What's new

Microwaving Water Dangerous! (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Why don't you try it and let us know? ;) Or have your next-of-kin do so?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Best guess is the brass would cause arcing, which could eventually set off the main powder charge. I'm not sure if the heat/electricity from the spark hitting the outside of the case would be able to set off the primer in a standard round. (I know that some very rapid-fire weapons, like the Vulcan mini-gun, use electrical firing systems, but I think they also use special primers to work with them.)

Either way, I think you'd be buying a new microwave, at the very least. :D

Regards,

Joe

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
You can always get cheap scuzzy microwaves that still work on craigslist for about $25.

I'll bet a 12 gauge shotgun shell would be best: there's an insulating gap between the base of the shell and the pellets - a perfect setup for arcing - with the powder charge between them.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Yeah, but where are you going to get the bullet-proof glass barrier you'll need to sit behind to observe the experiment, and the generator to power the microwave at the remote site you'll need to take it to? Maybe we should just ask the Mythbusters. There's no actual myth related to this, but that's never stopped them before. We just have to e-mail them that we've heard microwaving bullets will set them off (or that doing so won't set them off) and let them take it from there.

(OK, now I've got to figure out a reason why Kari would have to wear a pair of tight jeans to test this myth before I write the e-mail...
)

Regards,

Joe

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Joe, I was just thinkin'.......

Besides which, we need to start planning the entertainment for the next Scooterpalooza, which if I understand correctly will be held in wild west Wyoming. :laugh:

They could even film the documentary: "Brokeback Microwave".

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
being 6-7 months pregnant, I bet all of her pants are tight fitting ;)

as for the ammo in the microwave, I wonder if anything would really happen. Don't microwaves just heat water wapor? or are you thinking that the metal would cause a spark like tinfoil does??

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Actually the microwave's cavity magnetron is tuned to one of the vibrational frequencies of a water molecule. But it will cause nasty arcing when metal is present - I once made the mistake of trying to heat water in a coffee mug with metalic trim. Looked like the 4th of July in there. :eek:

The cavity magnetron was one of the biggest secrets of WWII, permitting centimeter wavelength RADAR. Now we use it to defrost food. Time marches on.

Marianne

Supporting Actor

I think you should have said:

being 6-7 months pregnant, all of her pants are tight fitting, I bet

OR

I bet that, because she is 6-7 months pregnant, all of her pants are tight fitting

OR

she's fat

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Strictly speaking, in the quotation above, the object of "being 6-7 months pregnant" is the word "I" (which is to say, "you") and not "her". It is simply the way English sentence structure works. The phrase before the comma refers to the first noun after the comma. As noted above, if you'd written something like "I'll be that being 6-7 months pregnant, Kari probably finds all of her pants tight-fitting", it would have worked.

It is really a very minor point, and this seems to be a point of grammar that is just disappearing from the language. (To the detriment of clarity.) I see the same sort of thing all the time these days in newspapers, on TV and on radio commercials.

Regards,

Joe

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but I also quoted Joseph and since I didn't start the sentence with a capital B, it should have been implied that I was continuing his thought.This is a web forum which is very casual. If I were typing a news article, I would have used proper grammar, but if I were having a casual conversation with a friend, it would go like this:

Joe: "I've got to figure out a reason why Kari would have to wear a pair of tight jeans to test this myth"
Mark: "being 6-7 months pregnant, I bet all of her pants are tight fitting"

In this instance (of casual conversation), I am following your train of thought where it should be implied that I am speaking of Kari and not myself.

Sure, I probably should have said "being that she's 6-7 months pregnant, I bet all of her pants are tight fitting", but I always seem to forget that all of my posts are graded. ;)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
It's all in good fun, Mark. I'm pretty sure nobody failed to follow the train of thought and actually believed you were pregnant. ;)

But, more importantly, that doesn't matter any more. We need to turn our helpful, rehabilitative, will-crushing, grammar-Nazi attention toward Marianne now that she clearly thinks that all of Kari's pants are pregnant.

Being a card-carrying member of the Grammar-Nazi Patrol Unit, you'll never catch me making a mistake like that. ;)

Marianne

Supporting Actor

You are right, it does sound like all her pants are preggers.

One is descending a slippery slope when one tries to correct the grammar of others.

(That doesn't sound right, either!) ;)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I think there's is actually an "internet law" about this which states that "Any post correcting the grammar, usage or spelling of an internet post will contain its own error in grammar, usage or spelling." I just can't remember the name of the darned thing.

Regards,

Joe

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Why, thank you. You're too kind. It's an honor to have...

Hey! I know where you're going at with this! Are you implicationalizing what I think you're implicationalizing?

Besides, I already have four "Brian's Laws" attributed to me. I don't want to brag, or anything, but one of them has to do with bowling.

Users who are viewing this thread