What's new

Mitsubishi Promise Module for HD-ready TVs (1 Viewer)

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
I just received a postcard from Mitsubishi electronics. On the postcard, Mits has a "Promise Module" which will upgrade my television to fully integrated HD performance.

The price listed on the card is $995 installed (plus tax and shipping).

Does anyone know anything about this? Is this set-up better than an HD set-top box? Is the $1000 price tag worthwhile? I'd love to have your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

ChuckSn

Grip
I received the same postcard and have the same questions. Is it worth the upgrade over less expensive HD decoder options available? Any input would be helpful.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Well I feel ripped off. As I recall the promise module was supposed to be reasonably priced, that was part of the promise. At over 1/3 the cost of my TV, I don't feel that's reasonably priced at all. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Well I'm in dial-up hell and am having a hard time getting through that thread. Can someone tell me if this really does anything more than add firewire and a tuner to your TV? And what about DVI? What if that becomes the standard or has that decision been made? If DVI becomes the standard will Mits follow up with another "reasonably priced" upgrade? And will the refund the first one.

Does anybody know the difference in price between the 411 and 511 TVs? In my opinion this promise module shouldn't cost more than that.

I noticed in that thread that the first person that mentioned the price was immediately slammed on. Am I the only person thinking this is outrageously overpriced? I just don't get it. Plus this is a discounted price. What happens to people who fall for this later this year? How much are they going to be charged?

Also, what's this AV-Disc people are talking about? Who makes it? Is it out or when will it be out?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well here's My two cents after also getting the postcard.
I'm gonna pass. For a few reasons. First I'm not where the HDTV spec is going and I'm not sure the Manufacturers do either. This mits does'nt support the DVI option being kicked around if that turns out to be the way then even if an upgrade is possible that's more money. I have a DTC100, I get my sole couple of HDTV off air channels with that and it suits me for the amount currently broadcasting. I Own a Tivo so unfortunately it owns the majority of my TV viewing. Plus the Final nail in the coffin for the promise for me is that it can only be installed by an authorized Mits installer. Well I let those butchers touch my TV once and they almost totaled it. Never Again. I also have to feel it's a little too late and a little to pricey.

Brian DL

Auditioning
I concur w/ Dave; being a recent receipent of a Tivo and owner of a Mitsu I am very very disappointed w/ Mitsubishi regarding this issue. I am planning to write them a formal letter expressing my discontent.

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
For $1000, I'd rather use Time Warners HD box to get my HD programming.....and put that $1000 towards something else.

What a rip off......I agree, total waste of time to wait for it, Mits really screwed us over on this one.

JMHO

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks