Mitsubishi 92" DLP

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bryan^H, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

What went wrong? Why was production of theses stopped. I always wanted to sample one(especially the 3D mode. I'm upset because it's one of the TV's that ABC Warehouse(1 mile from my house) actually carried, and it was dirt cheap. by the time I was interested in a big tv, it was already too late.

mits1.jpg

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Cheap lowest common denominator LCD sets encroached on the price.

3. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

They are still readily available in the used market. Most for under $1k. Can you tell me if they were problematic, or without issues. Was the picture quality decent?

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    The image quality was good, but not real bright. Like LCD, as viewing angle increases, the image deteriorates. And the bulb needs to be replaced periodically.Have you thought about a front projector? You can buy a new 1080p for $800, such as the Benq W1070. Highly rated and very popular.

5. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Very much so, however I have had to put my Home theater on hold until I get a house with a better basement setup. A big screen tv in the living room would just be a "quick fix".

6. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    It would be worth your while to check rental places (Aaron's/RAC) to see if they have anything lingering.Mits made "C" models for rent that corresponded with the 2nd model up in the line-up.

7. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Oh yeah. The rent model numbers would(if memory serves)...73C9, 82C8, 65C6 etc...The number after the C is year made.

8. Brian Dye

Brian Dye Auditioning

My step-dad, uncle and a few friends parents (years back) bought DLP TV's (Most being 65" or bigger) and they all never appealed to me.

They take a good while to turn on/off, the picture quality just wasnt all there to me, it seemed very dark, and 2 of them ended up getting funky color waves burned into the screen, and my step dad had to replace his bulb multiple times in a short period (Only a couple years, went through 2 or 3 bulbs) and only watched maybe one movie a night on it.

Is there something special about these besides the big sizes/low prices?