What's new

Mixing 6 ohm & ohm speakers? (1 Viewer)

aster

Auditioning
Real Name
R
[EDIT: That title should read "6 ohm & *8* ohm speakers", looks like it's uneditable tho...]
Hi all...
Apologies if the answer to this is obvious - putting together my first basic 5.1 setup and haven't been able to find a clear answer via Google and whatnot.
Currently I've got a pair of 6-ohm front speakers (Pioneer SP-BS41-LR), a sub, and a 5.1 receiver (Yamaha RX-V371BL). The receiver's default is 8-ohm, but there is an overall 6-ohm setting (i.e. applied across the board rather than channel specific).
I've noticed that 6-ohm rear and centers are far less common so am wondering if the receiver can handle mixing in 8-ohm speakers for those, keeping in mind it would be set to the 6-ohm option. Or am I best off keeping a uniform impedance throughout the system?
Any advice would be much appreciated...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It doesn't matter at all. I am using a 4 ohm center, approximately 8 ohm mains and sort of 6 ohm surrounds.

aster

Auditioning
Real Name
R
Huh. I have read a number of items online - both from manufacturers and owners - saying it does indeed matter regarding certain setups...

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I have read a number of items online - both from manufacturers and owners - saying it does indeed matter regarding certain setups...
I'd be interested to see any manufacturer literature that says don't mix speakers with different impedances. The one case where this might be true is for cheap HTiB systems that use non-standard speaker levels; they also usually have proprietary connectors.
A manufacturer may say don't go below their rated impedance. That makes sense, but is usually a conservative approach to protect them. The resistance switch some of them have just limit voltage; and that is more likely to cause clipping problems (and damage). Best is to just not over-crank your receiver. If you don't listen at ear-bleeding levels then you'll be fine. Also, if your receiver has shut-down protect, you should be okay (not that you want to trip that very often).
All-in-all, it's a bigger problem and risk going down to 4 ohm. Using 6 ohm speakers is generally safe. And mixing 6 and 8 only reduces any problem you might have using 6 all 6 ohm speakers. The only effect this will have is to make a level calibration even more necessary (but you should be doing one anyway).
Just calibrate the speaker levels and crank up the volume.
I don't think so; or else I'm really confused. Sarcasm or annoyance?

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
If you amp supports it, you will need to set the amp to the lowest impedence setting. Other than that, shouldn't have a problem.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
If you amp supports it, you will need to set the amp to the lowest impedence setting. Other than that, shouldn't have a problem.
I've seen a number of articles that recommend against using that option. They say it reduces sound quality, and by limiting the voltage through the amp, promotes clipping. This is 2nd hand advice from just reading articles, but in the case of 6 ohm speakers I would not use that option. (4 ohm I cave.)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Set the receiver to the 6 Ohm setting and let it go.

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
i will throw my 2 cents in:
i was concerned about something similar as the OP, and yamaha told me that my receiver should not be set to 6ohm. i should leave it at 8ohm and do a ypao calibration and the receiver will adjust things as necessary. sounded too good to be true, so i asked again. same answer. apparently somehow the receiver knows. he was quite firm in his stance of not setting the unit to 6ohm.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Mike, you say you were concerned about "something similar", but you don't say what it was. Something you considered to be similar may be something completely different. Calibration is completely different from impedance.

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
JohnRice said:
Mike, you say you were concerned about "something similar", but you don't say what it was. Something you considered to be similar may be something completely different. Calibration is completely different from impedance.
i have 4ohm mains and no other speakers.
yamaha said to leave the receiver set to 8ohm and run the calibration and be done with it.
if i were the op, i would check with yamaha to confirm his receiver model will do the same

et1123

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
it doesn't matter as long as you stay within the guidelines of your receiver, ie. 6 ohm min or 8 ohm or 4 ohm.
Each channel is getting X amount of Voltage to it, which is applied to the resistance of your speakers which gives you Y amount of Wattage or Power.
P=Current times Voltage or Voltage squared divided by resistance.
So by lowering the resistance to 6 ohm from 8 ohm you will see a modest gain in Wattage to the speaker. Each channel is putting out it's own power so it doesn't matter if you have 8 ohm in one spot and 6 ohm in another as they are all independent of each other.

Hunter Buchanan

Auditioning
Robert_J said:
It doesn't matter. Just calibrate the speaker levels and crank up the volume.
Freaking Hilarious.. after all of the dry forum talk .. this totally made me laugh and made my day.. . JUST CRANK IT UP lol

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hunter Buchanan said:
Freaking Hilarious.. after all of the dry forum talk .. this totally made me laugh and made my day.. . JUST CRANK IT UP lol
Sometimes people will over think something that is pretty simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks