What's new

Minimum connections to get amplifier power? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
What is needed to get an amplifier power (i.e. the green power LED to go on). I have a used JL 300/4 but having problems getting the amp to turn on. I think I may have a faulty fuse and/or fuse holder but I seem to be getting 12v on the trigger. Does the main 12v connector, hooked to the battery through the fuse have to be good to simply get the amplifier to turn on or if I removed every connector except the 12v DC trigger and perhaps the ground, would the amp turn on?

Just trying to isolate a problem...

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Fixed it! It was definitely a bad fuse... I guess my 3ft drop of the fuse might have killed it, but I bought a replacement and now the amp turns on and I get sound, wonderous sound!

So far, it has taken me about 3.5 8 hour days for this project from start to now. I still have to run wire to the passenger door. How on earth do the pros do this stuff in a day on cars they are not familiar with is beyond me!

Jay

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the laugh Jay. It's always fun when you learn that it's the simplest thing that goes wrong.

Brent

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I suspected the fuse, but didn't have a spare one. I bought 2 fuses yesterday just in case.

Now I can start cleaning things up while waiting for my speaker cable to arrive. I can vacuum up the driver side floor area and reinstall the seat, then I can glue my tweeter down to the door panel and reinstall the door panel.

Jay

brentl

Senior HTF Member
When I installed an amp and crossover under my seat I saw the same wires that you saw. I wouldn't have minded unhooking those if that was all I found, but it wasn't. On the inside of each seat has a warning label attached to a little canister that read something like "warning contains explosives"

I chose not to remove the seat!

Brent

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Wow, you have an ejector seat! Cool.

My amp wouldn't fit under the seat, but I guess if you have like a Class A amp, you could also advertise you car as having heated seats.. What my car has going for it is the mid-engined design, I simply cut a hole in the firewall and ran about 2 feet of power wire to the battery even though it appears I got about 10feet of 4 gauge power wire.

I can also wire rear speakers if I wish now that I know the radio's wiring and how to run wire to the back of the car. But one step at a time.. My next project is probably going to be a sub and/or an MP3 headunit.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks