What's new

ML Baseball 2005 discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

That's just Pedro. I don't know what he's talking about in that article. His name was not dragged through the mud by anyone in Sox management. I heard nothing but great respect for Pedro, certainly none of the venom and bile that management hurled at Nomar. But Pedro always needs his demons to fight, just like Ponce de Leon and his windmills. The bigger the perceived slight to Pedro, the harder he fights, which is a good thing for the Mets. I'd rather have a pissed off Pedro than a happy one any day.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Just to be mildly anal Jeff, I'm sure that you mean Don Quixote. Ponce de Leon was the guy who trashed around Florida looking for the fountain of youth (had he only known, he could have found it on South Beach, where the pensioners of the past have turned into the bathing beauties of today).

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Doh!!! I knew that. I was listening to a song by Warren Zevon called "Looking for the Next Best Thing" and it has a line that said "Don Quixote had his windmills, Ponce de Leon took his cruise". Mixed em up, thanks for the correction.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Which was from an out-of-context quote that quickly morphed into something else like in a game of telephone. In its original context, Pedro's saying he doesn't expect anything from the Red Sox organization, but people are treating it like he said he doesn't want the ring. But, it's what we've come to expect from the baseball reporters these days.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
If it's in the nypost it has to be true. :D These are the same jokers that pulled the "I was in a hurricane after I voted against Pedro for MVP/CY and that's why I voted against him." Doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but that was the summary of the followup column.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I know it was Wednesday, and today is now Friday, but you... OK, I, gotta love ARod bobbling the ball that could have saved a run or ended the game. I'll spare the masses another "Why I Hate Arod" thread and just chime in from time to time.

I got a kick out of Rosenthal's article on the 7th, it's a funny read:
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3513942

Doug

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Well, the Cubs closer situation (i.e., they have none) has already bit them in the heinie. LaToya Hawkins blew a save in the home opener today. Starting up right where he left off last year.

The Cubs could have pursued Dan Kolb, but decided to take their chances on a rehabbed Borowski (who is hurt again) and a converted set-up man in Hawkins. Shame on you, GM Jim Hendry.

On the bright side, Kerry Wood looked okay -- at least his arm didn't fall off.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

Credit: Every Red Sox MB and TV newscast. David Ortiz for letting his ring be shown. The entire 2004 World Champion Boston Red Sox :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It sounded like Skip Caray enjoyed telling the audience that the Braves are finally all alone in first place in the NL East after last night's win against the Mets. :)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

How's Chip doing down there? Not that I really care, because I could never stand him in Chicago. That guy rubbed me wrong from day one, and it was by far the best transaction the Cubs made all winter.:D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It took me a while to figure out it was Chip Caray by his voice when he was doing the game with Don Sutton a couple of nights ago on TBS, but I don't find him all that distinctive to care either way.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I thought the former Cubs guy was working for ESPN(unless I'm confused).

After 4 games it appears the Mets are still the Mets. 0-4 for the first time since the mid 60's.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, the Mets are sending Pedro back on the mound tonight against the Braves, though...

I think the Braves broadcast team has a rotating crew of announcers (more than 4, probably 6), so it could be possible that Chip might do some work for ESPN, but I thought that Chip Caray was brought in because Pete Van Wieren didn't want to go a full schedule of the games this year, and would allow Chip to be gradually mixed into the crew (between working the radio and TV games, as the 2-man teams switch around the 4th or 5th innings).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hey hey hey, the Braves managed to keep the Mets winless and 0-for-April so far...Pedro vs. Smoltz on Sunday's game. Should be a doozy if both pitchers are on.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
9 innings 2 hits 1 BB 1ER 9Ks 101 Pitches. Winner: Pedro Martinez. Very impressive performance after a solid start in his first game. The last sixteen were retired in order as he outdueled Smoltz on the road.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
With 3 innings to go and 14 K's, I was hoping Smoltz would get near 20 or 21 K's for the game, but Beltran took him deep in the 8th inning to put a damper in Smoltz's day.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
John Smoltz pitched a hell of a game today.

Until the 8th inning. The Mets get get their first win. Now if we could just get Smoltz to win a game...he pitched a lot better today than he did against Florida, a lot better.

Great pitching matchup on Sunday glad I got to watch it.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
ESPN wins the award for this season's shitiest baseball coverage of the year today. They failed to show but seconds of the opening ceremonies in favor of clips from the Brewers v Pirates, Mets v ???, and misc other crap. When they did show a clip they had tub-o-lard Kruk and fellow lifetime loser Harold Reynolds bitching over the footage.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wonder how the coverage will go tonight when Boston gets their rings, and the Yankees get to watch them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks