What's new

Mitsubishi Diamond vs. Toshiba (1 Viewer)

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
Haven't been here in a while, but around a year and a half ago, I got much help from folks here when choosing an RPTV. Wound up going with Toshiba's top-line 65". Can't remember the model number, but it's a gorgeous set.

Now I've stumbled onto an incredible deal on my choice of either a Mitsubishi Diamond or Platinum 65" widescreen. The Diamond is one beautiful piece of hardware that I never considered when shopping before because its price was more than I wanted to pay. Now I can get a splendid deal, sell my Toshiba, and be into the Mits Diamond for just a few hundred bucks extra plus the hassle of swapping out these huge sets.

Worth the trouble? Anyone in here have direct experience with the Mits Diamonds?

Many thanks...

Jerry

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
Unless you already have a buyer already for your current RPTV I wouldn't do it. The resale value of used RPTV's is terrible, let alone the fact they are hard to sell.

In regards the Mitsubishi, I used to have one. Great set, every model has red push(which can be corrected). Picture is only good out of the box, but great once tweaked.

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks much, Donnie. I have a retail store myself in which I've always had great luck moving my post-upgrade goods, including a couple of RPTVs, so that aspect isn't a concern.

The difference between what I can comfortably sell the Tosh for vs. what I can get this brand-new-in-the-box Mits for is looking like it'll be around $600-700. Then of course a half-day's work swapping them out physically, getting the Tosh to my store, etc.

As for tweaking, how tough a job? Something an ultra-savvy prosumer like myself with a Video Essentials disc can handle, or am I likely to need a pro to come in? What's the nutshell of the process to fix the red push?

The Tosh has an incredible picture on progressive scan DVD. Pretty junky on DirecTiVo, but that's primarily the signal's fault. Plus, this Mits cabinet is beautiful and a better aesthetic match in my room.

My apologies if these issues have been beat to death here already--life has been really hectic for me lately and I'm quite out of touch.

Many thanks...

Jerry

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As for tweaking, how tough a job?
You don't say which year model. On my 55411 (current year's model), the SD inputs have individual color levels. I turned down the red and magenta to about 25%. I haven't done anything on the component yet. Either it will be an antennuator on the red cable, build me an IC2 cable or have it professionally calibrated. VE + a 64 point convergence will give you a great picture.

BTW, can you get the Memphis HD channels down in Tupelo?

-Robert

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Robert. The model is WS65711, and I'm assuming it's a current model since it's still listed on Mitsubishi's site in the product lineup.

Unless HDTV broadcast signals are stronger than conventional signals, we're too far away from the Memphis stations. I wish! No HD around here at all. I started to go ahead and get an HD DirecTV receiver a few weeks back, until discovering that they only offer two HD channels right now. Just didn't feel like it was worth the expense and trouble until the selection gets bumped up a bit.

Are you in Memphis?

Jerry

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All of them, kind of.
CBS - all of primetime
ABC - primetime when they remember to throw the switch
NBC - Law and Order, Crossing Jordan, Leno and a couple of others.
Fox - had some equipment problems and just started digital broadcasting again. It's low power and only the people near the building can pick up the signal. Bare minimum to comply with the FCC
UPN - digital broadcasting but no shows are in HD
WB - none

I think that's it. A few of us are posting in the Memphis thread over at AVS Forums in the Local HDTV Reception section. There is a guy in NE Arkansas getting HD. He's over 60 miles away.

-Robert

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe I need to take a look and see how far I am as the proverbial crow flies. 'Twould be awesome.

Thanks again, Robert...

Jerry

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, got the Mits. In the house and set up. Already been through the VE setup. I've always wondered exactly what the famed Red Push would look like. Now I know. My Toshiba had perfect color in every way. If this first DVD I'm watching on the Mits isn't filmed with some funky effect or something, then I assume it's the RP that's causing this subtle reddish tint to certain colors. If I'm right and that's what I'm seeing, how do I fix it?

Someone mentioned an attenuator on the red input cable. Where can I get such an attenuator, or how do I make one? Details would be much appreciated.

Jerry

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
Jerry:

>>> Someone mentioned an attenuator on the red input cable. Where can I get such an attenuator, or how do I make one? Details would be much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks