What's new

Mid/high end separates advice (1 Viewer)

Jon SS

Auditioning
I am researching a mid/high end 5.1/7.1 system and am looking for some advice. I have already decided on the speakers that I intend to buy (Monitor Audio Gold Reference 60s, centre, 10s and FB212 sub) but need some help on the separates.

So far I am considering the following which should all be in the same price range:
1. Integra Research RDC-7 and RDA-7
2. Krell Showcase processor and power amp
3. Theta Digital Casanova processor and Intrepid power amp.

I ideally want a 7.1 system with balanced outputs and video switching and will probably be using the system for 60%HT and 40% music. I have not auditioned these systems yet but have looked at many reviews. I will probably audition them later this summer when I move to Canada.

Any advice and comments on the above would be appreciated, especially from anybody who has any of the systems. I know the Krell Showcase just came out. The next thing to decide on are cables and interconnects.

Many thanks in advance

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I heard from a local dealer that Krell's customer support was TERRIBLE. IE, if your amp malfuntions your out for months, and they don't care because their "KRELL!".

I'd put my money someplzce else after hearing this from a good source.

Brandon Blair

Stunt Coordinator
Krell is in big financial trouble, I wouldn't spend any money on them right now or any time in the future.
Check out the Moon line by Simaudio. The atrraction 7.1 processor with the Titan 7 channel amp is absolutely incredible. Look here www.simaudio.com You won't find anything to outperform this stuff anywhere.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
since you're going to be in canada...i suggest looking into the classe ssp-30 mated with their cav-180 and two cam-200's. note: this system will be 7.1 but not connectable via balanced connections. however, the ssp-75 and cav-500 system (or cav-180) would be fully balanced but only 5.1. either would probably be a killer system but it just really depends upon what's most important to you.

kevin t

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would ask around and find out if Krell is going to be around for the long term ? As the new Krell 7.1 preamp has been getting rave reveiws. If the company is not going under I would concider this preamp for your system. Also have you thought about going with a solid a/v preamp and running a Lexicon processor with it ? That may be your best bet and best choice ? Not aware of anything that can bet the Lexicon for surround sound. And by getting something that can be run passive you should be able to get better sounding pure audio from it. Like Kevin said, it all depends upon what's most important to you. IMHO I do not think there is alot of 7.1 gear out there and as of yet there is no 7.1 material out there. I would do alot of research and listen and buy what you are happy with. McItosh makes a very good MX-132 preamp/tuner/processor but is 6.1. I do not remember what the complanets where about the Theta Digital. But I remember aditioning the Casablance a few years ago. I remember that it was a very solid and clean sounding preamp processor. At the time I was happier with my McItosh MX-130 even though my 130 did not have DD and DTS. If I was in the market for a high end 6.1 system min. I would look at the Krell, McItosh, the new Cinepro DTC-10 it may be something to look into? And the Theta Digital. Let us know how this goes for you.

Alex F.

Second Unit
Dave:

McIntosh's new MX-134 is equipped for 7.1. If I recall correctly, it lists for $7,000. Details at McIntoshlabs.com.

Happy listening!

Jon SS

Auditioning
Many thanks for the input, it will take a while to figure out what I want to buy, especially since I will be spending so much $$.

I tried to find out more info on Krell's service and financial trouble but could not find anything (even on Reuters re: financial trouble).

Does anybody know where I can find out about this?

Thanks

DeanChat

Auditioning
Check out the new Aragon Stage Two processor it looks mighty impressive. Also, the McIntosh MX-134 processor was dubbed an "instant classic" by a magazine recently. I have heard good things about McIntosh customer service too.

-Dean

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
I will second the recommendation of the Sim Audio Processor (it's basically an EAD Signature with some modifications - sonically, second to none). The Sim Audio amp is, no doubt, fantastic, but I would mate the processor with a Theta amplifier. Theta amplifiers are the best amps I've heard.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I hadn't heard of Krell's financial problems, but in this economy nothing surprises me.

I haven't heard the Krell Showcase gear, but considering it's the budget line of a budget line, the KAV series, I won't hold my breath, as I've been less than impressed with Krell’s KAV gear. Their FPB and KCT gear, however, is a different story.

Theta makes excellent gear, and between the three you mentioned I would probably go with them. I'd recommend the Dreadnaught over the Intrepid, however, as it doubles your power and is only a couple thousand more. The Dreadnaught is also more flexible as you can have three 200 watt channels for the front and four 100 watt channels for the rear, thus giving you 7.1.

I haven't personally heard the Onkyo Integra Research gear, but I know that BAT lent a hand in the designing of it, which is a good thing. Reviews have been positive as well. Because it’s not a high-end brand, however, resale could be poor, but a substantial discount might counteract this. Considering it’s a mid-fi brand, I would think a substantial discount would be easy to come by

This said, however, I would personally go with Classe’, as they make the best pre/pros for music in my opinion. The Classe’ gear’s slight warmth would also mate well with your slightly bright Monitor Audio Gold speakers.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Alex
Was not aware that there was a MX-134 from McIntosh. Thanks for the info :)

Hey Jon
I would definatly look into the McItosh IMHO is one of the best choices out there. I had a McIntosh MX-130 and that was the best peice I have ever owened. I even audioned the Cello preamp and the McIntosh IMHO was the bomb. I had one problem with the unit powering off the only problem was with the repair facility. After contacting McItosh directly the part was sent out the next day and my problem was handled. I was able to talk to someone in the company with some pull and I have nothing but praise for how they handled my problem. There customer service is top notch and so is there product. If I could afford a new McItosh I would not hesitate for a millisecond. Have fun Jon and hope to hear from you in the future.

Michael Langdon

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the Aragon unit is the Stage One and it does not have balanced outputs. You may also want to look at the Anthem AVM 20 which does have balanced outputs. Wait for the upgrade (anytime now) to get Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS ES Discrete, THX Ultra 2, etc.

Mike

KeithR

Second Unit
As Krell is a privately owned company, please share how you know about there troubles? I assume you have inside info, no?

If not, saying things like this is inappropriate.

As far as the original poster goes...the Krell looks like a lot of bang for the buck and will be the newest of the 3 you have listed and is fully balanced. I would also pick it over Mac...although I am not a fan of Mac amps, hence my major hesitation.

In fact, I might go with the Showcase, and get the Intrepid or Dreadnaught.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I'll second an entry for the Anthem AVM-20.
http://www.anthemav.com/frames/mixfr.html
You may also want to take a look at the Cinepro DTC-10, which should be out soon. It'll satisfy the Classe' fans here as it's designed by the guy who started Classe' (I think his name is Classe' too!). And unlike the Classe' processors, this one promises to be up to date in terms of surround formats and features.
Link Removed

Brandon Blair

Stunt Coordinator
Don't have time right now, but i'll post the info on what i've heard about Krell's financial troubles later this afternoon. Its all stuff that came out at the show in NY a few weeks ago.

ling_w

Second Unit
I better dump all my Krell equipment before they become as sellable as Kinergetic/Genesis/Accoustat... ;)
BTW, this rumor about Krell going kaput has been floating around for a while. The last one I heard a few months ago was that they spend all their money developing their metal speakers.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Isn't that alittle drastic Ling W? If anything I would hold on to your Krell gear! It is still going to be good gear and it is most likely only going to push it up in value if they to go out of business. But mainly I would keep it because it is such good quality componants. Hell if I had the money I would keep my eye on stores selling new Krell gear off cheap. It is also a good chance that there will be great deals on used gear. I hope they will be around for a while as they do make a very good product.

Brandon Blair

Stunt Coordinator
Pretty simply here is the story on Krell. They had gotten in a pretty good debt recently due to whatever reasons, not real sure. So they have taken a $2 million loan from the owner of Harmon Kardon. They have a certain time frame in which it must be paided off, i'm not sure what it is though, and if they don't then Harmon Kardon will take ownership and control over the company. What this means for Krell's products and there value, who knows? But personally i wouldn't go out and spend that much money on something when there are more stable companies out there with equally good electronics in the same price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks