What's new

Mixers with optical inputs/output? (1 Viewer)

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Hi, I'm new to this forum. What I have been trying to figure out for some time is a replacement for my mixer that I use on my stereo. I mainly use it for two things:
1. So that I do not have to switch inputs (I have a lot of them)
2. So that I can have two inputs going over my speakers at the same time i.e a video game and my music from my disc changer.

The one I currently have only has XLR and RCA input/outputs and I am looking for a device that has Optical Input/outputs or HDMI. Almost all of my devices have these now. As long as I can still use the device for the 2 things listed above I am willing to consider devices other than mixers. My price range is 1200 or below, but I will consider more. Any one know of any mixers or devices that meet these requirements? Any help would be much appreciated.

Moderator's Note:

Not certain why you felt the need to have a number of separate links to another discussion on the same topic at a different forum sprinkled throughout this post...but I have removed them. Please PM me if you have any questions. Mike Frezon

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If you’re talking about a mixer with a lot of optical or HDMI ins and outs, you’re probably out of luck. The problem is that the optical and HDMI protocols are relatively specific to home components, and most audio mixing situations, either live or for recording, don’t involve any equipment with those outputs – e.g., musical instruments (other than electronic keyboards), microphones, etc. From what I’ve seen, HDMI mixing capability can probably only be had with professional video equipment, and will cost many times your budget.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Thank u so much for the input. Would you know (or anyone else) if any preamps have multi-channel in, like a mixer, that would allow to play two sources over the stereo at once?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Northgun, on 27 Aug 2013 - 6:13 PM, said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum. What I have been trying to figure out for some time is a replacement for my mixer that I use on my stereo. I mainly use it for two things:
1. So that I do not have to switch inputs (I have a lot of them)
2. So that I can have two inputs going over my speakers at the same time i.e a video game and my music from my disc changer.

1) What do you mean, “so you don’t have to switch inputs?” Are you intending to have them all running at the same time? After all, that’s the function that a mixer accommodates. If not, I don’t see how it would be simpler switching inputs on a mixer compared to a traditional AVR. With the mixer you’d have to at least move a few sliders around – manually. With the AVR, you have remote control.

2) If hearing music from one source while viewing video from another is all you need, that’s relatively easy to accomplish. For instance, Yamaha’s AVRs have traditionally had this capability. All you have to do is select a video component as you would normally. Then switch to an audio input using the remote, and the picture for the video component stays on the screen. I don’t know of other manufacturer’s AVRs will do this, but you might check and see if yours will.

Northgun, on 29 Aug 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:
Thank u so much for the input. Would you know (or anyone else) if any preamps have multi-channel in, like a mixer, that would allow to play two sources over the stereo at once?

This post seems inconsistent with the first. Regardless, why would anyone want two separate audio sources playing at the same time?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks