What's new

Mission Impossible ? (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Is there an anamorphic print of mission impossible #1?
I assume you mean an anamorphic DVD. (A "print" generally refers to a copy of the movie on actual film.)

The first MI was one of Paramount's earliest DVD releases, most of which were recycled laser disc transfers and, accordingly, non-anamorphic. A special edition remaster will probably be released at some point, but my guess is it won't be until shortly before the release of MI:3, which is currently scheduled for next year.

M.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
don't get the r2 version - PAL speed up. never used to bother me, but did an a/b comparison recently, and never, never again will i buy a PAL dvd. it just sounds so wrong!

as Michael said, paramount might re-issue when MI3 is released. but then again, they didn't budge an inch when jason X came out. they could've done something with their friday the 13th series, but didn't. so don't get your hopes up.

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
I'm sure I heard somewhere that a Mission: Impossible special edition was in the works...

And as for PAL speed-up, I could barely even notice it in A/B comparisons, so obviously it depends very much on the individual as to whether it is an issue...

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator
And then again, the laserdisc looks pretty good, despite the fact that "laserdisc transfer" is usually a condemnation.

Charlie

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
"laserdisc transfer" is usually a condemnation
Not from me. It's more a question of date than quality. The transfer used for the MI:1 DVD is quite good; it just isn't anamorphic, because it was done in an era when anamorphic formatting for home video was almost unheard-of. (I say "almost" because of that handful of early LDs, which Rachel would no doubt feel compelled to mention if I left them out. :) )

M.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'd love an SE of M:I with an anamorphic transfer, maybe DTS, and a good collection of extras.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Hey, it's time for a Special Edition: (anamorphic enhancement): release of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE.

I would buy this one, (and will not buy the current non-anamorphic version).

Mike_Skill

Stunt Coordinator
I know there's an HD master of it, because it airs on HBO Hi-def from time to time and it blows the DVD away!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The 5.1 track on HBo is pretty stellar. It actually sounds better than the 5.1 track on the Laserdisc. I hope this makes it to the DVD because I would be thrilled. DTS would be a nice bonus but I'm not holding my breath with Paramount.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Bought a used copy of MI-1 as a placeholder.

Transfer is OK as early DVDs go, line structure isn't too visible and picture stability is fairly good.

Not sure how well this would hold up on larger set, but I've seen *much* worse LBX transfers.

Would like to get 'Days of Thunder' too, but I think that transfer is not as good...

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I was browsing at a video store today and say both Days of Thunder and Mission: Impossible for $10 apiece. I would've purchased them on the spot, but I thought I'd check in here first to see if they were anamorphically enhanced. From the threads I'd searched, Days of Thunder is a crap transfer in addition to being non-anamorphic. I thought for sure M:I would be, but I was mistaken. With the forthcoming release of MI3, I think I'll hold off and see if special editions will be released. As for Days of Thunder, I may just have to get it, since I've heard no news of a re-release.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Days of Thunder and Mission: Impossible
I think both were 2/$15 at a recent BB sale.

I paid about $7 used for each early this year.

I used to be very hung-up on 16x9 vs 4x3 encoding, but at some point I just wanted to have a copy of my favorite movies.

Maybe they will get redone on DVD, maybe not...

Similarly, I picked up 'Primal Fear' and 'Ghost & Darkness' for the same reason.

Will get 'Breakdown' when I see it at a good price.

Some studios have been releasing a rash of reissues lately, but not Paramount.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
MI:2 was one of a few blind purchases I regretted. MI, though, I have yet to purchase hoping for an anamorphic transfer. Good news to hear that one is in the works.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks