What's new

MLB Hot Stove League 2006-2007 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Red Sox exercise their option on Wakefield. And Timlin signed his one year contract. No surprises there.

And the White Sox exercised their options on Buerhle, Dye, and Iguchi. No surprises there either.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I also forgot to add that Mike Hampton will be returning to the Braves' rotation next year, which would make it even more difficult to imagine room for Maddux or Glavine.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
With other teams wanting starting pitching it's possible that Atlanta could sign the 2 and trade whatever they can but it's highly unlikely.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Who are you talking about signing and trading?
Maddux always puts No Trade clauses in his contracts so that one is out.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Sign Maddux and Glavine and trade 2 of the others they currently have. Maddux is now a free agent so he can sign there if he wants but I still am not sure of that because he has stated his preference of playing near his home(vegas). I'd say odds are on favorite that he resigns with LA for a 1yr contract.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Astros do not pick up their option on Jeff Bagwell. In fact, they exercise a $7-million buyout of his one-year option.

Clemens and Pettitte say they both will file for free agency.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

I can't see the Braves trading any young pitching just to get someone like Maddux or Glavine who are getting up there in age. Now, I could see the Braves getting one or the other if they were willing to accept a bargain-level deal, but that's not likely. As it stands, the Braves have a six-man rotation, so I guess maybe they could deal someone like Ramirez and send someone else like Davies to the bullpen. I just don't think it's going to happen, even if it would be nice to see Glavine pick up number 300 in a Braves uniform.

RobLe

Stunt Coordinator
Joe Torre did what has been rumored for awhile and officially announced Mattingly as his bench coach. And Guillermo Mota is suspended for 50 games for violating the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Glavine is apparently close to a 2 yr deal with the Mets for $25 million. No way the Braves would pay close to that.

Also the bidding for the Japanese pitcher should come up soon. The big teams(Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees) and a few other teams are interested. I'd rather pay for Zito than this unknown.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'll take the guy from Japan, thanks. He's younger than Zito, and even the most conservative estimates (the ones that say NPB is equivalent to AAA) say he projects to an ERA below 3.50. And he's got no injury history. The only question is the money - the "posting fee" could be around $30M and then he's got Scott Boras as an agent on top of that. Still, I can see the posting fee not bothering New York or Boston because it doesn't count against payroll when determining the luxury tax.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
But it'll also cost you an additional $10M a season+ the $30 you must give away to the Japanese team. He'll cost you $70Million + when it's all said and done. That's a steep price to pay for an unknown. He hasn't pitched against the kind of lineups he'll face on a weekly basis here. Japanese pitchers aren't exactly a success story here. Nomo, Irabu and a few others come to mind. Saito who closed for the Dodgers was quite good but I'd like to see him come back for another year and see how he does.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nomo had some good years over here with over 120 wins so I wouldn't lumped him in with Irabu as not being successful.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I would. Not as bad as Irabu...but not successful. 123-109 W-L lifetime. Maybe two...three "okay" years out of 11.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Irabu was a disaster while Nomo had some success with only four terrible years out of his 11 seasons which IMO, causes the two to not be comparable as far as success in the major leagues.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
pam interested in seeing where Matsuka does wind up. He has very nassty stuff. I would think that the Yankees are going to do what they can to get him. Boston will not be interested. They do not deal well with Boras and they are looking at cutting back a bit on payroll. Yes the posting money will not go against the teams payroll but I don't see them looking for a big FA pitcher. Look for them to go after a second teir FA pitcher like Lilly, Meche, Padilla etc. They have a rotation next year of Schilling, Papelbon, Beckett, Wakefield so far. Not too bad. They will get a decent #4 or #5 starter and then focus mostly on their pathetic BP. The one good thing that comes out of signing a Matsuka is getting a lot of the money and exposure from the Japanese market.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
He's not exactly unknown, though - he's been seen in the WBC, and the teams that will be bidding on him have likely been scouting him all year.

The fact that Matsuzaka is perceived as a risk will likely keep his price down to that $70M, which is a good thing - with all the teams that need pitching and the meager amount available, the likes of Ted Lilly could get $70M this winter. Meanwhile, Zito's K/9 has been going down while his BB/9 has been going up.

Now, I'd like Boston to be in on both guys, but Matsuzaka is the guy I really covet,

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Oh yeah, as for Zito.......you can all have him. He is the most over-rated pitcher in MLB right now. The guy chokes in the playoffs and has an AWFUL record against the AL East (I am a HUGE Sox fan). Personally I HOPE the Yanks sign him. If he was smart he would stay out of NY and go to a national league team like the Cardinals.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I seriously doubt the Yankees have any interest in Zito. He's going to cost a boatload of money for some team. I suspect LA Dodgers or maybe Texas due to him being a Boras client.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I suspect LA will go after Zito and Maddux if not Schmidt. Zito because the Dodgers don't have any decent left handed pitching. Maddux because he's close to his home and Schmidt due to the ties he has with Colletti.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks