What's new

mirage frx5 vs frx7 etc (1 Viewer)

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
My wonderful wife is about to have santa upgrade my speakers. I have taken both the tannoy mx3 and mirage frx5 home to sample. I have given a slight edge to the mirage for the extra base i need(don't have a sub). She has asked me since wether i would like the frx 5 or 7. i know the 7 is a three way speaker and sound slightly tighter than the 5. What would you reccomend? I have a sony str-de835(which i am planning to upgrade) a/v receiver, Direct tv with ac3, and a sony kv-355v65 monitor.

Secondly, the helpful sales rep at the store i am shoppping is reccomending a 6 channell upgrade for receiver. I will eventually get a dvd and will need the additional input/outputs my sony lacks. Probably loooking to spend $500-700.

Thanks

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i have the frx-7 and i really enjoy them. they have a decently wide soundstage and have good bass extension. of course for those low lows you will need a sub, but they give good impact to kick drums and are no slouch. i haven't listend to the frx-5 much so i can't give an honest comparison between the two. at that price point, i think the frx-7 are top notch. of course, there are other speakers to listen to as well. this board is very very paradigm-centric so someone will come along here soon and suggest the monitor 7/9 and or the reference 40/60.

kevin t

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
thanks for your opinion. I will eventually get a sub, but that will be a new hunt!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks