What's new

Mitsubishi will no longer make analog RPTVs! (1 Viewer)

VicRuiz

Second Unit
Read the Press Release
Excellent! This is one of the steps needed in order to increase DTV product share in the public's hands. People need to stop buying analog stuff, and if the manufacturers stop making it, then the public can't buy it :D . Now if only the other manufacturers did the same thing.
Note that this only applies to rear projection TVs. There is no mention of direct-view TVs in the press release, so I assume they'll continue to make those. But hey, it's a start. Everything above 42" will be DTV-Ready. Good move!

Steve_AA

Agent
Yes Vic, it is a good start. But the direct-view sets will be the key. The masses still buy mostly direct-view sets. When they become mostly digital then we'll have arrived!

Brad_V

Second Unit
The part about how there is "tremendous interest" in the sets due to content protection and recording HD broadcasts was rather amusing. I'm sure there will be even more interest in those two things if any down-rezzing does indeed happen.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
I expect to see announcements from other manufacturers by years end pertaining to dropping their analog sets...

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Well, FYI Mitsubishi has not made a direct view set in years. They got out of that business at around 5 years ago to focus on big screen tv's.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Hopefully the other manufacturers follow suit. This will be a great step in the right direction towards an all HDTV world. I like the sound of that!! :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Mitsubishi still makes direct-view sets, but they are not exported to the United States. Too bad, since some of the best-looking NTSC-based direct views I've seen have been Mistus.

Remember, Mitsubishi is positioning itself as a source for DTVs. This release was inevitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks