What's new

minijack to toslink? (1 Viewer)

Danklin26

Agent
Real Name
Noel
My apologies if this is the wrong forum for this.

Does anyone know of a way to convert a regular headphone style plug to toslink? Im interested in pluggin in my mp3 player into the front optical connection on a yamaha receiver. This is a non ipod player so using the dock with the connection on the back of the receiver isnt possible. Am i stuck just using analog audio? Thanks.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
TOSLINK is a digital connection, so I don't think you're going to find a simple digital to analog converter.

I don't understand you're statement about not being able to use the connection on the back of the receiver. A simple headphone to RCA stereo cable should allow you to connect to an aux-in on your receiver.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Since the Device you have your Mp3's are stored on outputs analog, changing it to digital via a analog to digital converter isn't going to help you at all. You are better off just staying with the analog connection as the device is outputs.

You must have your mp3's stored on your computer, Why not get a D-link media player? Then everything would be onscreen? Even your picutures, videos, and your mp3's...

D-link Media server link

Danklin26

Agent
Real Name
Noel

Yeah i can use a standard mini-jack to rca connections. I was just saying i can not use the multi pin connector for an ipod dock on the back of the receiver as i do not use an ipod therefore it will not go in the ipod dock thats sold as an accessory. I guess i was looking for a simple solution to turn the analog output back into digital.

homthtr, i thought mp3's were stored digitally then coverted to analog? Wouldn't this be the same concept of connecting a toslink to a standalone cd player to output a digital signal to a receiver? Sorry if i seem a bit ignorant about this.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
The d-link server would transfer you mp3's over the network either wired or wireless. The Media Server has a Digital output. It would replace your cd player as you have already converted (ripped) your cd's to mp3. Really cool part is you can see all your songs, photos' and videos stored on you computer and play them on you surround system. Pulls up all your music etc into menus all on screen. That's less then the cost to convert your analog back to digital simply to get a digital signal from you analog headphone out on you mp3 device. Through the media server your music would stay digital and outputed via optical (toslink) and/or it aslo has a Coax digital output.

It's the way to go!.. plus you can stream anything over the internet such as internet radio etc.. all through the media server.:)

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks