What's new

Mitsubishi WD-82840 vs WD-82740 vs WD-73840 (1 Viewer)

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I agree that DLP rear projection is a great value. Picture quality is excellent, but proper viewing distance is more important then with LCD/Plasma flat panels. Color wheels and light tunnels are parts to watch for. Since there are moving parts, they are more likely to have a problem. I have a Samsung DLP and they have stepped up with a few repairs even out of warranty, but the last few years have been trouble free

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I am one of many whose Mitsubishi DLP sets died prematurely. (The motherboard fried after about 3-4 years -- would've cost $1100 to replace!) It may have had something to do with the poor power quality around here, but who knows? I currently have a Toshiba, but only Mitsubishi still makes DLPs. I use a better-quality UPS now, at any rate.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
My father-in-law has had a 72" Mits since around 2004 or 2005. He bought the extended warranty for peace of mind and bulb replacement. I know in around 2008 he started having odd behavior with the picture and they replaced it outright with a newer model at no cost. Recently, he had a dead pixel that turned into 16 within a few months. They picked it up last week and are repairing that under warranty. So it hasn't been issue free but at least it keeps getting replaced or fixed. Of course he paid a good sum back then. I'm pretty sure it was over 4K.

txdukes

Auditioning
Real Name
karen
Did he purchase a 7 year warranty or what gives? I also owned a 2005 Mitsubishi DLP, purchased a 5 year warranty, but when it ran out, I was out of luck. The DLP is currently in the corner, looking for a good suggestion as to what to do with it. The day after my extended warranty expired, nobody wanted tohear from me.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
When they replaced it for free under the old warranty in 2008 they gave him an opportunity to extend his previous warranty for another 5 years to cover the newer model.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I had multiple Mits DLP's and every 3-4 years the main processing board would die. Luckily I got the first one replaced all together (it blew two boards in less then 2 months). The second one lasted about 4 years before the board went. Got it replaced under warranty and sold it to buy my plasma. I won't go back even though I liked the bang for buck aspect of the DLP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks