What's new

Missing Warners Titles (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Charles - sexism? Isn't that a bit much?

It would be different if we knew the status of every movie that every studio owned - but we don't. Maybe the ones not out yet have a release problem, or maybe they are badly damaged and need work.

You want SE's too. Ok, which would you rather have - an SE of something that has already been released or a movie that hasn't been released yet?

I am sure that the plants are cranking out new DVD's just as fast as they can. Patience is the word. We just have to wait and see.

Glenn

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
It was mentioned in a WB chat when I asked about Bette's films that WB would work on those films after the "Boys" (Bogart, Cagney & Flynn) had there stuff released. I too want my Bette fix! :D

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Ha! I was right! There is sexism at WHV regarding the release of classic films! Why Bette after Flynn & Cagney? She was a MUCH bigger star!!!!!!

Jack Walsh

Auditioning
Someone mentioned Prince of the City earlier in this thread. It's a shame this has been forgotten over the years because I think it's one of the best police corruption films ever made. Very underrated. Where is the love for this one? I thought Warner in one of the chats mentioned they were in the process of putting together a Sidney Lumet collection. Is this at all true?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Gee Charles, kick me! :) I won't touch the 'bigger' factor, but you should be glad that your favorite star is in their top ten! Gee, the top five too! I wish I could say that about some of the titles I want.

Glenn

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
In my eyes Davis is as "BIG" a star as any of the "Boys", but WB has their priorities & I'll just have to wait for my Bette DVDs even though I don't want to. In the meantime I'll buy a lot of the "Boys" films. ;) ;) ;)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Part of the reason why the Bette Davis movies are taking longer is likely due to the age of the films. A lot of her classics were made in the 1930's... and Warner is usually picky about what they release from before 1940.

Although, the same should go for the Cagney films.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Robert, Bette's status is a historical fact. Look it up: she was the most "bankable" Warners star in the 30s and 40s, apearing in the annual box office top 10 several times, with Bette reaching her peak in 1940 as America's top female performer! (Mickey Rooney was at #1 overall) Then there's her 10 Oscar nomiations for Best Actress with two wins, and her status as the 2nd greatest American film actress of all time in the AFI poll, topped only by Katharine Hepburn. And let's not forget her AFI Lifetime Achievement Award and her Kennedy Center Honor.

If that doesn't make her bigger than Cagney & Flynn, the I don't know what does! Think about it......

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

First off, I'm fully aware of Bette's career and she is one of my favorite actresses, but to say she is a "Much bigger" star than Cagney was a little too much for me. Her AA history is impressive, but IMO, that isn't a real indicator to judge how bright her star is compared to Cagney, who starred in gangster films for Warner that would be largely ignored by the Academy while Bette's melodramas was more to their liking.

Secondly, as far as box office, her record was very impressive, but in most cases, she was paired with an outstanding leading actor that certainly helped in those box office returns. Furthermore, melodramas certainly were more popular with a significant demographic of moviegoers back then while Cagney had serious competition from Bogart, Robinson and Raft in most of his genre films.

Thirdly, I salute Bette for her AFI award, but Cagney was the first actor/actress to receive the lifetime award! He also, received the Kennedy Center Award.

In closing, I'm not diminishing Bette Davis as a film star, but I don't agree that she was a "Much bigger" star than James Cagney or even Flynn for that matter. While we are arguing about which is star was bigger with some facts, but mostly with perception, I would think a company as savvy as Warner would have marketing data to support their release schedule.

Crawdaddy

Mike D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to second the suggestion for a Val Lewton box set of his RKO films. It should at least include...
  • Cat People
    I Walked With a Zombie
    The Seventh Victim
    Curse of the Cat People
    The Body Snatcher
Although I haven't seen many of these, a second box should be issued with...
  • The Leopard Man
    The Ghost Ship
    Isle of the Dead
    Bedlam

Etc.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
During the last Warner chat, I asked about the works of director George Cukor, and they had mentioned they had a box set in the works for a fall release. Since nothing's been made of it since, I can't imagine we're getting it this year, but I really would love for it to come sooner vs. later. That's a preorder.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I would also love to see Raintree County, but when I inquired about it at the last Warner HTF chat, they said it required to much restoration and wasn't planned for a release in the next couple of years. Which I think is a shame.

If you want to talk about bankable stars, Elizabeth is your girl. She was the top star at the box office from the mid-50's to the early 60's.'

Andy

walter o

Supporting Actor
There is no way these will ever come out, as some werent even released on vHS here in America, but...

NO BLADE OF GRASS
ZIGZAG
BLACK BELLY OF TARANTURA
RABBIT, RUN
GREEN PASTURE
THE SPLIT
SWEET HOSTAGE
MAN CALLED DAGGER
BELIEVE IN ME
VILLAIN
DONT BE AFRAID OF DARK
LOVE AND MONEY
CHANDLER
LAST RUN
NOTHING LASTS FOREVER
WHO'S LIFE IS IT ANYWAY
SOL MADRID
THEY CAME TO ROB VEGAS
THE PHYNX
WELCOME TO ARROW BEACH
MIRACLES STILL HAPPEN
LAST OF MOBILE HOT SHOTS
ENDANGERED SPECIES
NETUNES DAUGHTER
JUPITERS DARLING
YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE
ON A ISLAND WITH YOU
GLASS BOTTOM BOAT
THE COMEDIANS
BYE BYE BRAVERMAN
NIGHT OF THE JUGGLAR
GO TELL THE SPARTANS
BREWSTER MCCLOUD
THEY ONLY KILL THEIR MASTERS
SLITHER

walter o

Supporting Actor
I remember during the 2003 Warner session (the one before the March one) that a Val Lewton set was said to be planned. But it wasn't brought up during the last chat. October would have been an ideal time to release it, too. Maybe next October?

That's the main problem with Warner- just too many titles. Perhaps its for the best that they didn't buy MGM.

Problem is, they control all MGM titles before `1986, thus letting all the great classics disappear into oblivion, as my concern is more and more people will forget them. I dont think mnay new dVD fans will know Esther Williams, Doris Day etc unless their titles comes out real soon on DVD. I am so glad I still have and cherish many of them that came out on LD and VHS from MGM.

Charles H

Screenwriter
STORM WARNING
THE STORY OF MANKIND
WHERE'S CHARLEY?
THE BIG SHOT (Bogart)
WE ARE NOT ALONE
THEY WON'T FORGET
THE PORT OF SEVEN SEAS
TOVARICH
THE CONSTANT NYMPH
MISSION TO MOSCOW
BRIGHT LEAF
ENEMY OF THE STATE (Steve McQueen)
SOLDIER IN THE RAIN
ROOM FOR ONE MORE
CRISIS
FOUR'S A CROWD
IT'S LOVE I'M AFTER
PRINCESS O'ROURKE
CARBINE WILLIAMS
ESCAPE (1940)
WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD
A CRY IN THE NIGHT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks