What's new

Mitsubishi Empty Promises? (1 Viewer)

Aristides

Agent
Two years ago I purchased a Mitsubishi WS-55311 HD upgradeable set with the knowledge that they have an upgrade promise that states that they will provide for a cost upgrade modules for their sets.

As it turns out they have one for my set, however it does not include a DVI connection.

I e-mailed customer service to see when the module that does include this connection would be available.

I was instructed to call customer service who coincidentally informed me that there is no plan to provide this connection in any upgrade module.

Re-reading the promise states that near-future technology is covered. why not DVI then? The following year Mitsubishi sets included DVI inputs.

Should I write a letter to Mitsubishi? Am I making too big of a deal of this? Will component cables offer the same quality as DVI?

I'm a little perturbed at the idea that they may not be backing their promises to consumers.

Thanks in advance

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
How much is the upgrade?

Sorry, I haven't been following Mits for a while, but I remembered seeing their marketing ads, something about HD upgradeable.

So, if you purchase this HD kit, will it make your WS-5531 an HDTV?

Depending on the cost, you might be better off buying a new set that is already HD Ready.

From my opinion, DVI is not a factor on a RPTV. There are people that will disagree with me, but I am not convinced that DVI is worth it. I see the same stunning picture from component cables.

Majority of us still use component cables for video.

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't worry about it. The benefit of DVI inputs for analog displays is somewhat questionable. It's not whether the set is rear projection or not, it's if it is digital or not. If you had say a LCD or DLP rear projection set, I would say by all means, give them hell about it. However for a analog CRT set, the picture is going to get converted to analog at some point anyways, so there might not really be too much of a difference between a component signal and a digital signal when it gets to your TV. In fact, the video processor from your video source may be much better than one they would offer inside your TV, so the picture may be better if it was converted to analog first and then just sent into your TV. If you have a fixed pixel digital display, there are definately benefits to keeping the signal digital at all times with a DVI interface. For an analog display, it shouldnt make as much of a difference. Like I said, don't worry about it.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Mitsubishi is on the verge of going out of business (I am being a BIT sarcastic), so I would not be surprised if they are cutting things back.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I read somewhere a couple years ago that they stated that they did not have plans to add DVI as part of their sets or upgrade cards. Might have been on their website when I was researching RPTVs in late 2002 or early 2003, but I can't remember for sure.

Aristides

Agent
Thanks for the replies, I realize that component video should would work just as well. I'm still confused as to why they wouldn't include the connection on the upgrade when DVI was standard on the following years sets.

To answer a few questions...Mitsubishi does charge the consumer for the upgrade module...at an asking price of $995.00 (too much IMHO).

I've done some re-researching of my set and am upset, at myself mostly, for not realizing that the set will not pass 720p. The only HD signal passed would be 1080i.

I've decided not to write a letter to Mitsubishi USA regarding the 'empty' promise. I've also decided to forego the addition of the upgrade module.

For the $1000 I will save I will buy a HD satellite package with appropriate cables and still have $$ to spare.

In the long run, 2-4 years, I'll be upgrading the set. Whether it's RPTV of FP is now the question.

Still enjoying the set I have for now.

sincerely,
Aristides

I currently have a 2003 model 73711 Mits TV. It was there top of the line rptv model. It doesn't have dvi on it. I don't think that I am missing anything because I don't have a DVI connection. People that have compared DVI to Component cables for the HDTivo have said there isn't much of a difference, many not seeing any difference at all. I have the new HDTivo and have heard that the picture from the component cables look better!

Ron A.

StephenHa

Second Unit
they aren't doing the dvi because dvi is not going to be around forever, a few companies weren't going to include it eve and ended up adding it since the standard for tehm to develop the new connection was so slow in comming

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
^^^Good point! If they have an HDMI option with a year or two then that should satisfy their promise.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
$1000 is way too much. You are making the right move by saving and getting a better set.

I have HDMI on my Panasonic.

fred garvin

Agent
sorry to beat a thread into the ground, but i have a mitsubishi VS 50607 HDTV "upgradeable" tv . does that mean if i get the HDTV digital cable box from my cable company ( i allready have digital cable, just not a HDTV box) will my tv be able to display the hdtv signal from that box (will most likely be hooked up via component cable)

thanx

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I heard that only Mitsubishi's automotive business was going under. I thought that their CE branch was doing well (They certainly make the best RPTV-CRT as far as PQ goes).

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
CE is becoming harder and harder due to the open market from China and other countries. Its good for the customers because they have so many other choices, but bad for the big brands, who are trying to make their margin.

Most Chinese CE companies don't pay any license fees. For example, you can buy a off brand DVD player for $39.99 or even less. The Chinese have their own DVD processor, where they don't pay any license fees. That's why you seen brands that you never heard of at prices that is very cheap.

The Big Brand still need to compete, but they also need to cut their margin by offering a player in the same ball park. They still need to pay the fees, but most likely when you buy a sub $100 branded player, you are getting at cost or less.

This is why you see fewer branded players in the market now because its not worth it.

CRT RPTV's are becoming history. In a few years, it will be hard to buy a CRT RPTV's because there are other technology out there that are worth investing.

Big Brands can't sell by their names alone. Consumers are well inform before they shop. Sales person are useless as it is. Local shops should cut their sales people all together and start offering point to point business, minus the commission to the sales guy.

Big Brand will offer lower prices and better features.

The consumer will decide which brand to get, the branded set that cost 15% more or the no namer that is cheaper and better.

The excited thing about technology is, there are no boarders.

CE industry will be very different.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks