What's new

Missing Musicals (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
WHERE'S CHARLEY? (Never on homevideo; Great Frank Loesser score)
The Carmen Miranda films in a boxed set (THE GANG'S ALL HERE, THAT NIGHT IN RIO, WEEKEND IN HAVANA, DOLL FACE, IF I'M LUCKY, DOWN ARGENTINE WAY, SOMETHING FOR THE BOYS, GREENWICH VILLAGE)--a natural for Fox.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Another vote for The Bandwagon.

Also want Footlight Parade and a Golddiggers set.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
We already know from the Warner chat that Band Wagon is on the way as is a Busby Berkley set. I wonder if that will include 42nd street again.
Again, I still don't see all the problems with the Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals. They weren't don anamorphic cuz they were done for Laserdisc. the fox folks and THX folks spent tons of time to do oklahoma and South Pacific which had major problems.
Parts of Pacific were so troublesome tht THX had to transfer from the color seps- one sep laid on video on top of another -i.e. just like Warners ultra resolution process!!
To me, King and I never looked better.
Carousel I don't think will ever please anyone because the film itself was shot ugly.
It was planned to be the first all on location musical. Phoebe and Henry Ephron, the producers, had the photographer, Charles Clarke, shoot everything dark and moody on location - look at the first dialogue scene after the Carousel Waltz. The fall rains set in and the company was called bback to Hollywood.
This dark, moody location footage was shown to top Fox executives who were dismayyed by what they saw. Posters and ads were already running proclaimng CinemaScope 55 which brighter, sharper, clearer. they wanted the film reshot,bright sharp and clear.
The production was running out of money and shortcuts were made- first by cutting things that had already been filmed on location. NO need to reshoot in Hollywood - just cut it. Gone were You're a Queer one Julie Jordan.
If I Loved you was rerecorded in a shorter version and rehot on very fake set with fake trees, pool, and tomake it worse - flat white light pored over the whole thing.
Things NOT done on location had to be finished - the Soliloquy was done at Foxs Zuma beach location.
The finale with Billy, presumably going up to heaven rear screened with anothe shot of zuma beach with the sun going down. thngs were now getting sloppy. IN new England, where the action takes place, the sun doesnn't wset in the ocean, it rises in the ocean. Oh well!!
I would love to see the original location footage, see the cut songs, the longer version of If I Loved You.
Also cut fromthe film is the song Blow High Blow Low. It's on the soundtrack album, but missing from both album and film is the following dance section that followed it.
I would love to see the uncut South Pacific which is missing about fourteen minutes of footage.
I've actualy held the negative of South Pacific in my hand and it is marked Third cutting.
The first cut was a 185 minute preview print.
The second cut was the 171 mnute todd ao roadshow.
The film was ot cut further for the non roadshow but was cut during the fourth week of roadshow. I've seen th ememos from Rodgers and Hammerstein suggesting cuts, all of which were made.
Against the wishes of director Joshua logan, the contiuity of the filom was changed only for North America.
On broadway, all the first scenes with Nellie and Emile come first (Twin sololoquies, Cockeyed Optimist, Some Enchanted evening) then the action goes to the seabees (Bloody Mary, There is NOthin like a Dame, Bali Hai).
When Fox took over distribution, the continuity was changed so the film starts with seabees scenes first, THEN goes to the nellie and Emile scenes.
However, the orignal continuity exists on the negatives marked Fourth cutting - foreingn.
Cut from the film is a reprise of Bali Hai sung by Ray Walston, another reprise of Bali Hai sung by John Kerr.
gone is the longer version of Gonna Wash that Man right oughta my hair - that didn't even make the first preview print. The scene where Joe cable walks through the forest to meet liat was cut in half.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
MUSICALS COMING ON DVD

FINIAN'S RAINBOW (late 2004 early 2005)
TOM SAWYER and HUCKLEBERRY FINN (the Sherman Brother's MGM musicals),
JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR (remastered special edition August 2004)
CINDERELLA (tv version with Julie Andrews 50's) late 2004 from Image
BROADWAY'S LOST TREASURES 2 (nominated musicals direct from the Tony Awards shows of the past) this fall
ALEXANDER'S RAGTIME BAND (Sept.7,2004)
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (film version, May 2005)
ALADDIN (Disney, Oct 5)
SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS (2 disc remastered special edition MGM/Warner October 12)
THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT 1,2,3 (October 12)separate or box set
LES MISERABLES IN CONCERT (Superbit Columbia, delayed twice now)
MARY POPPINS (2 disc special edition,remastered, finally 16x9, December 7, 2004)
AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (special edition-no release date yet)
THE BAND WAGON (2 disc special edition-no rel.date yet)
THE BELLS ARE RINGING (Mgm/Warner 2005)
BRIGADOON (special edition remastered 2005)
BUSBY BERKELY BOXED SET (no firm date yet)
HEY MR. PRODUCER (Huge broadway concert, no date)
IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER (Mgm/Warner, probably 2005)
LADY SINGS THE BLUES (Paramount, special edition, no date yet)

There are still many Fox musicals missing, one being Daddy Long Legs, and may I pray for a Hello Dolly special edition with a good soundtrack this time where the high end is reinstated? I think that the Rogers and Hammerstein musicals, each and every one, are top candidates for special editions, but Fox never seems to want to dig for extras for those, except King and I, and many of those extras from the laser boxed set were missing on the dvd.

Musicals I would like to see are THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE and FLOWER DRUM SONG from Universal. I think that Universal did a fantastic remastering job on SWEET CHARITY, THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE, BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS, so I have high hopes of FLOWER DRUM and PIRATES. I am anxious for LOST HORIZON because there are some good musical numbers in it, and I didn't find it all that awful, except for the first 25 minutes, the begining was way too long. I think OLIVER is in dire need of a dvd remaster. ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER would be nice, an enhanced HAPPIEST MILLIONAIRE (and NO thanks Disney for a full screen ONE AND ONLY GENUINE ORIGINAL FAMILY BAND. I wouldn't mind owning JUMBO, CAN CAN, DARLING LILI (yes!), STATE FAIR (remake) and JUPITER'S DARLING.

I got to see the JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR transfer that is being used for this month's special edition on HDNET the other day. They have really cleaned up the picture, though it was still not great, but a far cry from the previous dvd. Soundtrack is the same. (By the way also got to see MY FAIR LADY, 1776, THE MUSIC MAN and AUNTIE MAME on HDNET this weekend-WOW..gorgeous HD pictures, soundtracks were the same as the dvd except Auntie Mame, was now enhanced for stereo). HDNET is showing 4-5 classic musicals a month now. Coming on HDNET are UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN, XANADU, MAN OF LA MANCHA to name a few.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Here's some musicals that few people suggest: the Jeanette McDonald and Nelson Eddy operetta style films. Sure, they're not in fashion anymore, but I think they're kind of fun and Jeanette had a beautiful voice. I fear they're low on Warner's long list, alas.

About the Busby Berkeley set, will it include the material that was on the laserdisc that featured the highlights from his musical numbers. I haven't seen it, but a description I read sounded great. To be honest, that's all I'd like from these movies as the between numbers plots weren't very interesting.

I'd also like to see some of the Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland "let's put on a show" musicals. Ah, there sure are a lot of unreleased musicals out there.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Oliver could use a non-flipper version. It'll probably get a P&S "special anniversary edition," or a "bootiest edition." The current version is wildly overpriced.

Columbia is a disgrace. Even Disney remasters some of their titles properly. Go look at the threads about Annie, Gidget, and Castle Keep because there's nothing else I can say.

Disney definitely should have remastered Millionaire and Family Band; they remastered some of their other 60s and 70s films. I just don't get them.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Robert Seigal - the HDNET Auntie Mame you say is enhanced for stereo - what does that mean? the original film was four channel stereo in 1958 and Warners does not have it. Have they found it?

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Matthew, I agree, why not a remastered Happiest Millionaire? A word of advice on this title, the old ANCHOR BAY roadshow edition has no edge enhancement while the new one is so full of it it's awful. If you can get the old road-show edition, find it. It's split on 2 sides and judging by the picture, I think it's recorded at a high bit rate. The new Disney version I already sold. Thank God I didn't sell my Anchor Bay issue.

Weird how Disney put a commentary on FAMILY BAND and left it full screen. And where's the stereo soundtrack that my friend projectionist John says he ran for 2 months in Minneapolis in mag stereo?

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Joe, no, it was a sad event, as I sat to watch I was hoping for the true stereo tracks. They did some kind of enhancement. It's strange, there are parts that sound stereo, like bells and other things, but the music is mono and most everything else. It's definately been played with since the dvd for this high-def transfer, but it's not true stereo. I am pretty sure it's just another job of doing what other studios have done with such titles as Singing in the Rain,ect, enhancing the mono track. Sorry, I was just as disappointed :frowning:

But the picture, WOW, it's probably the best hi-def classic movie I have seen on the network. Looks like negative material to me.

TedD

Supporting Actor

MatthewA:

If they do this, we'll have another disaster like Millionaire. There is a reason that longer films need to use more than one one side of a DVD, and it's to reduce compression artifacts and increase image detail by reducing filtering of the high frequencies that give the image its detail.

A dual sided disc = 9.4 Gig total, while a dual layer single sided disc = 8.5 Gig total. Thats 900 Meg, easily the difference between a mediocre and an excellent DVD.
Just my $.02

Ted

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
While we're talking about Happiest Millionaire, I'll pass along what I am using as a display in case there's questions what I am using. I use the Sony VPL-11HT hd projector dislayed at 160" with a Sony dvd player, using the component output (progressive) directly to the projector. I do not use the line doubling, prefer the signal direct.

I find the difference between the Anchor Bay HAPPIEST MILLIONAIRE and the new Disney one to be night and day. Anchor Bay's is an incredible dvd pressing, while, as I stated before, I already sold the Disney. I also noticed the sound was much better on the Anchor Bay release, I am not sure why, but it seems both sound and picture are much more inferior on the Disney version. Sad, when this was Walt's last movie, not to have any extras or a really well-pressed disc. Also sad when Anchor Bay can release a better looking movie than Disney does, the same film!

I also noticed that when I use the ZOOM feature on my Sony Projector, used to make non-enhanced 16x9 movies fit the screen, the Anchor Bay version looks awesome, while the Disney is so bad I watched 10 minutes and never viewed the rest. Full of artifacts, there was just no comparison. I've seen the old version (Anchor Bay) on EBAY often, usually it's the full-screen but sometimes you can get the road-show one. I highly recommend it instead of the new Disney release.

Thanks Disney for another $15 down the tubes. Luckily, I got 10.00 back by selling it.

TedD

Supporting Actor
Robert, I am also using FP with a Sharp XV-Z12000 DLP projector driven by an HTPC. In my case, the zoomed in AB release would be 5' x 8'9" (1.75:1). I sit about 15' from the 5' x 13' constant height screen.

I'll second the "awesome" on the AB release.

I took the Disney version to my 27" TV in the LR and played it with a Panasonic DVD player hooked via S-Video.

The normal NTSC interlace flicker obscured much of the EE, but it was still visibly poorer than the AB release.

Ted

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator
I've been waiting for Damn Yankees as well. Greg I hope you are right about a 2005 release. I would also like to see Finian's Rainbow and Bell's Are Ringing. Also add to the list a release of Evita that compares to the Criterion Laser Disc version that I have heard so much about.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Ted I agree about the dismal picture quality of the non Anamorphic Rodgers and Hammerstein Fox Widescreen Musicals.

I have them all, but sadly refuse to play any of them because they look so godamm awful.
Carousel's clambake section is downright ugly. (skin tones are way off)

If they were originally done non Anamorphic especially for Laserdisc, then all the more reason that they need to be done again for DVD in Anamorphic Widescreen.

Both versions of Anchor Bay's Millionaire are by far the the best looking non Anamorphic DVDs in my collection.
They are beautiful, sharp as a tack and display Technicolor in all of its glory most acurately.

As for my wants?
Musicals, Musicals, Musicals.

Bring them on.

TedD

Supporting Actor
And SouPac's beach section of "I Want To Wash That Man..." looks like it came from a 16mm print. NO detail, abysmal EE.

Fox HAS to address these musicals if they ever expect to sell them in the upcoming HD DVD or HD television worlds.

Ted

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Hey Mark, nice to see another Pirates of Penzance lover. I think it's the best musical made since Fiddler on the Roof, maybe including Chicago. It's too bad it's never been released in widescreen, because this movie suffers from pan and scan. There was a remastering job done for the video VHS version 5 years ago, and while it's still pan and scan, they tinkered with the soundtrack and ruined it. On the original soundtrack, the dialogue was panned, wherever the cast was, that's where you would hear them. Now, they moved the dialogue to the center, I suppose to go better with the pan and scan image. SHAMEFUL happenings.

I've written Universal every couple of months, and had my friends do the same. I've done this for 2 years. It seems Universal releases what they want when they want. Maybe if they had done Pirates on dvd, we would have not gotten the 5th version of American Pie. Boy what a disaster that would have been,huh? Geeeeeeez. :angry:

Anyone who wants to see this film on dvd, go to Universal studios site and click contact, and let them know we want this movie, and FLOWER DRUM SONG as well.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Yes there is a list of musicals coming to dvd, on the previous page of posts, I listed all of the musicals coming out for the rest of this year and some for next year, which have been announced in some way. Warner leads the pack with some great Warner and MGM musicals, I am sure due to the fact that George Feltenstein has some control. Unfortunately, the other studios seem to do little within this catagory. What a shame, because there are some great musicals still unavailable, and some that definately need remastering!

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I would add "Yentl" to the AWOL list, along with three guilty pleasures:

1. "At Long Last Love" (which I don't think has ever been released on any video format).

2. "Mame"

3. "A Star Is Born" (1976).

TedD

Supporting Actor
Definitely agree with THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE.

I have the P&S Laser Disc and would but an anamorphic OAR DVD of this title in a heartbeat. (Original directional dialogue, please.)

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks