What's new

Mission style Tempest Enclosure PICS - Nearly done (1 Viewer)

Darren_T

Second Unit
Well, I'm nearly done with my Tempest. I decided to finish it as a mission style piece. Here are a few pics, I'll post more when I have applied the finish and have it inside. I applied cherry veneer to each side then milled up some solid cherry for the styles and rails and feet.
Pic of Back
Pic of front corner
Pic of Foot detail

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
Very nice work, Darren! Cherry is my favorite wood species. Slap an oil finish on it and I'm sure it will look fantastic!

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Damn, that makes me wont to go back out to the garage & start ripping some boards:D Very nice work:emoji_thumbsup:

Cam S

Screenwriter
Holy shit! That is a seriously nice piece of work you have done there! I too love cherry, and that is gonna be one hell of a looker. What are the specs of the box, and how will you be finishing the cherry?

Darren_T

Second Unit
Thanks for all the compliments guys.

The Box is 22" X 24.5" X 30" with 64 oz of polyfil and 11" center tubes on two 3" ports. It's a modified Adire Alignment vented Tempest. I milled solid cherry down to 1/4" for the styles and rails and used 3/4" cherry for the legs and top. This thing isn't light! You can put your hand on it when it's operating and barely feel a thing, nice and solid.

I don't have any of the specs yet on how it performs because I still don't have an avia disk yet. I should be getting that this weekend. I have measured about 110db at 1 meter though.

I haven't decided on a finish yet. I was thinking a few coats of lacquer sprayed on and then rub it out with wax but I'm considering an oil finish...

Darren

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
You are not kidding about the high WAF. I HAVE to show my wife these pictures. I think I can sell her on this one!

Thanks for the great pictures and the GREAT ideas!

rf

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Chris, where was the sub at the fair, I am going today and would love to see it. YGM and PM.

Darren_T

Second Unit
I decided to go with a Tung Oil finish followed by two coats of lacquer sprayed on. I'll complete the job with a hand rubbed wax. I have the first coat of Tung Oil on and will apply the second coat tonight. I may have to wait a week to spray the lacquer on though. Have to be sure the Tung Oil is completely cured or I could end up with a real mess. Sure looks good already with the first coat.

Darren

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i am just starting at wood working and i have a biggner setup of robie tools i am not that good right now but with some pratice i hope to be as good as what you made there that is very sweet and my sister woulsd love that if it had the right stain on it she loves dark cherry i like mapel my self but that is very swweeeetttttt

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Post some pics with the tung oil applied if you have them!
I am going to "attempt" a 122L sealed Tempest this Fall. If I do I might have a few questions for you! ;) Like: Are the solid Cherry styles just glued on?
take care,
Ronnie

Beautiful. That's a work of art.
This is very similiar to what I had in mind for my new sub project. Has a high spouse acceptance factor because it doesn't look like a speaker.
I'm considering a Tempest with the HS200 AMP. Anyone ever done two of these bad boys in an isobaric configuration? [grin]

-Jeff
new guy on the forum

Darren_T

Second Unit
Here are a couple pics of the sub with 2 coats of Tung Oil rubbed in with 0000 steel wool. The pictures really don't do it justice.
Pic of face
Pic of foot detail
Yes Ronnie, the styles and rails are just glued on, I was going to go crazy stupid detailed and use lap joints to make the frame but decided it wasn't worth the effort because I'd be the only one that noticed the extra attention to detail. I was just certain to make accurate cuts that were very tight so any expansion and contraction would not be noticed. There will be minimal expansion and contraction because I'm sealing it with lacquer and because the boards are adhered to MDF. I probably wouldn't recommend this technique for high humidity climates.
Darren

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I showed my wife the pics, she says "thats not Mission style, it is way better than mission". She is an interior design freak, she says "where do we buy one of those?"

dang, If I were only a great woodworker with all the tools (like her dad is), oh well.

Darren_T

Second Unit
I showed my wife the pics, she says "thats not Mission style, it is way better than mission". She is an interior design freak, she says "where do we buy one of those?"
Tell your wife thanks Rodney. I appreciate the compliments from everyone.
I guess you could say my inspiration is from the Mission style, I didn't adhere to it strictly so your wife is correct ;)
Darren

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks