What's new

Mission: Impossible III on HD DVD and Blu-ray on October 30th (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I found this on HTF's front page

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/ne...rticle_ID=9516
(Sorry about the annoying Ice Age add)

So the DVD, HD DVD, and BD will all be released on the same day (10/30).

I didn't see this in the theater, so I'm looking forward to catching it on HD DVD. I liked ALIAS and enjoyed the first two MI's to various degrees. So this is cool news.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
It looks like the two releases will be pretty identical for both formats (at least based on this info). The biggest exception being that the HD DVD will have the in-movie-experience and the BD will not.

I'd be willing to bet that they will both feature the same video transfer in VC-1.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
I wish Paramount would hold back on the Blu-Ray release and help expedite the consumer move to HD DVD

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Is the "in movie experience" exclusive to HD-DVD period, or does Blu-Ray have something similar lined up as well using BD-J?

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
The most exciting news is the PRICE!

$29.99 HD/BD
$24.99 DVD SE
$19.99 DVD

Exactly what I proposed earlier to make the new formats fly.
This will also solve the "should I buy the DVD now or wait for HD" question.

Someone in Paramount should be promoted!

All other studios should follow suit.
Enough with the combo discs, which look like pirate DVD-Rs!

No region coding either! Importing is a premium in any case.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

As I understand it, the Samsung BD player can only handle the "lowest level" of BD-J which can't do PiP (picture in picture). I'm not sure if this limitation will be there on the upcoming Sony, Pioneer, and Panasonic players or if they are supposed to have the next BD-J level which can handle PiP. I wouldn't think that these would be limited in such a way because that would be nuts considering the price (and importance for BD to show that it can offer what HD DVD can offer). But I'm really not sure.

Anyway, I believe that this kind of feature can and will eventually be used for BD as well. But I don't think it is likely to be used very soon. Also, since most BDs are expected to be single layer (25GB) for a while, it would be a tighter fit. But BD should eventually have this kind of stuff as well (and if/when they get dual layer discs with VC-1 or AVC to be standard, this kind of stuff [plus other interactive stuff] should be the norm for new releases).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

What consumer movement? A few enthusiasts on a couple of internet boards does not constitute a movement towards one format or another. Right now, judging by the complete lack of promotion of either format, there seems to be very little movement towards any hi-def format by the mass consumer market. Paramount withholding titles from BD release would have no appreciable effect on the adoption of one format over the other, because average consumers do not seem to be buying anything.....HD-DVD or BD.

Edit:
Right after posting the comments I decided that most of it was the wrong venue since this is a thread about M.I:III being released on both formats. Please excuse me. I have deleted the bulk of the post.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder

Thanks for the answer Sean. :)

The reason I asked is because I just think that the PiP special feature might have been left out of the BD version M:i 3 because of lack of disc space due to the use of MPEG2. Had VC1 been used, the PiP feature might have been included as well. However, I could be totally wrong, maybe it is the BD player issue. I'm just thinking out loud.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8192607

"BD added things like Picture in Picture too late to their spec for it to be incorporated into their players. Without Picture in Picture, one says goodbye to IME. Anyone who buys a Samsung and ever wants to watch such features, would by definition have to buy another player, and waste $1,000. Same may also be true of the rest of the BD 1G players.

There is also the space issue in BD-25 depending on how much data the main feature takes but per above, this is secondary right now."

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The HD 1G players have their shortcomings too. Luckily, though I have both formats I'm expecting to upgrade these 1G players within a couple of years anyway.

Also, is that MI3 release date wrong, since, October 30th is a Monday? I updated our listing release schedule, but used the October 31 date for MI3 until I find out exactly what is the correct release date.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder

It's not a misprint, the date is correct. It's being called a "Mission: Monday" release. Go figure LOL. :)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Do you think they are releasing it on Monday because Tuesday is Halloween?

Odd if so, because I can't see how it being Halloween would be relevant to most people who would be buying the disc that day anyway.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Another interesting thing:

This IS a two disc set.
http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-cover.php?did=3268

Amir confirmed at AVS that it is two discs for HD DVD and BD.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8193880

He also stated that it was purely a marketing decision by Paramount and that it all could have gone on one disc if that was what Paramount chose to do.

Basically they went with a "Two discs sell better than one (even if it all fits on one)" strategy.

This type of marketing strategy is something that many of us have been aware of for a long time with SD DVD. However, I guess no one was sure if this would carry over to the High Def formats. Now it seems that at least Paramount is doing so.

If that is the case, then the space difference between the formats becomes even less relevant (whether you're looking at HD DVD 30 vs. BD 25 or HD DVD 30 vs BD 50)

Interesting.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I suppose the next question is:

Are the extras on the second disc all in High Definition? If they are in standard definition, then the HD DVD second disc would probably be the single layer 15GB or even the "9GB version". Same with the BD. They probably wouldn't have any reason to use more than the BD9 if the extras for this second disc are Standard Def.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Just wonderful. One big selling point for me when it came to hi-def DVD was for everything to be a on a single disc. I don't like this one bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks