What's new

Minor problem with my new used Mac (1 Viewer)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
On a few of the websites that I've visited my Mac refuses to acknowledge my clicking on a certain link. When I tried to leave a comment on a friend's blog, use the click here to see the messages that have been posted in response to you since your last visit link on another site, and leave a comment about a video at YouTube the computer responds as though I'm not clicking the left mouse button. The mouse has worked on hundreds of links at dozens of sites, but those three in particular won't cooperate. Any suggestions?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Safari 1.1 v100
The computer came prepackaged with safari and internet explorer but I always use safari because ie is so slow. I'll go back to one of the sites and try it with ie to see what happens.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Your problem could be that the current version of Safari is version 2.0.4, 1.1 is horribly out of date. Are you running Tiger (10.4.8)?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'm running Panther, what version I don't know. I updated to a newer version of Safari and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks to Google I just found out that ie doesn't make a Mac compatible browser any more. As a substitute I'll download Firefox to see how it compares with Safari.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Might want to download Firefox while you're at it. It is going to be more up to date than either IE or Safari under Panther. One other note...there were significant improvements in Javascript handling when Tiger (10.4) was released. Some web pages that may not open or render properly in Panther may work just fine in Tiger. In fact, there were such a slew of improvements under Tiger that I'd highly recommend an upgrade. You can probably pick up a copy on the cheap on eBay.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Firefox is the browser to use. Safari used to be OK, but has kind of been left behind and is sort of twitchy at times.

BTW, do you ever do "Software Update" under the apple menu? You should, regularly.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, regarding 10.4, at this point you might just wait for 10.5 to upgrade, or find someone who has 10.4 to use in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks