What's new

Miyazaki TCM Tribute in January (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Quite surprised to see this. Every Thursday, a movie that Hayao Miyazaki was involved with will be shown.

-Spirited Away
-Princess Mononoke
-Nausicaa of the Valley
-Castle in the Sky
-My Neighbor Totoro
-Porco Rosso
-Whisper of the Heart
-Only Yesterday
-Pom Poko

More info at TCM's site: http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/t...le/?cid=114160

~T

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm glad they are showing "Only Yesterday", because that's the only Ghibli film I have not seen yet. (I missed it when the Sackler was doing a Ghibli festival.)

Jason

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I was hoping to catch up with Kiki's Delivery Service finally, but there are a lot of titles here I've been looking forward to seeing.

Well done, TCM! :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
How great is TCM. They seem to be improving even. Their viewing themes and overall respect for classic/artistic filmmaking is incredible.

I'd pay just for that channel.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Shame I cancelled my cable service just the other day - this might've kept me going one more month.

Good thing I own most of those titles on DVD, including my favorite film of all time (Kaze no tani no Nuasicaa).

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Watching the subbed Spirited Away, and it looks like the overly red shifted version that was on the Japanese DVD. The dubbed print looked much better.

Jason

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
Nice!

I'm gonna set my DVR to catch the ones I haven't seen yet.

My favorite Miyazaki film, by far, is Princess Mononoke. :)

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
My wife and and I are admirers of Miyazaki's movies. We have the DVD versions of Spirited Away (one of the very best movies ever made IMO), Princess Mononoke (very powerful), Kiki's Delivery Service (cute), Porco Rosso (not sure whether we like it or not after just one viewing), Castle in the Sky (good but not great) and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (some indelible images but an inconsistent film). We also saw the dubbed Howl's Moving Castle and are eagerly awaiting the DVD because it was nearly as good as Spirited Away.

The one that I've really wanted to see but isn't available on DVD is My Neighbor Totoro. It will be great to catch it on TCM. The other three (Pom Poko, Whisper of the Heart, Only Yesterday) I'm not familiar with. Are they older than the ones we've seen or just not as popular in this country?

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I had a headache but the hangover wasn't too bad. Thanks Dome. :D

Pom Poko, Whisper, and Only Yesterday are not directed by Miyazaki but by other directors at Studio Ghibli. Going from memory that could be faulty, but I think Whisper and Only Yesterday were directed by Isao Takahata who you may be familiar with as the director of Grave of the Fireflies. The non-Miyazaki Ghibli films have never gotten the notoriety or "push" that the Miyazaki films have.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
O/T:

We think it's good, but over at the TCM forums on their website you can see the network's viewers freaking out over this. They say that the 80s, 90s and now 00s movies that they play are ruining the integrity of the network. They say that it's going to become another AMC, merely because they show a few flicks per month from the past two-and-a-half decades.

I think they're freaking out too much...It's only a few 80s, 90s and 00s movies per month. The balance of it is old movies.

Do you think that the people over at the TCM forums might be doing a Chicken Little thing?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Although I'm not that big on anime, I do want to see a Miyazaki movie to see what an anime is like.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Great movies are great movies no matter when they are made, and just because it is old, does not make it a great movie.

Jason

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Agreed. Or as they have Bogdanovich saying on TCM ... there are no such things as old movies, just movies you haven't seen before.

Let's face it, TCM shows a bunch of films that are a loooong way from great ... old films that are nothing but mediocre fare ... if that. But (and a big but) they will show them where no one else will. For the cineaste interested in a certain director, actor etc. this is a big plus.

Overall, it's about balance. I certainly can see how how people would be scared that TCM could forget their niche much as AMC did. But I am very fond of the Director/Actor tribute nights that they do and the focus it brings to these films.

Would someone show Robert Montgomery in The Lady in the Lake? Likely. Would someone else show Montgomery in Ride The Pink Horse? Not likely.

Heck, TCM finally even got rid of that dreadful multi-colored orb they tagged on practically the start of every feature. I would cringe as the fidelity was as bad as the image. The new one looks and sounds great. Three cheers!

Joel C

Screenwriter
The earlier showings are dubbed, the late-night are subbed.

I'm hoping they play the old Fox dub of Totoro, though I don't know that a widescreen print of it exists. I've never seen it, and would like to be able to compare it to the new Disney dub that will be on the DVD.

Of course, subtitled is usually my preference (save for Cowboy Bebop).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks