What's new

Miracle Mile coming to DVD in fullscreen only! (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
:frowning:

According to DVDFile, the 6/3 release of Miracle Mile (1989) will be fullscreen only. Must we go through this again? Come on, MGM!

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
Just came across this tidbit over at DVDFile as well, Steve. WTF!?!?! Miracle Mile is one of many films that I've been anxiously awaiting to be announced for DVD release. It's finally announced and it's fullscreen only! UNF******Believable is all I can say. This is a film that has large cult appeal. Cult appeal = cult audience = film buffs = widescreen advocates. What's the problem here, MGM. Is this so difficult to understand? I haven't gotten too excited about some of the more recent pan & scan battles because I didn't care too much about the particular titles. They're finally screwing one up that I do care about...had to happen sooner or later...damn shame that it had to be Miracle Mile.

It's always a bad decision not to release OAR, but on a title like Miracle Mile is makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. What a terrible decision!

Evidently MGM has the fans on the "pay no mind list"!

JON

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I've just sent MGM a polite email asking them to reconsider, or at least including both versions of the film on the disc.

-paul

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
This is one of my all-time favorite lesser-known films, and I really hope that MGM doesn't blow it. I know it's an HBO film, but I could find no OAR info. The tape is fullscreen (I have a former rental copy). Anyone here have the laserdisc?

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
The laserdisc from Hemdale/Image is full-frame as well.

I am beyond angry about this. My only consolation might be that MGM -- seeing that this is a Hemdale film -- might not have been able to gain access to the original source materials. They've been good about OAR (as opposed to say, Disney, who have no excuse), but as their library is full of titles to which they've only recently gained the rights, this might be the deal.

Either way, however, it really frustrates me. I saw this in the theater (was one of two people seeing this at an afternoon show in Toledo!) in 1989 and remember it being 1.85:1. At least it was projected that way.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Everyone go to their website and send them email.
It very well may be that they only have access to the p/s source material but it's still worth letting them know how you feel. These things *can* and *do* make a difference...even if it's a DVD that my finally come out right several years down the road.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I am beyond angry about this. My only consolation might be that MGM -- seeing that this is a Hemdale film -- might not have been able to gain access to the original source materials. They've been good about OAR (as opposed to say, Disney, who have no excuse), but as their library is full of titles to which they've only recently gained the rights, this might be the deal.
I think that may be the case. With some titles, they are just given certain elements to work with and with this film, they may not have had a widescreen print to work from.

Matthew Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I bumped up a previous thread concerning MGM releasing "full frame" only releases in the Studio/Manufacturer forum because of this and The Missionary (with Michael Palin) releases. I suppose it was only a matter of time before the more obscure films I'm primarily interesed in would suffer the "full frame" fate (I can't not put quote marks around that term. I know, I'm becoming more elitist every day).

Miracle Mile had a huge effect on me, both in the film's subject matter and the techniques used by writer/director Steve DeJarnatt. I won't be picking it up as it's been announced, however.

Paul D G

Screenwriter

Fully agree with the posters statement that it has to be seen blind to be fully appreciated. That's how I saw it: bored on a day off, read the first few lines of a review which mentioned a bunch of people sitting in a diner when the phone rings. I stopped there and went to the next showing. Only person in the theatre and I was rivited the entire time.

Whenever I've lent out the tape to friends that's all I ever told them about it too.

-paul

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Miracle Mile had a huge effect on me, both in the film's subject matter and the techniques used by writer/director Steve DeJarnatt. I won't be picking it up as it's been announced, however.
Why not? If you love the film, and it is so low priced, why not buy it? It isn't likely to be rereleased and, like the VHS, will go out of print. Isn't a full frame DVD better than the VHS?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well Matthew is just adhering to his principles (and our mission statement) regarding OAR releases. He may feel (as I do) that contributing money to a non-OAR release akin to supporting such releases. We'd rather send a message that we as consumers will not buy discs released in non-OAR.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Well Matthew is just adhering to his principles (and our mission statement) regarding OAR releases. He may feel (as I do) that contributing money to a non-OAR release akin to supporting such releases. We'd rather send a message that we as consumers will not buy discs released in non-OAR.
Ok, but do you also refuse to watch it on TV or on VHS? For the majority of people who have seen and loved MIRACLE MILE, that is the only way they have seen it. It barely played theatrically. Isn't a full screen DVD better than VHS?

The basic thing is, this isn't a big film and this is likely to be its only release. If you don't buy it, unless you start a petition or something, the studio will just think there isn't any interest in the title and forget it.

I'm all for widescreen releases, don't know why anyone would buy a full screen if given a choice. But, if a title is released on DVD in full screen only and it is a title that I really want, I'll buy it. I don't think studios look as lack of sales as a protest of the way it was released.

I went out today and picked up a whole bunch of the Platinum Disc DVDs, the budget titles that Best Buy and Circuit City carry. They were all full frame, but they are also very obscure films that may never get a DVD release again. And, they are surely better than the old VHS tapes that I have of the same titles.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I already have it on laserdisc. Why should I bother buying another copy if it's still flawed?
Also no matter WHAT movie it is, if it's been altered I DON'T buy it- I don't want to show that it's OK to do this.

Matthew Watson

Stunt Coordinator
It's a dilemma, isn't it? If I refuse to buy it (which I do - the format and the vast majority of its customers should be mature enough for all films to be available in their OAR), MGM will assume I'm not a fan of the film and never think to revisit or reissue it. If I broke down and bought it, MGM will assume I approve of the format provided for said film and will never think to revisit or reissue it.

Which is why I publicly made my opinions regarding Miracle Mile's upcoming release known in a forum dedicated to the preservation and proper presentation of films.

Watching Miralce Mile on tv if I stumble across it on cable vs me purchasing it for my collection/library is night and day, actually.

I don't mean to be so hard-nosed about this. It's just the way I feel.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That's the thing, though, I actually don't watch movies on TV. It's gotten to the point that on some films (particularly 2.35 ones) that I can tell when the composition is cropped and it really, really bothers me.

True, to just not buy in and of itself may not do anything. If you feel strongly enough to send a letter or petition it is more effective. But buying the non-OAR product implicitly supports the product. The studios may think, hey this thing sells whether it's OAR or not!

As far as your question:
Isn't a full frame DVD better than the VHS?
The answer to this, for me, is a resounding no! You can excuse the P&S VHS because that was the standard in that format. With DVD OAR is the standard. If you're talking about "lines of resolution" and "5.1 digital sound" sure you can say the DVD is better than VHS - technically. But when you purposefully take two steps backwards and release a P&S only DVD, in my opinion that is worse than VHS! I owned a copy of Ace Ventura on VHS, and have not bought the P&S DVD (same with Happy Gilmore). I have written two letter to Universal and Warner, as well as participated in the threads here at HTF regarding the release of those movies in OAR. I feel I've done my part, and even if those two movies never get an OAR DVD release, I still won't buy the P&S versions. It's the principle of the thing that keeps me from buying any non-OAR product.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Isn't a full frame DVD better than the VHS?
Nope.

A full frame only DVD serves no purpose whatsoever, other than perhaps being a convenient coaster upon which you might set down a refreshing beverage. :D

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Rain:

Don't forget the ability to blow the disc up in the microwave!

One of the few useful things my first year college roommate ever did. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks