What's new

mind-numbingly simple question about extending speaker wires (1 Viewer)

Charlie D. M. A

Auditioning
Ack.. my speaker wires are short by about 2 feet. The ends are hardwired into the speakers in one end and are soldered at the other. The tips are hard in that it can't be bent, so i can't just twist on extension wires without it sliding off.

What should I do? Just use super glue/duct tape? What should I look for in an _2 feet_ extension speaker wire? The shortest i've seen is 12 feet at $30... seems expensive. :frowning:

These are computer speakers btw, and only need to handle 40 watts per channel

Sebastian

Second Unit
Little confused on your question....
One end of the speaker wire is hardwired to the speaker and the other is what exactly?
Is there a plug or something like this.

Do not use duct tape or super glue. Ideally use heat shrink and solder or black UL tape

Charlie D. M. A

Auditioning
It's not a plug... it's just a lose wire soldered into a solid spike solid. It's like my speaker ends on my theater system.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Cut off the soldered ends and strip the insulation to expose new wire. Solder and tape the new wire onto the old for the best connection, or a crimp-butt splice, I guess. I also have used wire nuts to good effect.

Charlie D. M. A

Auditioning
Thanks for pointing out what's now so obvious. I feel like an idiot for now thinking of it myself. :frowning:
/runs to radioshack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks