What's new

Midnite Movies (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Peter Fonda makes Future World a must own. I bought the old VHS years ago. I'd glady update it to a DVD. But there isn't one single thing about Future World that ranks it up there with Westworld. The final 3rd of Westworld is one of the most tense moments I've ever seen in a film. Definitely reminds me about why I bother with films at all. When I was a kid I had nightmares about that reveal near the end of the film. I'll never forget the weird dream I had. I dreamed I was eating soggy breakfast cereal out of Brenners robot face plate. yeah, scarred for life! But worth it.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
FUTUREWORLD is a Warner Brothers film so discussing it in the MGM "Midnite Movies" thread is a bit pointless.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Oh, yes, you're absolutely right. I had a temporary brain spasm there thinking it was just MGM like WESTWORLD and would now be with Warner. But it was an AIP production so it still resides with MGM. Thanks for the correction!

So I will now chime in as others have and say I'd like to see FUTUREWORLD as a Midnite Movie release as well. I agree the film is far inferior to WESTWORLD, but I still enjoy it on its own merits, substandard as some of it may be.

EDIT: This is somewhat depressing, but I guess it's to be expected nowadays: Westworld (2009)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
They've been promising that Westworld remake for ages. I'm not altogether unintested. Jurassic Park was the closest thing we got so far and it was freaking amazing. You just never know. But the most important roles better be filled with competent actors. Yul will be nearly impossible to replace. Daniel Day Lewis perhaps? He's very intense in what he does.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
A number of critics rate Futureworld quite favorably with Westworld. TV Guide gives Westworld a 3.5 out of 4 and Futureworld a 3 oout of 4. Leonard Maltin gives Westworld and Futureworld a 3 out of 4.

There are several areas that Futureworld outshines Westworld. Futureworld is much more impressive looking than Westworld. The filmakers' ability to shoot at Nasa facilities gives this film an edge.

Also Futureworld is a better acted film. Westworld benefits from the presence of Yul Brenner but Peter Fonda and Blythe Danner give excellent performances. Arthur Hill steals the show as the silky Mr Duffy. I'll agree that the bit with Brenner was totally lame.

From a physical sense Westworld is more intense than Futureworld. Westworld is pure action adventure while Futureworld is more intrigue than action. I personally find Futureworld is scarier especially since cloning is becoming more and more a reality everyday.

Also you will never be able to replace Yul Brenner. Brenner was one of those actors that had a larger than life presence about him. John Wayne would be another example. I can't think of any actor today that has that.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^^^ :emoji_thumbsup:

Although I must be in the minority since I've liked Brenner's portion of FW. Kind of surreal. It's always stuck with me over the years.

Who could play that gunfighter? Maybe Erney from Full Metal Jacket? But the part demands intensity even when there's no speaking. In fact, it's the non-speaking stuff that does it and Erney is most scary when he's saying stuff. I googled "intense actor" and Daniel Day Lewis came up. Interesting. That is my choice. Remember that part from Alien with Holm going nuts? sometimes I find myself laughing at that because Holm is so short it looks funny like Trumpy's brothers from Pod People. Brenner wasn't exactly a giant. So there is a lot at work in his performance. It's just the terminator persistance of the character that makes it so scary. I can't stress enough how much I love that final 3rd of the film right after the line "he shot me" (or "I'm shot"), it never lets up. I'd vote that among the greatest 3rd acts on film ever.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Wow, I wouldn't use any of these terms to describe FUTUREWORLD myself. I never found it intense, intriguing, or scary in the least, and I saw it when it first came out. I do think it's a fun B-picture overall, but we're going to have to disagree on its merits.

EDIT: Guys, it's Yul Brynner, not Brenner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks