What's new

Mitsubishi WD73737 DLP shutting itself off (1 Viewer)

Lumberbum

Auditioning
Real Name
Darrell
I have a mitsubishi DLP tv that has started randomly shutting itself off. When it shuts off the green light will slowly blink while the lamp cools down just like it does if you shut it off. As soon as it quits blinking you can turn it back on and it may not do this again for days. Other times it may do it two or three times a day. I cleaned the filters and fans even though I didn't think it was overheating. I also replaced the lamp with an Osram but it still does this. It has a great picture and we love it but it gets a little annoying when it does this especially if it is right in the middle of something you would like to see. Since there are fewer and fewer techs that work on DLPs I'm hoping someone on here might be able to give me some guidance as to what could be the problem. I'm leaning towards the power supply but can't understand why it doesn't do this on a regular basis. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mmaiden81

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcelo N.
I have 2 Mitsubishi DLP's a 65 (6 years old) and a 82 (4 years old). Both occasionally will shut off on its own(maybe once every 2 to 3 months) I do believe they tend to overheat a lot specially because of the bulb, make sure you leave plenty of space between the back of the tv and the wall. Maybe adding a fan there will help. It does get super hot back there.

Lumberbum

Auditioning
Real Name
Darrell
I have 2 Mitsubishi DLP's a 65 (6 years old) and a 82 (4 years old). Both occasionally will shut off on its own(maybe once every 2 to 3 months) I do believe they tend to overheat a lot specially because of the bulb, make sure you leave plenty of space between the back of the tv and the wall. Maybe adding a fan there will help. It does get super hot back there.
Does an error message come up about it overheating or anything? Also, does a yellow led light up when this happens? From what I've read in the owners manual as well as online both of the symptoms are mentioned. I don't really think mine is an overheating problem as this morning it went off after having only been on for 10 minutes or so. As soon as the blinking green light went out i turned it back on and we have had it on the rest of the day. it almost like someone has a remote control other than mine in the room and is turning it off. Thats the reason I think it has something to do with the power supply. As long as it doesn't start doing it more often I can live with it but just afraid it will start doing it more often. Thanks for the input though.

mmaiden81

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcelo N.
No error message or yellow light, just a blinking green as if you press power on the remote to shut it off. The only other symptom I've seen is when a bulb goes off the light goes red.

I found this: http://www.stereoandvideorepairco.com/Troubleshooting/MitsubishiShutdownTroubleshooting.html

To get the TV set to show you codes you need to push the activity (or input depending on your tv model) and channel down button at the same time on your tv set.

If you do a quick google search on this there's a lot of info there.

Does an error message come up about it overheating or anything? Also, does a yellow led light up when this happens? From what I've read in the owners manual as well as online both of the symptoms are mentioned. I don't really think mine is an overheating problem as this morning it went off after having only been on for 10 minutes or so. As soon as the blinking green light went out i turned it back on and we have had it on the rest of the day. it almost like someone has a remote control other than mine in the room and is turning it off. Thats the reason I think it has something to do with the power supply. As long as it doesn't start doing it more often I can live with it but just afraid it will start doing it more often. Thanks for the input though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks