What's new

Microsoft to officially unveil Xbox next, aka Durango May 21 (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah, you REALLY don't want to play that one in Hardcore mode (permadeath!) =)

Either way, I'm not buying that this tech is going to make it into next xbox but its damn cool.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
That projection system isn't new (they showed it off a few months ago) and I also doubt that would actually be something they push for a new Xbox. It has to be extremely expensive (a projector that is at least relatively decent plus an Xbox has to be way more than most people are willing to spend) and you would need a good living room layout to use this. I could see it being something that they release but is similar in market size and sales to the giant surface tables they made a couple years ago. No way would this end up in people's homes.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The funny thing is your comments echo EXACTLY the kinds of comments that landed about 2 weeks before Microsoft officially announced Kinect. It's uncanny. =)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
And how did Kinect turn out? It hasn't sold in Japan, doesn't have the attach rate for consoles that make it ubiquitous, and has next to zero support. That's how add-on peripherals go, but especially one that has silly requirements.

Also, MS just announced that Illumiroom is purely a tech demo at this point and is absolutely nowhere near reaching the next Xbox's launch. I don't know if I even see this as being something that eventually comes out for the next console.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Kinnect has sold incredibly well in the US. I see a lot of them, and most new XBOXs come with them. They aren't perfect, but it is kind of neat.
Since Ilumiroom isn't anything but Beta this summer, no way can it be a launch option with the XBOX720 or whatever.. but it shows you that MS is thinking about a refresh or add ons for this XBOX later as they go.. and something like Illumiroom would be pretty unbelievable. The tech demos are fantastic

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
While it's true the success of the Kinect can be debated, it is good to see MS and companies trying to keep innovating. Just because something didn't work the first time doesn't mean it can't take off if done properly. I seem to remember tablets being DOA when they were first released over a decade ago. Thank goodness Apple never gave up on that idea, huh? :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
mattCR - The Kinect sold well for what it is, but not necessarily well. Something around 24 million, which for a console that has sold over 80 million, is not that great. On top of that, no games that support it are good.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
E3 should be very interesting this year.Lots to show off.Right now I'm not interested in getting a PS4. Things could change.But I'm looking at getting the new Xbox. (Unless what they show isn't impressive)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
JohnS - Considering there is nothing concrete about the next Xbox and a decent amount of info about the PS4, I'm curious why you're anticipating one but not the other.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Well, I want one "new" system.I'm not going to rush to get two new systems day one.I've been burned by the PS3 buying it new and having to repair it two times.I've been lucky with the Xbox360 so far. So I'm confident that a new Xbox system won't let me down unlike the PS3 did.I have a handful of Xbox friends that will more than likely get the new system for Call of Duty alone. So that's one reason why I want the new Xbox.I eventually will get a PS4, just will wait it out a bit.I have hundreds of PS games from the online store(that i downloaded free from being a member) that I'm hoping will be transported over to the PS4.Now, after watching live footage from E3 could possibly change my mind and make me want to get both systems day one.But I'm gonna have to be highly impressed.There's going to be a few games that are PS4 only that are going to push me over the edge. Uncharted 4 being one of them.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm getting both but I am far more excited for PS4 because MS appears to be doing a lot of really fing dumb things based on corporate greed, based solely on rumors which may or may not be true

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
The other thing I forgot is that I have a PSVita.I haven't touched it in about seven months, due to the fact that I still need to buy bigger space for all my stuff to play on it.I guess another reason to get a PS4 is the compatibility it can bring with it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'd like to get the new Xbox, assuming the controller is good. I've never liked the PS controller, and the PS4 appears to be as bad as ever. That said, I wouldn't mind finding a very cheap PS3 to play a couple exclusive games. Same with the Wii U...maybe Nintendo will have a fire sale and I can get some Mario cheap. It's been a while.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Sam Posten said:
I'm getting both but I am far more excited for PS4 because MS appears to be doing a lot of really fing dumb things based on corporate greed, based solely on rumors which may or may not be true
#dealwithit

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised Sony didn't alter their controller in terms of feel. I agree with Dave - the Xbox controller has always fit in my hand better. And it has nothing to do with the thought process years ago that Sony being a Japanese company tailored their fit for the smaller hands of their Asian demographic while MS was targeting larger American hands (not even sure if this is a true stereotype). But I'm a 5'7" Pacific Islander so I should be more comfortable with Sony's controller, but I completely prefer Xbox's larger controller which seems to rest comfortably in my hands and makes playing FPS much easier.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm also hoping both of these new systems doesn't have a new version of "red light of death" and "yellow light if death"

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Actually John it's the red *ring* of death [RROD]... :P

People seem to have forgotten the original 360s had a pretty high fail rate, related to overheating, where MS would simply swap out the consoles for people who had problems (and actually went to the unheard of step of extending manufacturer warranty coverage because the RROD wasn't a rarity, it was a well-documented, regularly occurring phenomenon).

I remember I didn't buy my 360 until the Jasper chipset came out, which was a die-shrink of the GPU along with lower overall power consumption, which resulted in theoretically less heat and less chance of RROD. Five years and running, still none so knock on wood, although I had two friends who both had RRODs on their first gen 360s and have had MS replace it twice until they got a Jasper version.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I got a PS3 in 2008 and held out on a 360 until the smaller Kinect-bundled one. Haven't had a problem with either, but I'm also pretty careful and have them very well ventilated.I also have a PS Vita but I got a 32 GB card when I bought it. Honestly...I probably play it nearly every day, even if just for a few minutes. Do you have PS+? It's probably the best thing Sony's ever done for their hardware.I don't play online games (no CoD, no Battlefield, no Halo) so the appeal to me of each system is the quality of the exclusives. I also don't play games to 100% (for example, I played Bioshock Infinite on Normal, straight through once, that's all) and prefer to buy cheap/used. I may wait on the new consoles, or I may buy them Day 1 since I have disposable income and *some* free time. Heck, I got a Wii U at launch, so I might as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks