What's new

Mini-Review: Yamaha HTR-5760 Receiver (1 Viewer)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

There are differences between the 5760 and 5790. However, for most people, it may not be a big deal. But, if you want that extra few watts of power, "true" Zone 2 capability, separate power cord and the 12V trigger, then spend the extra $190 for the HTR-5790.

I'm still of the belief that the HTR-5760 is very capable and not all that limited when it compares to the 5790. The 5760 still has more "features" than the lower-end models (5740 & 5750).

Personally, I'd save the $190 and put it towards better speakers - rather than back into a receiver if you are in the market for both a receiver and speakers at the moment.

[Edit]: I also forgot to mention that the HTR-5790 includes component video up-conversion. The 5760 will only "up-convert" to S-Video.

Brian Zamen

Agent
yeah the upconversion thing was something the 2400 and even the 1400 did (to component that is)

that is actually a very nice feature that would allow me to only run one cable to the projector

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
How about more detail on the YPAO?

Does it just balance out SPL all around? Or does it do a parementric EQ adjustment across several bands? (like the 1400/2400)

I was under the impression it was the former. (like Pioneer 912/914) I've been holding out for the Pioneer 1014 as it will offer 5 band EQ MCCAC with all the features of the 5790. (it seems to cross the bridge to the Elite line.) Comes out in August at a msrp of $700......

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

John, I can't find the parametric EQ settings under YPAO. So, it's not like the 1400/2400 models, but rather, just a method for setting up the speaker levels, etc.

With this being the case, I think Yamaha should not be able to call it YPAO -- since the "P" refers to parametric. Also, I do have the .PDF version of the manual which I've searched high and low for a reference to the EQ and it's not listed in the manual. The center channel, however, does have an EQ, but it's not a parametric EQ.

I guess if I get a few free minutes, I could contact Yamaha for more information on this.

Don't get me wrong, I still love this receiver and am very impressed with it. However, if Yamaha is mis-represening YPAO, then I think they need to come clean on this.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Etailelectronics.com just got the 5760 back in stock @ 349.95! I just placed my order (only $20.00 shipping - very fair).

I should have it by this weekend. I'm replacing an old Sony STR-DE835, so this should be a real treat with my new Axioms. :)

Thanks for the great tip on the price and the store! :emoji_thumbsup:

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I should point out with further "playing" with the HTR-5760, I've found out that Yamaha has essentially only implemented YPAO "Light" on this receiver and not the full-flavored YPAO with the 7-band Parametric EQ as found in the HTR-5790, RX-V1400 and RX-V2400 models.

I've made contact with Yamaha tech support via E-mail and sent them the following note:

Don't get me wrong, folks. The HTR-5760 is a *very fine sounding* receiver. My "beef" with Yamaha is how they are mis-representing the receiver in the literature. Clearly, the HTR-5760 implements a method of checking your wiring, checking the phase of the speakers, the distances and the levels. However, it does not check the sound quality and make the adjustments via the parametric EQ, since a parametric EQ is not present on this receiver. With that being the case, Yamaha should not be calling it YPAO for the HTR-5760.

I'll provide any updates in this thread regarding the response that Yamaha has provided me with.

chad k

Stunt Coordinator

jon, you will be happy, I just had the same upgrade, no eq on the front, and rears like the sony but the receivver just totally kicks A..

Chad K

Brian Zamen

Agent
That store has the 5790 for $540.00

I wonder if I should pick up one of those or is it more prudent to go to the 2400 series since I am willing to spend that much?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Brian, the only thing to be concerned about when purchasing the RX-V series of receivers is that you need to get them through an authrized retailer. Just finding a cheap price on an RX-V2400 on-line does not mean that Yamaha will honor the warranty.

The HTR-5790 on the other hand, will be covered since Yamaha is more relaxed in where they allow the HTR line to be sold.

Also, I did a bit more digging through the on-line manuals at the Yamaha Web site. I've been able to determine the following:

- HTR-5790: Implements YPAO and has the Parametric EQ feature like the RX-V1400/2400 receivers.

- HTR-5760, RX-V650 and RX-V750: All have YPAO, but don't have the parametric EQ like the RX-V1400/2400 receivers.

I at least thought the 750 would have the EQ, but was surprised after reading through the manual.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Wayne, Yamaha's website clearly says that all of their products must be purchased from an authorized reseller or else the warranty is void. See here. It says "The Yamaha Limited Warranty applies only to products purchased from our authorized dealers.". They do not distinguish between the HTR or RX-V series. Is there something about the HTR models I don't know?

This warranty issue is the reason I didn't buy my RX-V2400 from etronics.com and instead bought it from a local authorized store. I bargained the price down quite significantly and only paid about $100 CDN more than what I would've paid at etronics.com but at least now I have a warranty.

Brian, you can do as I did and bargain the price down at a local authorized retailer. The RX-V2400, excluding Yamaha's flagship receivers, is the top-of-the-line Yamaha receiver and you won't regret your purchase one bit. It offers a few things the RX-V1400 and HTR-5790 do not: more DSP modes (if you care to use them), RS-232 port, 10 watts more per channel (as if this would make any diff), much better remote that learns and also does macros which are super handy (the 5790 and RX-V1400 remotes only learn and can't do macros).

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator

Me too...I was excited when I saw the 750 a few weeks ago..until I learned of the limited YPAO implementation. I was not aware of the new HTR receivers until this week, so the 5790 was a surprise. (though seeing as how it's basically a HTR version of the 1400...that makes sense.) So I guess I'm waiting until late summer when the Pioneer 1014K is out...and see how it reviews. Up front it looks good. (True MCCAC, Mosfet Amp section, etc..)

I you have a SPL meter, long patch cord into your PC soundcard, some free software, and test tones on a CD, you can do your own calibration across all the ranges you want. I just like the thought of it doing it for me! :D

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Update: A few days back, I received a response from Yamaha's support as a result of my questions regarding the limited YPAO on the 5760 and felt that they were trying to deceive us. Here is the response:

I'll be sure to provide any updates once Yamaha has responded back to my follow-up on their "half-baked" answer to my question.

Vic P

Agent
The omission of the "P" part of YPAO is unfortunate... but it didn't deter me from purchasing the 5760 anyway (mainly interested in the DPL2x, and as a preamp). I also knew of a lack of a "learning" remote, but it was disappointing nonetheless- I've had cheaper receivers that included such a convenience. The plus side is that it sounds good.

Speaking of DPL2x, are you running a 7.1 setup Wayne? I can't get DPL2x to work on 5.1 sources at all. If anyone can help me out in this regard, that would be much appreciated.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Vic, I did see your PM regarding this question. I have not been able to do this. I'm only running a 5.1 setup at this point. I would be interested in finding out what kind of "tricks" were suggested to you to try and lay DPL IIx down over a 5.1 source that you're listening to. I suspect this might not be a flaw, but more of a limitation. After all, DTS ES and Dolby EX processing takes care of this.

My appologies for not replying earlier to your PM. I was out trying to finalize my speaker auditions/purchase. Decided on a pair of RTi8 in cherry and the CSi3 - also in cherry by Polk. Granted, the speakers are still in the process of being broken in, but they really mate well with my HTR-5760 receiver.

Shiu

Second Unit
Wayne, I am also considering either the RTi8, or 10, to replace my RTi38 but decided to upgrade my PSW404 to a SVS first. Did you choose the RTi8 for better SQ, or because it costs less than the 10? According to some reviews I read, the 8 has better mid range but I find it hard to believe because the 10 has a dedicated mid driver while the 8 has two but both have to do bass as well. You have now owned the flag ship HK, the latest Yamaha and the old 4ES, how do you compare their SQs? In my upgrade path, it is the Sub first, then speakers, then 4ES/(Adcom for front) last.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Wayne, I am a satisfied Sony DA4ES owner who is very intrigued w/ the Yamaha 5790. I, too, am interested in how you would describe the differences in sound quality between the DA4ES and the Yamaha. I like the detailed, dynamic sound of the Sony w/ it's "Digital Studio Cinema" modes, but don't want to lose that sound w/ the Yamaha. I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.

Also, I'm glad your speaker purchase went well. Thanks for the link you showed me for the Athena AS-F2's. Although they are priced right, the shipping pushes them over the edge for me.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,

Truth be told, if I didn't have this "upgrade disease" I still would have owned my Sony STR-DA4ES. Actually, the only thing that I didn't care for with my 4ES was its lacking ability to power a 2nd zone of speakers. Granted, I could have achieved this via getting a separate powered amp to feed off from the 4ES and drive the 2nd zone, but I wanted to do it with one component. The Sony 4ES has to be one of the best receivers Sony has built in the last 5 or so years. Going from the 4ES to the H/K AVR-7200 was not a good move for me. Going from the AVR-7200 to the HTR-5760 was a great move because it put a lot of "life" back into what I listen to.

Since there was a gap of time between when I owned the 4ES and the HTR-5760, it's a little hard for me to describe the sounds. However, I do wish that I had kept the 4ES because I would have had a lot of $$ to fund my other upgrades with.

The only thing I would ever do Kevin, is to do a true "A/B" test in your home. Only buy the 5790 from a retailer that has a good return policy and compare the two side-by-side before you ever commit to selling your 4ES. Once you've finished the testing, you can then decide whether to keep the 5790 and sell the 4ES or keep the 4ES and return the 5790.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Max,

The best price on the HTR-5760 appears to be about $349. The link to the vendor is up further in this thread. The RX-V650 is essentially the same receiver, but is intended for different distribution channels and is usually sold at more higher-end audio shops vs. Best Buy like where the "HTR" series of receivers is sold.

However, don't buy the RX-V650 from an on-line vendor because I doubt if Yamaha will provide any warranty service should soemthing happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks