Missed oppurtunities..popular movies that never made it to DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Louis Letizia, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    It also played a great deal at Fox Movie Channel over the last holiday season. It was a 4:3 transfer, but it was the rejiggered film with the musical numbers put back in that had been cut for theatrical release. The first two songs in the movie on cable I had never seen before.

3. Erik_H

Erik_H Stunt Coordinator

"At Long Last Love" was a Fox release. MGM HD shows MGM or UA releases. I check out the offerings on that channel regularly, and I don't recall seeing "At Long Last Love." If the condition of the transfer used for Netflix was any indication, "At Long Last Love" is not ready for distribution in HD yet. That could change, though. Within the last year, Peter Bogdonavich was interviewed about the film and mentioned a possible home video release.

4. Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia Supporting Actor

AT LONG LAST LOVE needs a good restoration. Hopefully we will get a delude version of this very misinterpreted film. Sadly the amazing Madeline Mayne and the underrated Duilio Del Pretend are no longer with us...they added a lot to the quartet.

5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    They were my favorites of the four stars. John Hillerman and Eileen Brennan, of course, stole the show whenever they were on screen.

6. Louis Letizia

Yes.....Hillerman and Brennan were great

7. michael deakin

michael deakin Stunt Coordinator

Michael Charles Deakin
    Hawks. Starring Timothy Dalton , Anthony Edwards.
    Great film and great soundtrack by Barry Gibb.

8. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    Hawks (1988) is one of those films I've been meaning to see, which has been shown on TV every few years and I've never seen it, despite being a fan of Timothy Dalton's Bond. Think it may have been filmed between The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill, although I'm not sure. Didn't know Barry Gibb did the soundtrack.

9. donidarko

donidarko Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the update Louis. You certainly know your stuff!!! I forgot to mention good ole' 'LITTLE DARLINGS" and "HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEMINI" (loved Madeline Kahn and Rita Moreno in that one.)
    and are we really going to see a "TWILIGHTS LAST GLEAMING"?

10. DevinTretiak

DevinTretiak Auditioning

Willard / Ben - Have no idea why Paramount has not released these two films. There was a remake with Crispin Glover that was made a few years back. Ben has the big Michael Jackson song on the soundtrack. You think these would have it to DVD.
    Love with the Proper Stranger - Great Robert Mulligan film. Has high profile cast with Steve McQueen and Natalie Wood. Another Paramount title that baffles me as to why it's never been released.

11. Louis Letizia

Maybe the song rights havr something to do with it. Rxcept for the WALKING TALL trilogy...thete arr no Bing Crosby Produ tions films on dis . Anxiously awaiting THE REINCARNATION OF PETER PROUD and MEAN DOG BLUES.
    So true about PROPER STRANGER...so ahead of iys time and Natslie Wood got and Oscar nod

12. atcolomb

atcolomb Second Unit

Angelo
    Purchased King of the Hill from Amazon.uk but is in a region 2 PAL dvd but if you have a all region dvd player the print used in the dvd is very good and better than the laserdisc release which i also have.

13. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Is it anamorphic?

14. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    I know these aren't necessarily popular titles, but Timothy Carey was a well known character actor in many popular movies. Now, we need more Tim Carey oddities (aren't they all, though?), especially BAYOU (aka POOR WHITE TRASH). Word is Romeo Carey might finally be putting together an official release for THE WORLD'S GREATEST SINNER too. Prepare to have your minds blown:

15. atcolomb

atcolomb Second Unit

Angelo
    Yes it is....very good print of the film. Saw it a few months ago...

16. atcolomb

atcolomb Second Unit

Angelo
    Here is my list of missing movies:
    1) Napoleon (1927) Abel Gance
    2) The 4 Clowns (1970) Robert Youngson
    3) The Crazy Quilt (1966) John Korty
    4) Let It Be (1970) Michael Lindsay-Hogg ....many bootleg dvd's for sale.
    5) Chimes At Midnight (1966) Orson Welles ...in a region 1 release.
    6) The Immortal Story (1968) Orson Welles ...in a region 1 release.
    7) Uforia (1980) John Binder

17. atcolomb

atcolomb Second Unit

Angelo
    Here is my list of missing movies:
    1) Napoleon (1927) Abel Gance
    2) The 4 Clowns (1970) Robert Youngson
    3) The Crazy Quilt (1966) John Korty
    4) Let It Be (1970) Michael Lindsay-Hogg ....many bootleg dvd's for sale.
    5) Chimes At Midnight (1966) Orson Welles ...in a region 1 release.
    6) The Immortal Story (1968) Orson Welles ...in a region 1 release.
    7) Uforia (1980) John Binder

18. Louis Letizia

Excellent list. I dug out my Magnetic LET IT BE tape just yesterday...after watching the YELLOW SUBMARINE Blu(meany!).It was the original behind the scenes realiry show...it needs a bigger audience

19. atcolomb

atcolomb Second Unit

Angelo
    Here is a article on Let It Be i found on a website which is interesting...
    The film was released on VHS video, RCA SelectaVision videodisc and laserdisc in the early 1980s, but became out of print within a few years. The transfer to video was not considered high quality; in particular, the already-cropped theatrical version was again cropped to a 4:3 aspect ratio for television (see pan and scan). The lack of availability has prompted considerable bootlegging of the film, first on VHS and later on DVD, derived from copies of the early 1980s releases.
    The movie was remastered from the original 16 mm film negative by Apple in 1992, with a few of those scenes used in The Beatles Anthology documentary. After additional remastering, a DVD release was planned to accompany the 2003 release of Let It Be... Naked, including a second DVD of bonus material,[17] but it never materialised. In February 2007, Apple Corps' Neil Aspinall said, "The film was so controversial when it first came out. When we got halfway through restoring it, we looked at the outtakes and realised: this stuff is still controversial. It raised a lot of old issues."[1]
    An anonymous industry source told the Daily Express in July 2008 that, according to Apple insiders, McCartney and Starr blocked the release of the film on DVD. The two were concerned about the effect on the band's "global brand ... if the public sees the darker side of the story. Neither Paul nor Ringo would feel comfortable publicising a film showing The Beatles getting on each other's nerves ... There’s all sorts of extra footage showing more squabbles but it’s unlikely it will ever see the light of day in Paul and Ringo’s lifetime.”

20. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

The Mr. Bongo (R2) version of CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT is commendable.