What's new

Minor carpet repair? (1 Viewer)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I have a section of carpet that has two spots (smaller than a penny) that melted due to a fireplace missile (love that fireplace!). Are there any processes to clean or obscure it? Unfortunately, it's pretty high traffic, so I can't just cut a section out. I have it covered with a rug now, but would like if it was hard to see. I've even thought about painting it (off white carpet), as it just has a darker color and is now shorter.
Thanks

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
We also had an incident in our HT with our dog, and since the carpet the builder put in is dirt cheap, the cleaning agent stained the carpet. Lifted the dog poop right up but turned the carpet green. This was just a few months after moving into a brand new house with light (almost white) carpet.
We paid someone $50 to cut that section out and replace it with a new section. He did a damn good job! Looks great. For the first month or two you could see the seam if you looked for it, but now, you have to get on your hands and knees and comb through the carpet to find it.
I posted about it here and someone else suggested a custom carpet scheme. You can have beautiful logos, decorations, etc custom made out of carpet. If you've never seen anything like this, you might want to look into it.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Janna S

Second Unit
A carpet repair person can possibly fix spots that size without cutting or replacing the pieces. They essentially reweave the spots, using threads of the carpet taken from some obscure place (a corner, a closet, etc.) I remember we had that done once when I was young when we left Christmas tree lights (the older indoor bulb kind, not the little new kind) laying on the carpet too long. The repairwoman "re-wove" just those dozen or so spots using something that looked just like a buttonhook. I suppose it might not work if the pile is too short or it's a loop-weave. But check into it.
[Edited last by Janna S on November 09, 2001 at 05:00 PM]
[Edited last by Janna S on November 09, 2001 at 05:00 PM]

ace peterson

Second Unit
I was thinking something alongs the lines of what Janna was saying. But, I was thinking cut some of those melted fibers out with a utility knife and then super glue some good fibers back in. And like Janna said, take them from an obscure location. I'm not sure super glue would keep it in place or not, but that was my initial solution.

Sam C

Stunt Coordinator
To make the repair is simple ... All it takes is a sharp razor knife, carpet tape, and nerve ... If the spot is that small you probably could pull some from under the couch or somewhere ...
------------------
"I will drop-kick those f#$%ing dogs if they come near me."
Frank T.J. Mackey ... Magnolia

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks