What's new

Minor computer problem (1 Viewer)

Luc D

Second Unit
I just added a second hard drive to my computer and a small problem has occured. My old drive is called C and the new one D. Now my CD rom used to be D and now has been changed to E and CD Writer to F (and so on). Anyway, now when I try to access a CD rom it asks to insert it to the D drive. And so this is the problem. The only way I can think of fixing this is by changing the name of the D (my new hard disk) drive to something else, but you can't do that in the System Device Manager the way you can with a CD rom for some reason.

Has anyone ever come accross this frustrating little problem or have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
This is to do with the way that Windows assigns drive letters. Hard drives get priority.

Depending on which version of the OS you have, you can control drive letters to a greater or lesser degree. In Windows 2000 you can assign them to any letter. In 9x I used to move the CD to a distant letter so that when I added or partitioned my hard drives the CDROM didn't get moved.

Luc D

Second Unit
I'm on 98SE (I've been meaning to upgrade). But I've been asking around and no one seems to have clear solution. I suppose I could run the program in question with a no cd crack, but that's only a way around the problem.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I've never heard of that before. I would probably mess around with the cables. Do you have both HDs on one I cable and both CD drives on the other I cable? BTW, what OS do you have?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming that you're talking about playing games here, and the easiest solution is to reinstall the game. If you have to remove the old game first, some games have the option of keeping all of your settings and saves, so it won't be that bad.

Glenn

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
You wont be able to change the letters of the hard drives if you're running Windows 98.

Reinstalling the games would be the most simple solution, but if for some reason you can't do that, then Norton Utilities is able to make the necessary changes to your games/applications so that they look for their files in the correct place. I think it makes changes to the registry settings so that what was once on D: is looked for on E: etc etc.

Luc D

Second Unit
Thanks for the input everybody, I re-installed the programs. Not much else I could do.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
I long ago started the practice of labelling my CD-ROM and CD-RW drives Y: and Z:, thereby eliminating that problem...

Kevin P

Screenwriter
If the CD drive used to be D:, try searching the registry for D:. If you see references to the CD-ROM as the D drive, particularly in a registry entry related to the game in question, change it to the new drive letter. Make sure to write down any changes you make so you can back them out if you mess something up though, or better yet, make a backup of your registry before messing with it.

KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks