What's new

Mixing environment on the cheap (1 Viewer)

Hfuy

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil R
Hi folks,

This may be considered offtopic - if so, I apologise, but it might be interesting to discuss.

I edit video on a freelance basis and I need to set up an environment for creating soundtracks in 5.1 surround. This is my own personal setup, at home. If I ever cut anything that needs a super-high-end finish, I don't mix it myself in any case. Therefore, what I'm trying to achieve is not a high end postproduction facility, but results that are at least somewhat reasonable without it having to cost five figures to do. Hope that makes sense.

I currently have stereo monitoring on two JBL Control 5s. I thought to get three more, and make those the five, and get... something LFE-ish... whatever that might reasonably be. I use a Mass Technology 75 amplifier, barely at 25% of capacity in this small room. I could potentially drum up a couple of Leak Delta 30s if they're not too ancient to even consider. They sound OK to me. Or, I could look into a couple more Mass 75s.

Then it would need calibrating, however one does that. I visited Dolby's London screening room a week or so back, which is a particularly lovely Atmos-equipped room, and the concept seemed to be that no matter where a sound went in the surround array, it was timbre-matched and didn't audibly change. If I use the same amplification and speakers for the whole thing, lineup would seem limited to ensuring the room wasn't messing it up outrageously, and trimming in the LFE.

No idea if what I'm proposing is reasonable. Any thoughts?

Best,

HF

Hfuy

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil R
Any pointers on an LFE to complement something like JBL Control 5s, or even Control 1s if I went that way instead?

HF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks