What's new

Midnite Movies (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

WB did initially produce PRIME TIME, but they sold the movie outright to Cannon, so it is MGM's.

TUNNEL VISION was produced by concert promoter, "NIGHT FLIGHT" creator, and political activist Stuart Shapiro. There was a DVD released on his short-lived "Cult DVD" label, which also released J-MEN FOREVER, concerts by Andy Kaufman and Johnny Thunders, and other offbeat culture jams. All these DVDs are currently out of print, and when I last spoke to Shapiro, he was looking for a new distributor for his material, and considering a new expanded DVD of TUNNEL VISION.

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator
What I can't understand is why they chose obscure cheapies like THE EARTH DIES SCREAMING and PHANTOM FROM 10,000 LEAGUES for the last set of MMs. Surely they must've known that any movie with Cushing, Lee, or Price would've sold better than that stuff.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Sad truth is, the company feels these things weren't selling well enough. I can't see that either, but there it is.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
They may have sold better if 1) made flippers that sold for $9.95 rather than 2-disc sets and charging $14.95 and 2) offered the MGM/Warner holdings that people were looking for rather than Fox holdings first that had little following. Then the figures would have been different.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
I just saw Quatermass Xperiment (listed as Creeping Unknown) on MGM HD.
It looked great!

What are the chances of these eventually being available as DVD on demand, like the Warner Archive?

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
This just barely escapes the Midnite Movie treatment

could we have an anamorphically enhanced extended LIFEFORCE?
Fergawdsakes!?

forget about an SE...I guess...
I see that the BR of this title is in a TBA listing on Amazon

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator

There are also several MM titles in need of an anamorphic release - most notably, THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM.

Martin Welch

Agent
Real Name
Martin Welch
:angry: I can't believe for the second year in a row that we can expect nothing from MGM. How is this possible? Does this company read this forum and how about a chat with them, or are they that much in the crapper.

I wan't more midnite movies damnit!

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Asking for anamorphic reissues of previously released titles when there are so many titles not yet released at all? I don't get it. OK, I do get it. We all have our favorites and want better versions. That's fine. Unfortunately, my favorite film of all time is still in MGM's vaults and hasn't been released on DVD at all - and I am talking about a major studio production, not an AIP film. I sure want that film out way before another release of LIFEFORCE, but that's just me.

I think catalog DVD is pretty much dead. The industry is tanking on such titles. Why else would Warners revert back to DVD-R instead of making real DVDs? Besides us movie-buff fanatics here on these forums, the majority of the population is really only interested in new blockbuster movies. And as the years pass, it will only get worse for the older catalog movies.

Some fans of Midnite Movie type of films said in this very thread that they have never even heard of many of the still-unreleased MM titles listed here. If genre fans have never even heard about so many of these movies, who is going to buy them? I will and maybe a few hundred others will - or maybe even a thousand will, but is that worth it to MGM? So much effort and they may only break even in the end. James Bond sells over 1,000 units in 1 minute on release day. Why bother with all that old stuff?

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator

If these old catalog titles aren't worth anything, then why don't the studios just allow people to download whatever digital transfers are available in exchange for some minimal fee? Obviously Warner is heading in that direction with its archive program, but $20 per title - it's actually $26 per title if you include shipping and tax - is totally unrealistic. Both Warner and movie fans would be better off if they had emulated iTunes; i.e., charge $1.99 (or whatever is necessary to cover the cost of bandwidth) to download a movie, and allow people to burn their own DVD-Rs.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Have we been reduced to the point where we're willing to settle for barebones, burnt discs at premium prices from all the studios now? How depressing.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Well, I'm not totally sold on that idea either, just wondering. I think digital downloads might be as likely. But I do love a proper dvd release, like most of us here!

Martin Welch

Agent
Real Name
Martin Welch
What gets me is that companies like Code Red, Severin, Synapse ect release a number of cult movies, many of them even more lower tier (in terms of being heard of) than some of the more obscure AIP stuff MGM owns. So why don't they license them out? I can just imagine what a company like Code Red could do with Dagmar's Hot Pants or Blood and Lace.

And surely it's time for MGM to release their Hammer titles (Quatermass xperiment, Twins of Evil, Hands of the ripper, Vampire Circus) or just please license them out to any company that would love to do special editions.

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui

Apparently their last lot of Midnite movies didn't sell very well.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
They just need to be more selective. There are many people are buying from bootleggers so they should do their research! ;)

Some great ones listed on this thread would be no brainers for me... Terrorvision, Town that Dreaded Sundown, Vampire Circus, The DungeonMaster, and tons of others I'd consider simply because they were Midnite Movie releases.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Ah, the annual Midnite Movie thread.........how depressing. :frowning:

Put me down for BURN, WITCH, BURN, THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT, TWINS OF EVIL, HANDS OF THE RIPPER, VAMPIRE CIRCUS and an anamorphic re-release of THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM. There are more I'd probably purchase but these are my most wanted.

Midnite Movie line, Horror set, license them out to a company that might be interested (Legend, Anchor Bay, Blue Underground)........I don't care.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I feel angry that burn-on-demand DVDs are priced higher than regular DVDs. You'd think it would be the opposite.

Maybe someday, it will be ... the day may come where you can request anything you want for maybe $5 a title.

Until then, I feel angry and I just wanted the world to know about it.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm still waiting for MGM to announce their regular Halloween '09 horror lineup. I'm hoping that remakes of The Stepfather, Scanners and Motel Hell will spur them to re-release SE's of the originals, plus other films from their Orion and Embassy catalogs. I'm more of a fan of movies made between 1975-87. Remember the glory early days of DVD announcements when we would breathlessly await the Halloween stuff? I miss those days. I refuse to believe MGM is dead

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks