What's new

Mike Marshall GATOR STRUT MFSL "Discovery Series" SA-CD (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
First, before the album, what is the "Discovery Series"? My best quess is that MFSL is going to market lesser-known artists, or lesser marketable albums as such for $20 instead of the usual $25. Mike Marshall's GATOR STRUT is the first of this supposed, new series.

I've been trying to think of a category for this album and that ain't E-Z. I think the best I can muster is kuntry/bluegrass/jazz/classical fusion. It's a little bit kuntry, it's a little bit klassical, it's a little bit jazz, look ma, it's shake and bake.

This is a kind of album that just can't become popular in 2-day's repressed, stereo-typical musical dim age, me thinks, which is a cryin' shame! It's all instrumental, strays from stereo-typical genre to genere, sometimes within' a track even, and just defies categorization. That's just fine by me, but I'm anything but a typical music consumer with typical expectations, aren't I? ;)

Mike Marshall is an extrodinary mandolin player. The album's credits credit him with a variety of "mando" instruments beside the reg-lar one. I'm not really sure what all of them are... mandolla, mandocello, and single-string manodola...? However, I'm quite sure he sounds great playing them! He's also credited with playing guitar and violin, but it's the mandolin type instuments that grab ya. It's like who is that madman on mandolin. He can be so-ooo fast!

When I saw the suppourting cast on this album it was an easy decision to go out on a limb, ha, and buy it. How 'bout, Bella Fleck, Jerry Douglas, and Rob Wasserman? The other players were unknown to my concious mind anyways... There are no drums. This is string music, except for a slight bit of keyboards on a few tracks.

As far as material goes, you get a variety for sure. I'm liking Marshall's own composition the most proably because they're new musical ground for me? He does very well with the covers though. He does a big variety to say the least, Bach, Lennon-McCartney, Thelonius Monk, Coltrane, Revel, and some guy named Traditional.;)

Coltrane's GIANT HORNPIPE sounds like it was just written to be a fast country rag. I love the way they play the Beatles BECAUSE real slow with Marshall plucking some "mando" instrument real fast. Marshall sounds right at home, solo, plucking Bach's Partita #3 in E Major for Solo Violin on the mandolin.

Whilst listening to Monk's 'ROUND MIDNIGHT I got this feeling that this unorthodox reading would make great movie soundtrack fare, I don't know why...? CHIEF SITTING IN THE RAIN by that Mr. Traditional really rings a bell with me. First of all they bring in Bella Fleck (banjo) and Jerry Douglas (dobro) for this one. It might be the most "full-bodied" track on the album with one solo after another? It's a 1st rate kuntry rag fer shore! ;)

Marshall's own compositions are sort'a like...hmnn, if you took the original Dixie Dregs, booted the drummer, made 'em play acoustic only, and added mandolin. GATOR STRUT starts out with an almost guitar-like "low Violin" line that for an instant seems rock-like. however, it quickly evolves into something else where quitars and mandolins compete for your attention with violin for rhythm. I just don't know what to call this music but it's intresting.

YBOR CITY has a bit of a flamenco edge to it, especially the guitar intro. After that it sounds more jazzy. GATOR'S DREAM, I don't know what to call it. Alot of mandocello and Violin will have to do. The mandocello almost sounds like a guitar at times. I would of titled the piece Gator's Short Concerto myself, but then that's just me. The piece is definitely neo-classical and at times reminded me of Astor Piazzolla, sort'a.

This is definitely a very eccentric album! If you like this sort of thing, it's definitely a winner. If not, forget it....

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
First, before the album, what is the "Discovery Series"? My best quess is that MFSL is going to market lesser-known artists, or lesser marketable albums as such for $20 instead of the usual $25. Mike Marshall's GATOR STRUT is the first of this supposed, new series.

I've been trying to think of a category for this album and that ain't E-Z. I think the best I can muster is kuntry/bluegrass/jazz/classical fusion. It's a little bit kuntry, it's a little bit klassical, it's a little bit jazz, look ma, it's shake and bake.

This is a kind of album that just can't become popular in 2-day's repressed, stereo-typical musical dim age, me thinks, which is a cryin' shame! It's all instrumental, strays from stereo-typical genre to genere, sometimes within' a track even, and just defies categorization. That's just fine by me, but I'm anything but a typical music consumer with typical expectations, aren't I? ;)

Mike Marshall is an extrodinary mandolin player. The album's credits credit him with a variety of "mando" instruments beside the reg-lar one. I'm not really sure what all of them are... mandolla, mandocello, and single-string manodola...? However, I'm quite sure he sounds great playing them! He's also credited with playing guitar and violin, but it's the mandolin type instuments that grab ya. It's like who is that madman on mandolin. He can be so-ooo fast!

When I saw the suppourting cast on this album it was an easy decision to go out on a limb, ha, and buy it. How 'bout, Bella Fleck, Jerry Douglas, and Rob Wasserman? The other players were unknown to my concious mind anyways... There are no drums. This is string music, except for a slight bit of keyboards on a few tracks.

As far as material goes, you get a variety for sure. I'm liking Marshall's own composition the most proably because they're new musical ground for me? He does very well with the covers though. He does a big variety to say the least, Bach, Lennon-McCartney, Thelonius Monk, Coltrane, Revel, and some guy named Traditional.;)

Coltrane's GIANT HORNPIPE sounds like it was just written to be a fast country rag. I love the way they play the Beatles BECAUSE real slow with Marshall plucking some "mando" instrument real fast. Marshall sounds right at home, solo, plucking Bach's Partita #3 in E Major for Solo Violin on the mandolin.

Whilst listening to Monk's 'ROUND MIDNIGHT I got this feeling that this unorthodox reading would make great movie soundtrack fare, I don't know why...? CHIEF SITTING IN THE RAIN by that Mr. Traditional really rings a bell with me. First of all they bring in Bella Fleck (banjo) and Jerry Douglas (dobro) for this one. It might be the most "full-bodied" track on the album with one solo after another? It's a 1st rate kuntry rag fer shore! ;)

Marshall's own compositions are sort'a like...hmnn, if you took the original Dixie Dregs, booted the drummer, made 'em play acoustic only, and added mandolin. GATOR STRUT starts out with an almost guitar-like "low Violin" line that for an instant seems rock-like. however, it quickly evolves into something else where quitars and mandolins compete for your attention with violin for rhythm. I just don't know what to call this music but it's intresting.

YBOR CITY has a bit of a flamenco edge to it, especially the guitar intro. After that it sounds more jazzy. GATOR'S DREAM, I don't know what to call it. Alot of mandocello and Violin will have to do. The mandocello almost sounds like a guitar at times. I would of titled the piece Gator's Short Concerto myself, but then that's just me. The piece is definitely neo-classical and at times reminded me of Astor Piazzolla, sort'a.

This is definitely a very eccentric album! If you like this sort of thing, it's definitely a winner. If not, forget it....

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Rachel, thanks for the review! This is one that I planned on picking up. How does this compare to something that David Grisman would put out? Also, how is the SACD sound quality?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Rachel, thanks for the review! This is one that I planned on picking up. How does this compare to something that David Grisman would put out? Also, how is the SACD sound quality?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Ron, I'd say the sound quality is certainly well above average for the format. No complaints here! I have nada, zero complaints about any of the new MSFL hybrids and I have most of them. I'm way more impressed with them than I ever was by their CD's in days of old.

I have no albums by David Grisman but his name is seeming strangely, distantly familar. Who might he have played with once upon a time? ...any good hints might set me off?:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Ron, I'd say the sound quality is certainly well above average for the format. No complaints here! I have nada, zero complaints about any of the new MSFL hybrids and I have most of them. I'm way more impressed with them than I ever was by their CD's in days of old.

I have no albums by David Grisman but his name is seeming strangely, distantly familar. Who might he have played with once upon a time? ...any good hints might set me off?:)

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
I just listened to Gator Strut for the first time. Rachel pretty much sums it all up. I appreciate the fine musicianship, but really, this is just background music to my ears. When I listen to music I'm usually in the mood for a particular type of music, not a hodge-podge. The mandolin is a beautiful instrument (remember Bruce Hornsby's "Mandolin Rain"?), but it's easy to O.D. on it's sound after oh, say, 20 minutes or so. It will get another audition, but not right away.

I guess that's what the "Discovery Series" is all about though, right? You "Discovery" that you don't like it so much. :) I'll buy whatever else they release in the series because there is sure to be some good stuff to come (MOFI rarely gets it wrong). Dave

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
I just listened to Gator Strut for the first time. Rachel pretty much sums it all up. I appreciate the fine musicianship, but really, this is just background music to my ears. When I listen to music I'm usually in the mood for a particular type of music, not a hodge-podge. The mandolin is a beautiful instrument (remember Bruce Hornsby's "Mandolin Rain"?), but it's easy to O.D. on it's sound after oh, say, 20 minutes or so. It will get another audition, but not right away.

I guess that's what the "Discovery Series" is all about though, right? You "Discovery" that you don't like it so much. :) I'll buy whatever else they release in the series because there is sure to be some good stuff to come (MOFI rarely gets it wrong). Dave

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Dave, I find the musicanship too compelling to be just background music. Well, maybe GATOR'S DREAM slip a bit into the background quality snooz zone. Sum auf dat odder stuff shore do not.:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Dave, I find the musicanship too compelling to be just background music. Well, maybe GATOR'S DREAM slip a bit into the background quality snooz zone. Sum auf dat odder stuff shore do not.:)

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe you're right, Rachael. I listened to it last night (SACD)and again at work today (CD). Seems my earlier comments were a bit hasty. I've now listened to both the hirez layer and the CD layer. Lawdy, lawdy what a difference! A talented group O'dudes, no doubt. Dave

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe you're right, Rachael. I listened to it last night (SACD)and again at work today (CD). Seems my earlier comments were a bit hasty. I've now listened to both the hirez layer and the CD layer. Lawdy, lawdy what a difference! A talented group O'dudes, no doubt. Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks