Mits WT-42311 and viewing distance

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Raymond Hubbard, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Raymond Hubbard

Raymond Hubbard Auditioning

[​IMG] I'm considering the Mits WT-42311 because of the size and weight. The problem is that I'll sit about 6 feet from the screen. I will watch mostly cable with some progresive scan DVD's (75%/25%) ratio. A 36" tube is too heavy for my Sanus stand and I would like something larger than 32" but 34" wide screen tubes are just too expensive.

2. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

The rule of thumb that I have seen is 1.5 - 2 times the diagonal size of the screen. In your case that would be 5.25' - 7' away from the screen. With that in mind, 6' is not too close.

3. sean_pecor

sean_pecor Stunt Coordinator

For 75% regular 4:3 standard cable TV content I suspect that 6' from eyeball to screen may be a little too close but you would "adapt". If you're 6' from the edge of the sofa/chair to the screen, then your eyes are probably 8' from the screen and that would be just fine.

For DVD viewing, 6' from eyeball to screen on a 42" 16:9 is not too close at all. To achieve a 30 degree viewing angle (i.e., the backseat of a movie theater) the recommended distance is around 5.7 feet.

Sean.