddy to a cig. lighter for power. You can either use a cassette adapter or FM modulator to link the SyFiII with your car radio. Most people say the cassette adapter sounds better, but I had to use the FM modulator and it sounds fine. The cassette adapter in my wife's radio kept ejecting so it was useless. The antenna is the hardest to install. It attaches to your roof via a strong magnet and you thread the cable under the windshield's rubber seal, into the car and to the radio. You can then hide the radio wire under the carpet. Like I said, all of the wire makes it look gadgety, but it works great and my wife loves XM. Good luck.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
This is my only complaint with XM's MLB broadcasts. I enjoy listening to my team's broadcasters and don't really want to be bothered with the other team's broadcasters.

I really wish they would just carry all of the broadcasts but I doubt they will ever change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks